Online Theory ( Warning: Parentheses )

#1Squished_MarioPosted 1/1/2013 2:47:36 AM
So I have said I've had Sonic Racing freeze before on the Wii U. Well, had another freeze, but feel it's related to online play, but more specifically routers. Here's why. Please be aware it's a silly theory, and I'm aware that Wii U 's still freeze on games like Nintendo Land, but most of the time it seems people's wifi was on regardless ( or even Mii characters entering plazas, Miiverse posts etc.) I also know other people have probably said this already, but just thought I'd share the experience.

Recently while over here, I had been using the Wii U more or less without incident ( only one freeze while I've been here on Sonic Racing). On my 2nd freeze, however, I had changed my my router settings before the freeze. Here's what I did differently, and the freeze came soon after these events.

1. This evening, I had changed my internet's settings to WEP, the router was completely hard reset, and set up fresh ( reasons related to my dad lacking some software and his log in stuff, and I wanted to connect a 3DS in Dsi mode to the net). A key was assigned that was needed for the Wii U to get on the net for the WEP. Of course the Wii U could not connect until I prompted to change it on there too, so I did.

2. The original security setting the Wii U was on was WPA2-Personal AES with a security key for others to connect to wifi. I am aware it froze initially--however there were no network drop offs etc and freezing only happened one time.

Was playing with someone online in another state, my dad, and myself. We were playing Sonic Racing. Our first match goes well...it's normal, we're all racing, and find each other in the room easy. Then, the network drops off and we can't continue.

So yay. So, we continue trying. The network drops off, almost immediately in the match and tells the player out of state that I left the match. We try again and again, it just keeps dropping the network between us and the out of state player. We even get a lovely network 'error'. I reset the router...we try another match, and it disconnects us. I could also not see the option to join online players room when he made one. This was all in a small span of time. We try for the last time, get past the starting line a bit and BUZZZZZZZZZZ. The Wii U immediately freezes and makes that ear shattering noise, pissing us all off and ruining our fun and I have to unplug it. I'd like to try and replicate it to further test this, but getting people to do it ( when we all just want to play the damn game ) might be difficult.

So has anyone else had this sort of encounter and believe it might be related to wifi aspect of the Wii U? If it's a problem with this, I wonder how Nintendo would go about patching it. Seems freezing now is a very common issue, and it's very annoying as well, although it's not happening over and over ( unless I can try to make that happen again).
---
The truth hurts, and has just been spoken by SquishedMario.
PSN: VexSilver
#2lazycomplifePosted 1/1/2013 2:59:15 AM
This has to be a problem with the Wii U, and not your ****ty internet connection.
---
Yoshi is my BFF
#3Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:03:24 AM
lazycomplife posted...
This has to be a problem with the Wii U, and not your ****ty internet connection.

A lot of screwed up Wii U's then.
---
The SquishedMario hurts, and has just been spoken by the truth.
#4Pac12345Posted 1/1/2013 3:10:44 AM
I think you have wither one these two problems, or both at the same time:

1- It is known that Sonic Racing was issues with the Wii U. Whether there will be a patch for it, or if it will get solved, I don't know. But this one is to be considered. Try other games instead. If you keep having this issues, then read number 2.

2- It is possible that your router is experiencing interference from other devices. Since you changed your security from WPA2 to WEP (By resetting your router), and then from WEP back to WPA2, it is possible that your channel setting may have become "compromised"

I suggest using WEP, then assign the "automatic" channel option to your router settings. If your router doesn't have this option, then try channel by channel manually. *Remember to try this with a game other than Sonic Racing*

If the above fails, then contact Nintendo. You may or may not have a hardware issue. I wouldn't know for sure, so try all options before giving up.

I hope your problem gets resolved. Let me know how it went.
#5Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 3:21:40 AM
Pac12345 posted...

1- It is known that Sonic Racing was issues with the Wii U. Whether there will be a patch for it, or if it will get solved, I don't know. But this one is to be considered. Try other games instead. If you keep having this issues, then read number 2.

