USB hub?

#1arameakaPosted 1/1/2013 6:56:48 PM(edited)
so i bought a mypassport external hard drive today, but no stores in my area had any usb y-cables in stock. i do however have an unused belkin 4 port usb hub at home. could i possibly use that instead of buying a y cable? it has a power adapter, so could i just plug the hard drive through the hub and feed off the power adapter of the hub?
#2DiscostewSMPosted 1/1/2013 7:01:59 PM
It should work, but understand that with it being powered separately (through the hub), the hub will be powered, and that may have the HDD active as well.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3arameaka(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 7:10:47 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what is wrong with the hard drive being constantly active? not really sure how the thing works.
#4arameaka(Topic Creator)Posted 1/1/2013 7:46:29 PM
bump
#5MikeBearmanPosted 1/1/2013 8:02:05 PM
If your passport is like mine you will need a y cable, it would work sometimes without it but would freeze the system up most of the time without 1, I got mine from amazon no stores sell them retail from what I can tell.

Also a hub would probably need a y cable also since it would be running through 1 usb cable and wouldn't draw enough power, unless they make hubs that run on 2 usb cables.
#6MikeBearmanPosted 1/1/2013 8:04:24 PM
Since it has a power adapter maybe, you would have to try it but if your system hangs or freezes you'll know it's not good enough.