When was the last time Nintendo had a good launch?

#11DiscostewSMPosted 12/31/2012 10:11:15 PM
PaladinAlik posted...
Wii U was a good launch /topic

---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#12MathewMansonPosted 12/31/2012 10:17:47 PM
New Super Mario Bros. U isn't a rehash to be honest. It actually feels like what the NEW Super Mario Bros. games should have been from the beginning.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#13SocranPosted 12/31/2012 10:20:11 PM
Remember when games took less than three years to make? Yeah, well those days are gone. Unless the console is put on standby for three years after its completion before its launch, the launch titles will all be either rushed (and/or smaller than what most people consider a "real" game), or will be ports from previous platforms (and/or games that could've been made for previous platforms, but didn't so they'd stay "exclusive").

It's a catch-22, so there's really no use complaining about it. Or rather, there's no use accusing the devs of doing something wrong, because there is no "right" way to do it. Games simply take several times more time and money to make than they used to.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#14PaladinrjaPosted 12/31/2012 11:12:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#15cavebear56Posted 12/31/2012 11:15:08 PM
PaladinAlik posted...
Wii U was a good launch /topic

---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#16CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 12/31/2012 11:15:24 PM
I seem to recall a good launch only a few months ago.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#17ClaudeLv250Posted 12/31/2012 11:53:20 PM
DarthNAS4 posted...
Guess you dont remember the Nintendo 64 launch.

Albeit one of those 2 games was Mario 64. I remember quite a dearth of games for quite a while. Even when new titles came out I still remember feeling let down.

I remember walking into Blockbuster the week the N64 launched. They literally had entire shelves of Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64.

My brother got the N64 for his birthday not long after it launched. We played and beat Mario 64...then we rented Pilotwings...and then there was nothing else to play.

So Soma can preach Mario 64 as the second coming and how nothing else compares, but a good launch generally revolves around more than just one game.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#18FuzzyJelloPosted 12/31/2012 11:55:25 PM
Socran posted...
Remember when games took less than three years to make?

This. Really, combine this with the fact that the Wii forced Nintendo to go on a different release cycle than the other two because of how temperamental its sales were and it explains everything.

It's why the Wii died the way it did; does Nintendo have an EAD team spend a year plus on a game for a console that'd be dead on release, or get them learning new hardware as soon as humanly possible for a game that will still launch months to a year after said new hardware hits? Ninty basically had to get off the Wii ship as fast as possible, even if the U had to suffer for it; better than launching the U later even further in the red.

That and, well, post SNES Nintendo console. Anyone who buys at launch buys on faith.
#19wisemiddsPosted 1/1/2013 1:03:48 AM
DarthNAS4 posted...
Guess you dont remember the Nintendo 64 launch.

Albeit one of those 2 games was Mario 64. I remember quite a dearth of games for quite a while. Even when new titles came out I still remember feeling let down.

I remember the N64 releasing with Mario64, Pilotwings, Turok, Star Wars SotE. (EU, however they were all iut shortly after release in ither countries) That's 3 awesome games and a half decent Star Wars game- way better than Wii U. Wave Race was out shortly after release and Wayne Gretzky 3D hockey. The year after (1997) was full of great games- most of which where visible in magazines etc from the off, something not currently happening with Wii U.
---
3DS friend code: 3652 - 0628 - 9229
XBL, PSN: wisemidds
#20geneticsftwPosted 1/1/2013 1:11:10 AM

caps off