2- It is possible that your router is experiencing interference from other devices. Since you changed your security from WPA2 to WEP (By resetting your router), and then from WEP back to WPA2, it is possible that your channel setting may have become "compromised"

I suggest using WEP, then assign the "automatic" channel option to your router settings. If your router doesn't have this option, then try channel by channel manually. *Remember to try this with a game other than Sonic Racing*

If the above fails, then contact Nintendo. You may or may not have a hardware issue. I wouldn't know for sure, so try all options before giving up.

1. Yeah, seems it does a lot for Sonic. But other games freeze for other folks as well, so it makes me "hmm" a bit.

2. I reset it back to WPA2 AFTER it froze. Just assuming maybe the previous security setting was "better" ( if there is such a thing) for the Wii U. Wasn't sure if you were getting at that it was "compromised" after switching back and that is what caused the Wii U to freeze.

Yeah I'm aware of the channel issues with routers. I could play with that, but it's iffy on whether or not that could be the issue.Thanks for the advice, anyway. We have Nintendo Land and Sonic Racing so far ( someone else has NSMBU)
---
#6Pac12345Posted 1/1/2013 3:35:00 AM
Squished_Mario posted...
Pac12345 posted...

1. Yeah, seems it does a lot for Sonic. But other games freeze for other folks as well, so it makes me "hmm" a bit.

2. I reset it back to WPA2 AFTER it froze. Just assuming maybe the previous security setting was "better" ( if there is such a thing) for the Wii U. Wasn't sure if you were getting at that it was "compromised" after switching back and that is what caused the Wii U to freeze.

Yeah I'm aware of the channel issues with routers. I could play with that, but it's iffy on whether or not that could be the issue.Thanks for the advice, anyway. We have Nintendo Land and Sonic Racing so far ( someone else has NSMBU)

The freezes are caused by software errors (Wither by games or the OS). What could trigger these errors is the fact that the Wii U could be connecting and disconnecting from the Internet constantly, due to interference from other devices/to the router. That's why I suggest going with a WEP security. Since it's less safe, it allows the Wii U to connect to your router easier (Less characters to process) and it could prevent constant connections/disconnections.

Give it a try. Should this fail, go back to the WPA setting, and try doing it channel by channel, manually.
#7ObtikPosted 1/1/2013 4:35:14 AM
Call your isp, tell them you want to open the nat on your wii by moving the mac id out of the dmz. No more stupid security on a console that doesn't need it. Open connections forever, no messing with ips or security.
---
XBL GT: l Mentu l
#8Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 1:30:25 PM
Obtik posted...
Call your isp, tell them you want to open the nat on your wii by moving the mac id out of the dmz. No more stupid security on a console that doesn't need it. Open connections forever, no messing with ips or security.

lol did you do this or something
---
#9ObtikPosted 1/1/2013 1:45:05 PM
Yeah i have both my xbox and wii u like that, works flawlessly online. Call your isp and tell them, or see if your routers Web options have a "pass through" option, probably under "gateway." Then just pass through the mac id of the wii u, which is listed right in the settings of the wii u.
---
XBL GT: l Mentu l
#10Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 4:44:24 PM
Obtik posted...
Yeah i have both my xbox and wii u like that, works flawlessly online. Call your isp and tell them, or see if your routers Web options have a "pass through" option, probably under "gateway." Then just pass through the mac id of the wii u, which is listed right in the settings of the wii u.

What I'm going to do ( tried Pac's advice, but still network drops ) so I followed the guide to manually connect the Wii U. Ridiculous that we have to do that. I have yet to do online play yet until the players are here, but will report kind of what happens, if we get any freezes, etc. The connection test says my manual connection works. If worst comes to worst I'd contact the ISP, but I don't think I would as I'm staying with my parents for the holidays and I'm not sure whether we'd wanna go through all that for the stinkin' Wii U lol.
---