CVG: The 15 big Wii U games of next year

#1squatch22Posted 12/30/2012 7:27:09 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/375855/best-wii-u-games-13-big-titles-arriving-next-year/

You'd be forgiven some hesitation towards the Wii U launch line-up - if New Super Mario Bros. and ports of AAA-titles from other platforms aren't your thing, how does the release schedule look going into 2013?
Well, much the same, really. But accounting for the delays of what were previously must-buy launch games, and the likelihood of more quality titles being announced in the months to come, the Wii U should have a pretty decent first year. We've pulled up a list of the 15 most essential releases for 2013, listed in no particular order.

1. Injustice: Gods Among Us
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive
ETA: April 2013
Injustice brings 2D fighting to the Wii U with a cast drawn from the DC universe. Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon is heading up development, but given the license, we expect Superman's skeletal structure to remain fully intact throughout.

2. Pikmin 3
Publisher: Nintendo
ETA: Spring 2013
Initially a launch title, Pikmin 3 is now one of the most anticipated Wii U releases of 2013. In addition to new Pikmin types and the option of touch-screen control with the GamePad, it's hard not to be excited by the prospect of Olimar and his miniature army in lovely HD for the first time.

3. Game & Wario
After a decade of microgames, Wario seems to be expanding into the realm of slightly more substantive minigames, several minutes apiece. Nintendo used Game & Wario at E3 as a proof-of-concept for several of the GamePad's core features, mostly involving prodding the touch-screen or scanning the TV, but Jimmy T on the ski slope alone justifies the game's existence.

4. Aliens: Colonial Marines
Publisher: Sega
Having firmly sullied their own good name with Duke Nukem Forever, Gearbox recently reaffirmed their reputation as capable developers with Borderlands 2, permitting us some excitement towards Aliens: Colonial Marines. The type of intense, atmospheric shooter that the Wii persistently lacked, Colonial Marines will hopefully signpost the Wii U as a viable platform for the FPS.

5. DiRT
Publisher: Codemasters
ETA: TBC 2013
Not much is known about DiRT on Wii U at present, but a retooled port of 2011's DiRT 3 might be a safe bet. Core gameplay features on the second screen might be a tad difficult - splitting player attention isn't conducive to the genre - but at least we have the assurance of a solid racer servicing Wii U in 2013.

6. Project CARS
Publisher: Slightly Mad Studios
If rally isn't quite your thing, Project CARS offers prospective Wii U owners a track-based alternative. Given that the game is currently without a publisher and dependent on developer and community funding, it's surprising how solid CARS has looked in initial trailers. Could the complexity of an F1 steering wheel be translated to the GamePad's second screen?

7. Rayman Legends
Publisher: Ubisoft
ETA: February 2013
Following on from 2011's roundly adored Rayman Origins, Legends builds upon the good work of its predecessor by looking even more eye-wateringly gorgeous. Controlling Rayman with the touch-screen is a novelty, but Origins vets know the real joy comes from the hectic multiplayer, utilising the console's Wii Remote compatibility for four-player co-op.

8. Bayonetta 2
The internet clamoured for a sequel - and then, the internet spewed caustic bile at the news Bayonetta 2 would be exclusive to Wii U. A brief teaser is all we have at present - expect hair and motorcycle-related madness
---
LR posted: And the PSP isn't a Sony console so why would I make that claim?
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#2squatch22(Topic Creator)Posted 12/30/2012 7:27:18 AM
9. The Wonderful 101
Colourful RTS from Hideki Kamiya - the man responsible for Okami and Bayonetta - who brings his creative idiosyncrasies to the table with heroes such as "Toilet Bowl Man", fighting to save the earth from an alien invasion. The Wonderful 101 puts the GamePad's features at the centre of the gameplay, offering touch-screen squad controls and access to areas hidden on the upper screen.

10. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Publisher: Capcom
ETA: March 2013
In addition to ports from non-Nintendo platforms, Wii U will see its first rejigging of a Wii game in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Players who poured hundreds of hours into the original may be a little disappointed to see straight-sequel Monster Hunter 4 confined to the 3DS, but it's hard not to be excited by the prospect of Tri being rendered in high definition, along with expanded online features and 3DS compatibility.

11. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developers Criterion are going more Burnout: Paradise than Hot Pursuit with the latest Need for Speed, an expansive sandbox racer. By the time the Wii U version comes around, the game will have been available on other platforms for a good few months - what will EA do with the GamePad to make it an essential purchase?

12. Sacrilegium
Publisher: TopWare Interactive
ETA: Summer 2013
Whatever "Sacrilegium" means, it's not a good title for anything. Regardless, Sacrilegium will be the Wii U's second survival horror title after ZombiU. Hopefully developers Reality Pump will find an inventive implementation of the GamePad as a tool for hunting vampires; touch-screen steak ramming? Or perhaps just an inventory screen.

13. Wii Fit U
Nintendo aren't the type to be sparing with peripheral requirements, but Wii Fit U really takes things to another level with its suite of electronic appendages. Between the GamePad, Balance Board, Wii Remotes, and now the pedometer, you might not have any room left for the sofa. Still, if its predecessor is anything to go by, Wii Fit U should be a solid enough sweat-'em-up.

14. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
Publisher: Tecmo Koei
The latest in a series of fighters based on the anime/manga of the same name, primarily involving punching and pulp-beaten hordes. Ken's Rage will also be unleashed on 360 and PS3, but only the Wii U version allows you to start a level in the living room and finish it on the loo.

15. Dragon Quest X
Publisher: Square Enix
Already available for Wii in Japan, DQX will likely benefit from dual-screens in the same way the DS iterations of the series have, with stats and battle commands only a touch away. No confirmed release for Europe yet, but considering how strongly Nintendo pushed Dragon Quest IX in the West, it's hard to imagine its successor being forever absent from these shores.
---
LR posted: And the PSP isn't a Sony console so why would I make that claim?
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#3Xcalibur02Posted 12/30/2012 7:32:26 AM
Hey, I actually didn't know Injustice was coming to Wii U. That's great.
---
Grammar: The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****
#4stekim40Posted 12/30/2012 7:33:12 AM
Pretty depressing tbh.

The only purchases for me there are Pikmin 3 and Project CARS.
---
Playing: Xcom:EU, PC Minecraft, Skyrim , F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE 4 (still), GTA V, Pikmin 3, Dragon Age 3
#5STE573Posted 12/30/2012 7:40:54 AM
Lets be honest here, some of those games don't deserve to be in any top 15s, they are merely there to make up numbers. Wii Fit U, NFS, Monster Hunter (I like it, but it is far too niché for a top 15 list) and DQX (an MMO) have no business on that list, I would name more games that don't belong there due to lack of detail, but some halfwit will call me a troll no doubt.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, psn ID- X-STE-90-X Currently playing- Far Cry 2 (360), Kingdoms of Amalur (360), Pokemon Red (GBA), Pokemon Blue (GBA)
#6SideShowBattPosted 1/1/2013 2:38:08 PM
Pikmin, Game & Wario, Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2 and Dragon Quest X. Well I'm going to have a fun year with my Wii U.
---
XBL Tag- SideShowBatt
Nintendo Network- SideShowBatt
#7diving_devil46Posted 1/1/2013 2:41:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJnlPQJFR70

This vid lists a load of games that are out / coming out (with clips for all of them).

Certainly got me excited about my new console.

Screw the cynics. I am looking forward to my Wii U.
#8XinundraPosted 1/1/2013 2:42:04 PM
STE573 posted...
Lets be honest here, some of those games don't deserve to be in any top 15s, they are merely there to make up numbers. Wii Fit U, NFS, Monster Hunter (I like it, but it is far too niché for a top 15 list) and DQX (an MMO) have no business on that list, I would name more games that don't belong there due to lack of detail, but some halfwit will call me a troll no doubt.

I will agree with you on Wii Fit U and NFS but the rest is opinions base.
#9LinetrixPosted 1/1/2013 2:42:57 PM
ROFL at Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 being on that list. Artificially inflated list is pathetic.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#10Sami1000Posted 1/1/2013 2:43:13 PM
Looking at that list i might buy wii u after all. I just can't get over the fact that DQX is mmorpg.