Three things that would make the Wii U the greatest console ever

#1TerotrousPosted 12/29/2012 11:56:57 AM
So Wii U is out now and most of us have had it for a while. Having used it, I'm seeing extreme potential in some of the things it does, but as usual Nintendo never really blows it out in terms of functionality. Here's a couple things that would elevate the system to astronomical levels.

1) Region Free

This is obvious. Region locking is a horribly antiquated process that should have disappeared a decade ago. With information about Japanese games being easily available on the internet and the high demand for imported games, this is no longer a feature that is only useful to a scant few. The other two hardware manufacturers have abandoned it on all of their devices and it and it's time Nintendo did too. It would help system security to get rid of this as well, as a substantial part of hacking efforts are centred around this problem.

2) Remote communication for the gamepad

Off-TV Play is the runaway success story of the Wii U. The ability to take a console quality game and play it on a portable device without losing the ability to do local multiplayer with only one copy of the game is a major system seller. Unfortunately, due to the limited range of the gamepad, it's hard to take full advantage of this. That's why the gamepad should support Wifi and 3 / 4g communications, and if it can't reach the system through bluetooth, it should attempt to contact it through the internet. Of course, this brings the possibility of some minor latency, but as the Wii U gamepad supports one of the fastest image transfer algorithms currently known, it should be superior to other devices such as OnLive and PSP's remote play and those services are good enough for many games.

This would require the gamepad to have additional hardware and the ability to configure internet connections even without the aid of the system, so this would probably bloat costs to some degree (though I can't see it being more than $20-30), but I think it would be a very small price to pay for the ability to play the system from anywhere. It would really help Nintendo push digital distribution, too, since it's the only way you can switch games when away from the system.

3) Ability to play Wii games on the Gamepad

This is another really obvious feature that would help a lot. Wii has a huge library of good games and the ability to play them on the gamepad would be a great selling point to new and old customers alike. Certainly, allowing any game that uses the classic controller to be played on Wii U's gamepad is a snap since it has all of the same buttons. However, you should probably also have the ability to have the gamepad identify itself as any other controller that Wii can use (Gamecube Controller, Wii Remote alone, Wii Remote + Nunchuk).

The latter two obviously present some complications. Certain games that make heavy use of motion controls are clearly impossible, but I think you could map about 80% of games to some simple button configuration. The right stick on the gamepad could act as the pointer for games that need it, and you could map a simple waggle motion to L2 / R2 for the Nunchuk / Wiimote respectively. This would actually drastically improve some games that are badly hurt by poor motion control choices, such as Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Anyway, this is clearly wishful thinking as none of these things would ever happen. It's simply not Nintendo's prerogative these days to go all out on features, Super Gameboy was the last time they even allowed you a choice of how to map your buttons. But perhaps a successor or competitor to the Wii U might incorporate some of these features.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#2ElGadoPosted 12/29/2012 11:58:12 AM
1. No
2. No
3. And no.
#3Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 12:00:45 PM
As you responded within 90 seconds I'm going to guess that you didn't even read it.
---
#4vidalmorazaPosted 12/29/2012 12:01:15 PM
1.- Never cared for it, IMHO

2.- Gamepad developers said it can be done, it can work like that, even online or with signal extenders, but I would guess online it would need a VERY good and fast internet speed, very good ping and all that, to simulate been in fron of the console...

3.- It can be done, but is up to Nintendo, since it would need work in the Wii emulation and access to the Wii content with the gamepad...
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#5mjc0961Posted 12/29/2012 12:20:03 PM
Terotrous posted...
1) Region Free

This is obvious. Region locking is a horribly antiquated process that should have disappeared a decade ago. With information about Japanese games being easily available on the internet and the high demand for imported games, this is no longer a feature that is only useful to a scant few. The other two hardware manufacturers have abandoned it on all of their devices and it and it's time Nintendo did too. It would help system security to get rid of this as well, as a substantial part of hacking efforts are centred around this problem.

Yes it is. The vast majority of people don't give a s*** about it. There are so many games to play in our own regions that why would we ever worry about not being able to play Japanese games that we can't even read or enjoy? Importing games is an extremely small niche, get over it.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#6Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 12/29/2012 12:39:10 PM(edited)
vidalmoraza posted...
2.- Gamepad developers said it can be done, it can work like that, even online or with signal extenders, but I would guess online it would need a VERY good and fast internet speed, very good ping and all that, to simulate been in fron of the console...

Like I said, I think you'd see some performance degradation, but it might be small enough to remain acceptable. Wii U has <1 frame of latency over bluetooth. If they could get 1-3 over Wifi, it would still be playable for most games.

3.- It can be done, but is up to Nintendo, since it would need work in the Wii emulation and access to the Wii content with the gamepad...

It doesn't require any emulation to make this happen. All controllers for Wii identify themselves as being a given type of controller and send signals to the system in a certain way. All the gamepad has to do is have the ability to mimic them and send a similar-looking signal that the game would believe came from that type of controller.

mjc0961 posted...
Yes it is. The vast majority of people don't give a s*** about it. There are so many games to play in our own regions that why would we ever worry about not being able to play Japanese games that we can't even read or enjoy? Importing games is an extremely small niche, get over it.

It's not nearly as small as you think. Games like Xenoblade and Ouendan were so widely imported that they essentially forced Nintendo's hand in terms of localization (note also that you had to hack to import Xenoblade). I might be willing to believe that only 5% of people would ever import any game (and for some of those people, only if the game was from Europe), but out of the total number of gamers that's a pretty significant figure nonetheless.

It's also worth noting that the people who do import are, in general, the most hardcore of hardcore gamers, who typically own 10 to 20 times more games than the average consumer, so they may represent as much as 30% of the total gaming market.

And of course, Region Locking is one of the main reasons people hack a system, which then leads to piracy and lost domestic sales. For this reason alone it's probably worth allowing imports to delay the rate at which a system gets hacked.
---
#7Terotrous(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 4:13:11 PM
One bump for this.
---
#8staticxtreme5Posted 12/30/2012 4:17:25 PM
I do think the gamepad should be able to at least run off your home wifi to extend the range of use in the household. I don't really care about the other points you made, but more features are rarely a bad thing.
#9Pesmerga255Posted 12/30/2012 4:19:26 PM
The 3DS should've been region-free. ****ing PoS stopping me from importing Project X Zone.
---
I JUST KEEP BURNNING LOVE!
#10RAWBRTzxPosted 12/30/2012 4:28:50 PM
I wouldn't say it would be the greatest console ever but It would be better with these features.

I'm hoping that a hack is being figured out to remove the region protection like the wii had.
---
FANBOYS BE DUMB DAWG!