Itsa me Mario! I've ran out of innovation

#101TeraPatrick2008Posted 1/1/2013 4:47:11 PM
ALL Mario games are pretty much the same - and that's what i LOVE!

btw - my favorite Mario games:
2D: Super Mario World
3D: Super Mario Sunshine
#102Zero_ManiacPosted 1/1/2013 4:53:24 PM
squatch22 posted...
Linetrix posted...
Uhh, Nintendo games get high rates only for being slightly different than past games..

Paper Mario on 3DS says Hello.

Paper Mario: SS was a piece of s***.
---
Currently wanting: A lot of Vita games/accessories!
PSN: Zero_Maniac623
#103BigPappy09Posted 1/1/2013 5:05:27 PM
Sunshine got bashed for straying from the formula. I'll give you the new super mario bros series, but putting Galaxy in with that is just trolling.
#104Enigma149Posted 1/1/2013 5:12:06 PM(edited)
Zero_Maniac posted...
squatch22 posted...
Linetrix posted...
Uhh, Nintendo games get high rates only for being slightly different than past games..

Paper Mario on 3DS says Hello.

Paper Mario: SS was a piece of s***.

The only reason people think this is because it was different. It's just like SPM. Well, maybe not the only reason, but it's definitely one of the major ones.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#105ZeroArcheryPosted 1/1/2013 5:10:00 PM
Dynheart posted...
It's getting to the point where innovation is overrated. So many games that had potential...wasted on this word.

Trickle it in, have a good idea. Something innovative? Gotta admit, sounds like something we want, but we quickly turn on the developers and call it a gimmick if they don't deliver it EXACTLY how WE (I'm not a picky/jaded gamer, but there are a tons out there) want it, not the developers.

We forget they have a vision, and they want to deliver the vision to us. All we want to do is call them lazy, make the industry about us. Sure we can say there would be no industry without us...there would be no games without them. 2-way street.

Innovation? It's a grey area word if you ask me. People ask it, and when they get it? They don't want it because it's different. "This isn't Mario!" Or whatever. Or they just dismiss it because they deem it as a gimmick.

"Oh, at least they tried"...But then that's when we get games like Other M, and waste a Metroid game, eh? Now we have to wait years for another. But at least they tried...

It's a lose/lose with Innovation. It's a game of Russian roulette, but in reverse. The bullet would actually be the good game. Thing is, the odds are much less in our favor than a 1/6 chance.

It's funny, I remember two-three E3's where Reggie on stage said similar things to this post. People want what they've always wanted, but they also want those expectations blown. They want something new, but familiar. Ever notice when describing a game, you usually use another game as an example? "How's that game, Recettear? Oh, it's like Animal Crossing, but a Dungeon Crawler." or "What's that Halo 4 game? It's like a mix of Metroid Prime and Call of Duty."

Originality is hard to come by, and developers are constantly struggling to give something new and familiar- going for something completely new is risky and almost never sells. Look at new IP's from Square Enix, or even Nintendo- they bomb. But look at them using familiar characters for new ideas like Kirby Mass Attack. Replace Kirby with an original character, and that would be a "new IP" in the eyes of the public. I guarantee it would not have sold as well if they didn't put Kirby on the cover.

People don't think like that though. That's the problem. =( They don't judge a game on it's own merits, but on all other games.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#106Lousy_FellowPosted 1/1/2013 5:48:43 PM
"The only thing people are more afraid of than stagnation is change."

I find it hilarious that in the generation of CoD, people are picky about innovation from one of the only companies that actually dare to do so once in a while.

In the age of Hollywood production games, you can't afford to lose money by trying every single crazy concept that crosses your mind, unless it's something completely mind blowing. That's why a lot of the innovative stuff comes from indie developers, because they NEED to come up with something that can win against the millionaire games.

And then again, only a very few of these are truly innovative or actually good enough, because a good idea alone is worth nothing if everything else is crap.

By the way, I would say that people who played games on the 80s are adults now (I wish, with the mentality of a lot of people around here, I have my doubts). Adults are much, much harder to please than your average 10 years old; they've saw everything already (or a good part of it). It's hard to amaze someone when they are very acquainted to the tricks of the trade (that's why most RPGs nowadays feels tired and rehashed - we've already played most of those stories already).

So, either get a new hobby, or suck it up.
---
Why do you play games you don't enjoy? Are you a masochist?
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff514/Skull182-2/FutureofDLC.jpg
#107wiiking96Posted 1/1/2013 7:21:39 PM
overmaxx posted...
Why do you people drool so much over "innovation"? I don't get it, it's beyond me, and stupid as hell as far as I can see.

Want to play something different? Pick a different franchise, franchises are made to satisfy the expectations of users, if you don't like that franchise, move on and find one that suits you.

In fact, the notion of "innovation" inside franchises is dangerous, and bad, because it threatens the expectations of consumers when buying a product of that franchise.
If you like something, you want more of it, if you don't, you don't want it. It's that simple.

We don't want innovation in the sense of a total revamp: just improvements, brand new content(music, enemies, environments, ect), and new features that keep the experience fresh.

I personally would like most Nintendo sequels to do what DKC2 did, that's an example of a near perfect sequel.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#108KAMMYqueenPosted 1/1/2013 7:40:56 PM
it also seems the TC ran out of innovation
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa for Super Smash Bros
U
#109leeko_linkPosted 1/1/2013 8:37:20 PM(edited)
NoJobBob posted...
Wth has happened to my favourite series

Used to ever mario game we got was so fresh

Now Nintendo has gave us

Galaxy
Galaxy 2

New super mario bros
New super mario bros Wii
New super mario bros 2
New super mario bros Wii U

THEY ARE ALL 95% EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!

It is criminal how lazy nintendo has became with what used to be the freshest series. I will NOT be surprised if the new 3d mario on the wiiu is galaxy 3

Ya but then the SAME person also complain when it's 95% exactly not the SAME. Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Paper Mario, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star to name a few.
#110TheSmartBlondePosted 1/1/2013 8:41:26 PM
NoJobBob posted...
Tsutarja495 posted...
NoJobBob posted...
Why are you talking about paper mario??? thats completely different

So you're complaining about how Mario games aren't different enough, and then when someone brings up a Mario game that is different, you say that doesn't count? What do you want?

There's also 3D Land, even though I didn't like it, a lot of people said they did.

Dont know how to spell it out for you. I mean his main series. I want innovation here like there used to be

Look mar mario 1, mario 2, mario 3, SMW, SM64, Sunshine and then galaxy......All different and fresh....

Then we have been suffocated by rehashes

Sunshine was largely hated.