I find it perplexing when people use the argument "the 3DS will keep Nintendo...

#51DBPanterAPosted 12/26/2012 11:52:36 AM
Phange 2 posted...
...afloat"

Do people not realize that it has thus far been the costliest mistake Nintendo has ever made (due to timing, an unwarranted price drop, and a strong yen)?

Nintendo desperately needs e Wii U to sell gangbusters and with a high first party attach rate. The 3DS is causing them to hemorrhage cash at an unprecedented rate.

You have absolutely no concept of the global video game market.

There is a reason why the 3DS supassed the PS3 in sales a few weeks ago in Japan: The Japanese culture does not veg out and spend hours parked in front of a TV playing some time consuming FPS/RPG/etc.

In fact, I would argue that because Nintendo has seen such success with the 3DS in its home country, it will focus its energy on that system, in regards to DLC (of which the Japanese have bought up small DLC packages from Nintendo at alarming rates, much higher than DLC attachment rates than the US).

What you see among your friends, at the local store, etc. is not a true barometer to what is actually going on. . .
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#52squatch22Posted 12/26/2012 11:54:03 AM
Nintendo expects a full year profit again this year
---
LR posted: And the PSP isn't a Sony console so why would I make that claim?
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#53NeojianXPosted 12/26/2012 12:07:59 PM
Could help them rise, if they brought out Culdcept in all regions for the 3DS. JP only for the DS and now the 3DS.

I know I bought an X360 for Culdcept Saga, after enjoying the PS2 version. That and Blue Dragon. Then I got over 50 other games for that system. I know I would have bought a 3DSXL , if Culdcept was out here. I don't import games, even i a language I do speak. That is just me.

I did get the EU version of Eye of Judgment for the PSP, but it was from a local seller on Amazon.
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#54NeojianXPosted 12/26/2012 12:10:58 PM
When will they learn? Guns don't kill people, peo.....

That is true also, but ....

Game systems don't save game companies, good games do.
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#55GoombaXPosted 12/26/2012 12:12:20 PM
NeojianX posted...
When will they learn? Guns don't kill people, peo.....

That is true also, but ....

Game systems don't save game companies, good games do.

which is why nintendo will be with us for a very long time.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#56pikachupwnagePosted 12/26/2012 12:13:56 PM
Phange 2 posted...
...afloat"

Do people not realize that it has thus far been the costliest mistake Nintendo has ever made (due to timing, an unwarranted price drop, and a strong yen)?

Nintendo desperately needs e Wii U to sell gangbusters and with a high first party attach rate. The 3DS is causing them to hemorrhage cash at an unprecedented rate.

You do realize 3DS makes a profit on each unit now and has for quite awhile right?
---
"There's only one legitimate reason to be doing anything, and that is for the lulz"
#57kissdadookiePosted 12/26/2012 12:24:51 PM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...

Nintendo's apparently got enough money to not give two craps 'bout anything for quite some time.

I think, like, 30+ years quite some time. That long term enough for ya?

I, sadly, don't have a link to the article that shows this, so somebody else will have to provide a source... Unless I decide to stop being lazy before having to go to work...

HA HA HA HA HA HA. I love how absolutely clueless you are on the subject. The next TEN years is actually questionable for Nintendo right now. Even the next FIVE years is questionable for them at the moment.

Again, look at N64 and GC. If it wasn't for handheld, Nintendo would not have survived through those two console cycles. Now they are in the predictament where they are not really making much money even from the 3DS (margins have been significantly lowered from their typical close to 30% profit margins, same goes for the Wii U, and no, they can't make up for it in software, that's high volume but incredibly low margins for them, but even at that, the volume they move has substantially shrunk).

So Nintendo DOES give A LOT OF CRAPS about EVERYTHING right now. Why do you think they initially announced that they will be taking a hit on the Wii U? It wasn't really because they were taking a big hit on the Wii U, it was because they were anticipating investor complaints for their upcoming financials. Thus if they preemptively announced that the Wii U they are taking a loss on, this automatically puts them in the following position:

1) They justify not dropping the price.
2) They have an excuse for when the launch of the Wii U doesn't bring back profitability.

You really are clueless aren't you? In your mind they have a few billion in the bank thus you believe that they are safe. However, you fail to understand that their current offerings do not make them ANYWHERE NEAR the amount of money that their products use to make. This is worsened by the terrible exchange rate. On top of this, unlike MS or Sony, they have a pish poor licensing revenue stream, thus they really don't have an alternative revenue stream from their hardware export business. ON TOP OF THIS, they will have to start developing a Wii U replacement in 3 years or so. By that time, they will probably be looking at spending money on developing a new handheld if they even want to continue with handhelds in the first place in a market where handheld gaming consoles is a quickly shrinking market. Finally, on top of all this, they will need to start investing heavily in online services because by that time, Sony and MS will be pushing really hard on turning consoles into set top boxes.

