Was the Wii a disappointment?

#21nilesthebravePosted 12/21/2012 1:54:00 AM
I think the Wii will be looked back on fondly. I system's have a tendency to gain popularity after they die off. I think it's more nostalgia, I think it's everyone forgets let's party 85 and grandma's sing along 14 fade from memory and you're left with what was good. The NES was the same way, a ton of games that just left a bitter taste in your mouth at the time, but looking back on it it had some amazing games that are still fantastic today.

Give it a couple of years and everyone will remember it fondly. Same thing happened with Dreamcast, noone really gave a crap about it when it was out, but now all you hear is how it was the greatest system ever.
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska
#22Chocobo115Posted 12/21/2012 2:05:09 AM
BoosterBurst posted...
Chocobo115 posted...
jedinat posted...
Chocobo115 posted...
didn't like Twilight Princess.

So you're problem with the Wii, game-wise, was a single Gamecube port? Uh-huh.

I bought the Wii mainly to play Twilight Princess, yes. I didn't like it. Didn't like the tacked on motion controls. Got bored and just quit playing in some water temple.
Super Mario Galaxy was fine.
As was SSBB, but I'm not much for competitive gaming so only did that singleplayer.
Haven't really touched the Wii since.
I simply have more fun on my PS3, it gives me the gaming experiences I prefer over what Wii offered.

why the heel didn't you play the far superior version, the definitive version for game cube?

you only have yourself to blame

Cause I was young...er back then and falsely assumed it'd be better on the Wii, cause you know it was the new Nintendo console and I assumed motion controls wouldn't have been as bad as it was?
#23Love-WilcoxPosted 12/21/2012 2:15:41 AM
Yes and No, but mostly no.

The Wii was absolutely brilliant ... until the end of 2010. Support for the Wii just took a huge nosedive in 2011 and beyond and unfortunatily without games there just isn't a reason to play.

I still hope that people will be able to remember that beyond the torrent of shovelware the Wii had some fanatastic games, many of which are more "hardcore" (I hate using that word xD) and niche than would be found on other consoles of this past generation.

Oh and Mario Galaxy.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox
#24guedesbrawlPosted 12/21/2012 2:15:54 AM
not for me.over 50 games worthy of my time, them there's the internet channel that got me over 800 hours in.and the VC 2.0,the things you can do home...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#25Emperor_mateusPosted 12/21/2012 2:47:53 AM
It did't disapoint me. Sure it was by far the weakest console, but there where still lots and lots of games I wanted to play on it.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#26MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 12/21/2012 2:55:10 AM
My Wii collected more dust than my vacuum...and sucked more for that matter.
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#27Dark_Link92Posted 12/21/2012 3:00:22 AM
Not for me. I had a load of great games from it.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#28SorsShinjoPosted 12/21/2012 3:03:23 AM
i'm playing games since over 25 years, and while the wii was indeed a disappointment for me, it has to be put into the right perspective:

I order my games roughly in 3 categories:
-I will come back to it (or any worthy sequel) even in many years
-Games i thoroughly enjoyed
-And those who make me think i wasted my time and money

The first category is usually evenly shared between all consoles each generation and this was not changed. There are a handful of wii games that i regularly come back too and will fondly remember. There's also a disproportional big number of shovelware for a console, but this doesn't affect me since as a PC player i am able to simply identify those titles before i buy them.

The big disappointment was solely about the first party titles, while i am no hardcore nintendo fan, SSBM, many Mario games, many Zelda games, Mario Kart, etc. all count to to those games i hold in very high regard. And while i didn't enjoy every sequel they are almost evenly shared among each generation, with even the less enjoyable ones usually still in my 2nd category. But with the Wii every sequel of the major nintendo IPs made me regret the money i payed for it with Excitebots, Wario Ware and Kirby's Return to Dreamland beeing the only exceptions (I didn't get Punch Out, Mario Party and Fire Emblem for the Wii though ), and of the new IP most were a disappointment, too.

As such i have to say it's less the problem that i was disappointed with the wii, but that i was disappointed with most of the wii's first party titles.

And for those interested, heres the list of my favorite Wii games:
-Dokapon Kingdom
-Zangeki no Reginleiv
-Tatsunoko vs Capcom
-Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (I know it's a first party game)
---
If you feel scammed by a company but don't want to stop playing their games: Buy them used, it's the smart gamer's boycott method
#29AnclationPosted 12/21/2012 3:33:47 AM
I was very happy with the Wii, easily my favorite Nintendo console since the N64. Smash Bros. Brawl, Xenoblade, Skyward Sword and the two Galaxy games were only some of the reasons I had a great time with that console.
#30AMGPosted 12/21/2012 6:00:19 AM
I don't consider it a disappointment. There is a lot of good games on the Wii.