Overscan Problem, Picture not fitting TV screen, cuts 10 to 20 % off!!!

#1wvu9787Posted 12/30/2012 2:20:24 AM
I just got a Wii U about 2 weeks ago and i noticed that it does not fix my tv screen right, my tv does not have a way to change the scan on it and the only places i saw on the WII U that you can adjust the screen size is the WIIverse, Internet channel and the E-shop. I have checked online about this issue and it seems its effecting a good bit of people, it sucks playing a game with 10% to 20% of the screen cut off on the sides, do you think Nintendo will release a patch via a system update to fix this problem?

I know my other option is to buy a new TV but HDTV's don't come cheep, I am very much thinking about trying to sell my WII U because of this problem, my original Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 never had this problem, only the WII U.

I really am hoping that Nintendo finds a way to fix this, but what do you think the chances of that are?
---
Xbox 360 GT: Chrisanarchy13
PSN GT: Wvu9787
#2KaiserLeoPosted 12/30/2012 2:37:41 AM
First off, the ps3 and 360 do cut off the picture on an old tube too, the sides of the widescreen.

Secondly hdtvs do come relatively cheap. You can get a full hd, 32 inch for what, 200+tax?
---
I hate thongs, both kinds.
#3wvu9787(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 3:31:27 AM
I was just saying that my ps3 or 360 never game me that problem, only the wii u.

as far as $200 for a HD TV, yeah i know thats not too much but i really like my tv and it just sucks that i would have to buy a new one if nintendo does not patch this issue, the wii u was $349 + tax, and its the only reason i need the new tv so in a way its kinda like spending $600 bucks for a Wii U.
---
Xbox 360 GT: Chrisanarchy13
PSN GT: Wvu9787
#4Muljo StphoPosted 12/30/2012 3:49:13 AM(edited)
I don't think TC is talking about viewing on a 4:3 frame TV and losing the edges of the widescreen image. Start up the system and look at the menu as displayed on the gamepad screen and then swap screens so the menu is on the TV instead. The image on the TV has thin slivers sliced off the edges compared to what's displayed on the gamepad screen. The only setting my TV (Vizio 37" 1080p) seems to have to adjust the size of the image can be set to "wide" or "stretch". It started at "wide" by default and changing it to "stretch" only stretches the image out so that huge chunks are sliced off the sides.

I think the TC is overestimating the amount cut off and the impact it has by a lot though. I haven't noticed if it has affected any games at all, and even if it has I don't see why you would need to buy a whole new TV just for that. Replace your TV when it's broken, not when it's not the shiniest and newest toy on the block any more. (Besides, how would you even know that the next one won't just have the same issue?)

---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#5ShadowSkill11Posted 12/30/2012 7:07:01 AM
Actually hdtv's do come cheap. Really cheap. Less than the cost of a WiiU cheap.
#6JonbazookabozPosted 12/30/2012 7:10:41 AM
Man it's been a looooong time since i seen a tv that dont have a picture adjust button!
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#7ShadowSkill11Posted 12/30/2012 7:13:26 AM
johnnybazookabo posted...
Man it's been a looooong time since i seen a tv that dont have a picture adjust button!

Shhh... This is a WiiU board. These people are still marveling at HDMI cables.
#8ZAKDUDEPosted 12/30/2012 7:53:00 AM
Try looking in display settings on your tv. Change picture size from "normal" to "full pixel". That's what I have to do every time on my Sony Bravia and it fixes it.
#9OtakuGameraPosted 12/30/2012 7:56:36 AM
inb4sdtvsuckbuyahdtvwhatisthis2005?
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#10d_money_manPosted 12/30/2012 8:35:23 AM
wvu9787 posted...
I just got a Wii U about 2 weeks ago and i noticed that it does not fix my tv screen right, my tv does not have a way to change the scan on it and the only places i saw on the WII U that you can adjust the screen size is the WIIverse, Internet channel and the E-shop. I have checked online about this issue and it seems its effecting a good bit of people, it sucks playing a game with 10% to 20% of the screen cut off on the sides, do you think Nintendo will release a patch via a system update to fix this problem?

I know my other option is to buy a new TV but HDTV's don't come cheep, I am very much thinking about trying to sell my WII U because of this problem, my original Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 never had this problem, only the WII U.

I really am hoping that Nintendo finds a way to fix this, but what do you think the chances of that are?

First off, the system settings does fix this problem. You can change the screen size in the wii u system settings.
Second, think a little harder before you go all 'NINTENDO Y U NO FIX DIS' because usually when people complain about Nintendo their grievances are misplaced.
---
3DS FC:3265-5151-9032
Monster Hunter Tri: Dylan: Rank 51 Current Project: Rathian Ruby