Why I returned my Wii U (from a Nintendo Fan Boy)

#1iloveheavyrainPosted 12/31/2012 9:45:57 AM
I have always loved Nintendo. Have owned all system from SNES, Gameboys, color, DS, Super, 64, NGC, Wii. I currently possess a 3DS XL (which I LOVE).

On Nov 17, I bought a Wii U, black system, with Zombi U and Mario Bros U. It's a national holiday for me when Nintendo has a major release of any new system.

I opened the system, plugged it in, then waited for the LONG download.

I played Zombi U, LOVED it. Great game, beat it in 4 days. I play Super Mario U, liked it a lot (did not love it), as I felt I was "Marioed" out with release like Mario Bros 2, Mario Sticker Star being released very close to Super Mario Bro U. And, SMBU was not innovative enough to make me gasp with pleasure as say, Super Mario Galaxy did (blew my mind) or Mario Land 3D (the best game on the ads, hands down).

A side note to NSMBU: shocked, SHOCKED that a system that touts to be the next big thing in online gaming, has the perfect opportunity to use the online community to tout it's new system with NSMBU, with 4 player online play (or even play a friend in another state), making cooperative type levels like LITTLE BIG PLANET, where everyone must work together to conquer. A huge miss on Nintendos part. No excuses. No "lets give the system a chance"

Anyway, after playing Wii U for a quite a while, I realized, that, though the system is nice, and the games are fun, for $350, it wasn't enough of a leap of a system for me at this time. When Wii came out, HUGE leap in gaming system from NGC. When Xbox 360 came out, HUGE leap. Not the way I feel with Wii U.

Could've I played Zombi U or NSMBU with no game pad? Yes. Maybe not as fun for ZombiU, though, in the end, I have played many ZombiU like game to know that a pro type controller suffice enough.

For me, the Gamepad is an ok idea. Though, it's not a BIG ENOUGH idea. Not yet perhaps. You would think though with a game like NSMBU, they would have thought of a great way to use the Gamepad. They did not. Even the upcoming Pikmin, which I LOVE, and played at E3, does not use the Gamepad that effectively (extra map, nice, but still, not enough to warrant the use of this new tech).

Also, being honest here, using the game pad for hours at a time feels..."heavy". Hands, around the wrists, get fatigued. And, just does flow as naturally as a smaller controller does. Def not better than the Wii Mote/Nunchuck combo.

That being said, I returned the system. Knowing that I could get my full $371 back from WalMart. Seeing that there are many many systems on the shelves. Seeing that Best Buy is already "discounting" the Wii U by throwing in a free $60 game (the good Nintendo Land, which one can buy for $20 on Ebay now)

I said to myself, "I'm simply gonna wait for the system to grow, get better. I'm going to wait a year for a newly modified version of the system, like the 3DS did, and the Wii U did" I felt there simply are not enough great games coming out soon enough for me to hold onto it. That I can play Uncharted 3 for $10 or Little Big Planet 2 for $10. Even play Pikmin 2 again or the latest Kirby Anniversary set for Wii at a cheap price. Catch up on many older great games.

And, most of all, I can buy a Wii U system at a lower price point (I know Nintendo is going to have to mark these down as they have done so early). Or buy a second hand system on Craigslist for under $200.

I believe in nintendo. Just too early to get this system, which truly, I feel, needed more time to flesh out.
---
ZombiU is Game of the Year 2012
#2DarkAdonis123Posted 12/31/2012 9:49:11 AM
>claims to be a Nintendo fanboy

>username is iloveheavyrain

Yeah, we're done here.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#3NiftyManZPosted 12/31/2012 9:49:54 AM
Wasn't this ready posted?
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#4GloryChaosPosted 12/31/2012 9:51:02 AM
What you did makes sense. The launch games don't really showcase what the system has to offer, with ZombiU and Nintendoland being the closest to doing so.

DarkAdonis123 posted...

Yeah, we're done here.

Read his post.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#5CaioNVPosted 12/31/2012 9:52:10 AM
http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2012/06/130927615839.gif
---
Let's Blocking:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/Debug_Mode/sf3_2.png
#6teknic1200Posted 12/31/2012 9:52:38 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...

Yeah, we're done here.

also doesn't love mario.

I loved nsmbu.

my wiiu has been played non-stop since I got it. I was smart enough to avoid a couple of the multiplats until they arrived on wii u.

great console and only three more months until the game that ends all games arrives..
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#7DiaperDandeePosted 12/31/2012 9:53:03 AM
"Also, being honest here, using the game pad for hours at a time feels..."heavy". Hands, around the wrists, get fatigued. And, just does flow as naturally as a smaller controller does. Def not better than the Wii Mote/Nunchuck combo.:

Anyone who gets fatigued from the gamepad shouldn't be taken seriously on any subject in the entire world. What can you bench? 30 pounds lol.
---
Playing (360/WiiU): Halo 4, The Witcher 2, Batman Arkham City Armored Edition, REmake
#8bleachgamer3Posted 12/31/2012 9:56:21 AM
If you feel that way I love my wii u personally. :D
#9Paddle008Posted 12/31/2012 9:59:12 AM
After a while the gamepad does start to tire your hands if you don't put it down. Nintendo said the Pro Controller is better for extended periods of time.
#10iloveheavyrain(Topic Creator)Posted 12/31/2012 9:59:33 AM
I feel I proved my love for Nintendo by stating I own all systems and just bought a shiny new 3DS Xl. Also, note, I even posted at bottom of my topic, that ZombiU is GOTY.

Just that, when it's said and done, Wii U not big enough. Yet.

Will buy it cheaper a year from now.
---
ZombiU is Game of the Year 2012