Still don't get how Nintendo couldn't see the Wii U naming scheme being a fumble

#1ebj767Posted 12/25/2012 11:00:26 PM
So many peripheral gamers still believe its an accessory to the Wii, and not a next-gen system. Maybe theres some sort of thing in Japan/Japanese that avoids this, but I see people on FB ask "Is that a extra controller?", my Mom had researched the system before buying one for my brother because she wasn't sure what she was spending $350 on.

Is this issue for a core gamer, or rather Nintendo fans like us? No. But I even have a few semi-serious games who game on PS3/360 who had to ask me what it was about.

Does this really matter? No. All my first party Nintendo games will come out no matter the sales. And I'm sure this will clear up in time, but its no doubt slowing initial momentum.

Just don't see how a room full of corporate members sat down at conference tables in NOA/NOJ/NOE/etc. and said, you know what, there may be serious product identity issues here, but to hell with it, Wii U.

I get it, the Wii U uses the Wii remotes and shares a lot of qualities with the Wii, still could have done something for a more differentiating/distinguishing product name.
#2spartansbrotherPosted 12/25/2012 11:04:47 PM
haha most of them probably dont even know all the states...or half....or even the anthem....or the back of their hand
---
*wipes brown*
#3Xenesis XenonPosted 12/25/2012 11:05:28 PM
I assume because it wasn't a problem with:

Nintendo Entertainment System to Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Gameboy to Gameboy Colour to Gameboy Advance
Nintendo DS to Nintendo 3DS

They didn't see Wii to Wii U being a legitimate concern.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#4Jx1010Posted 12/25/2012 11:08:26 PM
Its ok,
we all here know whats up
#5thereallawrencePosted 12/25/2012 11:15:33 PM
I hear ya but, come on, at a certain point you just gotta say its 2013 and the Internet has existed in all of its modern glory for almost 20 years. People can look junk up. Besides, one could make the same argument for the Xbox 360. "What is this like..an Xbox peripheral that lets you spin around as you play or something?"
#6ebj767(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2012 6:35:58 PM(edited)
I guess part of it is the main attraction the console is the Wii U Controller, and the device itself isn't marketed/shown, when you see/think Wii U its straight to the tablet, which is good since it is the main drive, but the console itself and what it is as a next gen console isn't as clear and it looks very similar to the Wii, most people wouldn't notice much looking the device even if the weren't drawn to the controller.

I guess you're right about the Gameboy and 3DS. Althought they did have some more notificable form factors though. The 360 arguement I don't know, its a numerical increase like the PS1/2/3 so its almost implied.
#7lgiPosted 12/26/2012 6:36:58 PM
It wasn't a fumble. They are capitalizing on the success of the Wii.
#8Spandau BalletPosted 12/26/2012 6:42:04 PM
I work at a HMV in England (pretty much a Gamestop but we primarilly sell films and music) and I have to explain to customers everyday that it's a brand new console not just a new controller. The marketing for this thing has been dreadful from day 1.
---
Hello, I'm a British person.
#9diggyfreshPosted 12/26/2012 6:45:21 PM
nintendo should have made a new name.
#10PyjamaHeroPosted 12/26/2012 6:47:24 PM
I actually agree. I had to convince my mom Super Nintendo was not at all the same as my regular nes. I also heard a game section employee tell a mother inquiring about the 3ds that it was "Exactly the same as a DS except it could play 3d games." And she walked away with a regular ds.

These kinds of mistakes are probably fairly common and people will be peeved at Nintendo for vague names of hardware. Apparently it's not that big of a deal though.
---
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.