What does all this mean? It means heavier and heavier spending in the following years for Nintendo as they figure out alternative revenue streams. All this while their profit margins continue to shrink and their financials continue to not look all that rosey. Yet you're sitting their thinking that Nintendo has a safe 30+ years ahead of them without a care in the world? What kind of looney bin fantasy world do you live in?
#58BlueSophiaPosted 12/26/2012 12:36:12 PM
kissdadookie posted...
sonicfanaticjtb posted...

Nintendo's apparently got enough money to not give two craps 'bout anything for quite some time.

I think, like, 30+ years quite some time. That long term enough for ya?

I, sadly, don't have a link to the article that shows this, so somebody else will have to provide a source... Unless I decide to stop being lazy before having to go to work...

HA HA HA HA HA HA. I love how absolutely clueless you are on the subject. The next TEN years is actually questionable for Nintendo right now. Even the next FIVE years is questionable for them at the moment.

Again, look at N64 and GC. If it wasn't for handheld, Nintendo would not have survived through those two console cycles. Now they are in the predictament where they are not really making much money even from the 3DS (margins have been significantly lowered from their typical close to 30% profit margins, same goes for the Wii U, and no, they can't make up for it in software, that's high volume but incredibly low margins for them, but even at that, the volume they move has substantially shrunk).

So Nintendo DOES give A LOT OF CRAPS about EVERYTHING right now. Why do you think they initially announced that they will be taking a hit on the Wii U? It wasn't really because they were taking a big hit on the Wii U, it was because they were anticipating investor complaints for their upcoming financials. Thus if they preemptively announced that the Wii U they are taking a loss on, this automatically puts them in the following position:

1) They justify not dropping the price.
2) They have an excuse for when the launch of the Wii U doesn't bring back profitability.

You really are clueless aren't you? In your mind they have a few billion in the bank thus you believe that they are safe. However, you fail to understand that their current offerings do not make them ANYWHERE NEAR the amount of money that their products use to make. This is worsened by the terrible exchange rate. On top of this, unlike MS or Sony, they have a pish poor licensing revenue stream, thus they really don't have an alternative revenue stream from their hardware export business. ON TOP OF THIS, they will have to start developing a Wii U replacement in 3 years or so. By that time, they will probably be looking at spending money on developing a new handheld if they even want to continue with handhelds in the first place in a market where handheld gaming consoles is a quickly shrinking market. Finally, on top of all this, they will need to start investing heavily in online services because by that time, Sony and MS will be pushing really hard on turning consoles into set top boxes.

What does all this mean? It means heavier and heavier spending in the following years for Nintendo as they figure out alternative revenue streams. All this while their profit margins continue to shrink and their financials continue to not look all that rosey. Yet you're sitting their thinking that Nintendo has a safe 30+ years ahead of them without a care in the world? What kind of looney bin fantasy world do you live in?

Said Looney bin fantasy world became a reality during the DS Era and then the WIi era, essentially making your comments go like farts in the wind. For all you just made up, it pretty much amounted to the same argument that many have made and have been proven wrong. Sit down and have a drink, wait for the news and then cry as Sony and Microsoft post their debilitating losses.
---
The official Ardha of the SMT IV board.
So much sodium against the WiiU!
#59Rasputin77Posted 12/26/2012 12:42:41 PM
Phange 2 posted...
The 3DS is causing them to hemorrhage cash at an unprecedented rate.

... it IS? O_o

drothegreat0ne posted...
Kiss and his essays. Condense your point fool

I know, right? Four paragraphs that, at most, probably should have been six, or maybe seven. How do you handle it? =(
---
Fun game: Find a Wii U thread on GameFAQs where the word "troll" isn't typed by post #10. Good luck.
"TL;DR" = My parents; failed me.
#601shadetail1Posted 12/26/2012 12:44:53 PM(edited)
kissdadookie posted...
HA HA HA HA HA HA. I love how absolutely clueless you are on the subject.

...said the one who's really clueless. For instance, you brought up the N64 and Gamecube as evidence of your point, ignoring the fact that Nintendo profited handsomely off both of those systems despite their bad sales figures.

No, Nintendo is not in trouble. They know what they're doing, and that is a fact, your ignorant rambling notwithstanding.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.