Itsa me Mario! I've ran out of innovation

#111overmaxxPosted 1/1/2013 8:46:01 PM
wiiking96 posted...
overmaxx posted...
Why do you people drool so much over "innovation"? I don't get it, it's beyond me, and stupid as hell as far as I can see.

Want to play something different? Pick a different franchise, franchises are made to satisfy the expectations of users, if you don't like that franchise, move on and find one that suits you.

In fact, the notion of "innovation" inside franchises is dangerous, and bad, because it threatens the expectations of consumers when buying a product of that franchise.
If you like something, you want more of it, if you don't, you don't want it. It's that simple.

We don't want innovation in the sense of a total revamp: just improvements, brand new content(music, enemies, environments, ect), and new features that keep the experience fresh.

I personally would like most Nintendo sequels to do what DKC2 did, that's an example of a near perfect sequel.

Those things are not innovative, they are iterative.
The problem lies in the vocabulary, then? Because sequels are supposed to be iterative.
"Innovation" is thekeyword of new IPs, not sequels; sequels are iterative.
#112wiiking96Posted 1/1/2013 9:08:48 PM
overmaxx posted...
wiiking96 posted...
overmaxx posted...
Why do you people drool so much over "innovation"? I don't get it, it's beyond me, and stupid as hell as far as I can see.

Want to play something different? Pick a different franchise, franchises are made to satisfy the expectations of users, if you don't like that franchise, move on and find one that suits you.

In fact, the notion of "innovation" inside franchises is dangerous, and bad, because it threatens the expectations of consumers when buying a product of that franchise.
If you like something, you want more of it, if you don't, you don't want it. It's that simple.

We don't want innovation in the sense of a total revamp: just improvements, brand new content(music, enemies, environments, ect), and new features that keep the experience fresh.

I personally would like most Nintendo sequels to do what DKC2 did, that's an example of a near perfect sequel.

Those things are not innovative, they are iterative.
The problem lies in the vocabulary, then? Because sequels are supposed to be iterative.
"Innovation" is thekeyword of new IPs, not sequels; sequels are iterative.

It's possible to be innovative in small ways. DKC2 introduced the Kong team up mechanic and several very clever level gimmicks. The whole system doesn't have to be innovative, just small parts. Metroid Prime: Echoes was innovative in it's ammo system and dark world, but it still kept around 95% of what every one liked about the first title.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#113necro00Posted 1/1/2013 9:10:14 PM
Linetrix posted...
Nintendo died with the N64.

agreed
#114TheSmartBlondePosted 1/1/2013 10:02:44 PM
I thought both Galaxy 1 & 2 were two of the greatest Mario games ever made. And two of the best 3D platformers too. I've never seen so many negative comments about them before.

And before you insult me of my age thinking god forbid that I like newer Mario games than Mario 64 and the 2D Mario platformers on the NES and SNES... I am 32 years old.

Super Mario Bros. 3 and Word are great games. They are timeless classics.
#115fawfulmark2Posted 1/1/2013 10:10:06 PM
TheSmartBlonde posted...
I thought both Galaxy 1 & 2 were two of the greatest Mario games ever made. And two of the best 3D platformers too. I've never seen so many negative comments about them before.

And before you insult me of my age thinking god forbid that I like newer Mario games than Mario 64 and the 2D Mario platformers on the NES and SNES... I am 32 years old.

Super Mario Bros. 3 and Word are great games. They are timeless classics.

Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario. Period. seriously the only fans who don't like that game are the ones who are afraid to admit any mario game after 2000 was good.
---
Official Pipo Snake of the PAS board.
#116GoombaXPosted 1/1/2013 10:23:39 PM
Linetrix posted...
Nintendo died with the N64.

gaming died with the ps2
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#117ZeroArcheryPosted 1/1/2013 10:26:19 PM
There's a lot of corpses in here...
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#118ukokira1Posted 1/1/2013 10:39:05 PM
Spreads thetvirus around to reanimate the corpses.
---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.