If Nintendo is so inferior, how come it's outselling the competition?

#61niels200683Posted 12/28/2012 1:32:33 AM
Grandfishar posted...
The reason why Nintendo is such a big competitor is because it targets children as it's main marketing demographic. When I was in school there wasn't a single kid that I knew, boy or girl that didn't have some form of nintendo portable console.

Whenever a person over the age of 28 says that they own a Wii, they are almost always asked "Do you have it because you have children?"

Basically my point is that the Wii is majorly a kid-friendly console. The fact that it sells well has nothing to do with the quality of the system.

It doesn't even have to do with the quality of the games it releases. Look at the winners of game of the year from E3 for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year#E3 *I am talking console-wise here.* Notice that there's only two nintendo related games, both of them Zelda games (I'm not bashing Zelda here I love that series.)

You'll also notice that almost every single one of the E3 game(s) of the year (past 2005 that is) didn't even come out for the Wii.

In other words, it's the target audience. Not the games or console itself. More family friendly games and other content comes out for the Wii and Nintendo than any other console. However, better games almost ALWAYS come out for other consoles than the Wii. And other consoles are marketed to adults.

I am 29, have a Wii, and never get asked if I have children.
Wii's library was diverse enough to cater to both families, smaller children AND avid gamers. My personal wii collection contains an incredible amount of great games I'll never want to part with - just slightly below my PS3 game collection.
---
Nintendo Wii: Putting the 'p' in 'Epic'.
-Curse all these sock-eating gnomes!-
#62ElectricMolePosted 12/28/2012 1:35:54 AM
If Britney Spears music is so inferior, why did she sell 15 million albums and classical music sold poorly? Clearly, sales are everything.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#63TylerJ33Posted 12/28/2012 1:39:14 AM
Veladus posted...
By this "logic", McDonalds is the best food on Earth.

And artists like bieber are among the best musicians today with that logic. News flash people just because something is popular and sells doesn't make it great. There's a lot of mindless sheep out there. One direction, the twilight movies, etc are proof of that
#64Hello10000Posted 12/28/2012 1:40:13 AM
Linetrix posted...
Real gamers

sigh. This again.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of Kingler]
Pokemon White FC: 3267 4497 6644 Name: Ash
#65Hello10000Posted 12/28/2012 1:41:15 AM
ElectricMole posted...
If Britney Spears music is so inferior, why did she sell 15 million albums and classical music sold poorly? Clearly, sales are everything.

Music and video games are two different ball games. Not even worth comparing.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of Kingler]
Pokemon White FC: 3267 4497 6644 Name: Ash
#66Sailor GoonPosted 12/28/2012 1:43:33 AM
Hello10000 posted...
ElectricMole posted...

Music and video games are two different ball games. Not even worth comparing.

its perfectly worth comparing because its true. If sales meant quality, Mcdonalds would be the best food for you, One Direction would be one of the greatest artists alive, Apple would be the best electronics provider, Call of Duty would be one of the best games around, etc. Only an idiot would equate sales to quality
---
As told to me by Gamefaqs admin: They hire 17 year olds as moderators!
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#67AgitoXIIIPosted 12/28/2012 1:45:38 AM
Sharky8 posted...
The Wii has outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360.
The DS has outsold the PSP.
The 3DS is outselling the Vita.
The Wii U is outselling Sony and Microsoft because they haven't even released a new console.

So if Nintendo is so technologically inferior, how come they keep winning? People love Nintendo; that's why they buy it instead of Sony or Microsoft.

Oh please. Give it a rest OP.

The Wii was a part of a major gaming fad that transceded regular gamers. And they've always been #1 in the handheld market + the DS had better games then the PSP.

And the U? What a dumb statement. The U is brand new, but you can easily find them on store shelves atm. Theres like 10 of them in the Walmart I work at. You couldn't find the original Wii on stores shelves for like 2 years.

We'll see how well the U does over the next 4 to 5 years when Sony and MS step in.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.
#68PUNCHOUT1116Posted 12/28/2012 1:52:55 AM
No one ever asks me if I have kids when discussing Nintendo products, they are usually just generally interested to hear about them.

And say what you want, but... after years of xbox live play, I honestly believe its the most popular console with children, more so than Nintendo. On the headset, its always children and the occasional man-baby who screams at the children for being annoying, not realizing that he himself is also getting on everyones nerves.

Seriously, how many kids do you hear talk about Mario, Zelda, etc? In my experience, its almost always "Call of Dooty" with a couple of "Halows" peppered in.

But whatever. I'm not saying Nintendo products aren't popular with children, but the same finger should be pointed at the other guys products too.
---
-
Certified Horse Proctologist
#69DemonDog666Posted 12/28/2012 1:54:13 AM
Advertising, stronger brand loyalty cheaper consoles, massive price drop after less then 6 months before it's competitor even launched.
#70squatch22Posted 12/28/2012 1:54:33 AM
PUNCHOUT1116 posted...
No one ever asks me if I have kids when discussing Nintendo products, they are usually just generally interested to hear about them.

And say what you want, but... after years of xbox live play, I honestly believe its the most popular console with children, more so than Nintendo. On the headset, its always children and the occasional man-baby who screams at the children for being annoying, not realizing that he himself is also getting on everyones nerves.

Seriously, how many kids do you hear talk about Mario, Zelda, etc? In my experience, its almost always "Call of Dooty" with a couple of "Halows" peppered in.

But whatever. I'm not saying Nintendo products aren't popular with children, but the same finger should be pointed at the other guys products too.

True
---
LR posted: And the PSP isn't a Sony console so why would I make that claim?
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg