It's sad that Nintendo is no longer king of gaming. Apple is

#101The J0kerPosted 1/5/2013 7:50:50 AM
Phange 2 posted...
I do hope you know the difference between revenue and profits.

Of course I do, but revenue determines the absolute ceiling for the profits.

I have no idea how much of Apple's ~$2.8 billion App Store revenue (which again covers more than just games) that are profits, but even with a profit margin of 100% they wouldn't match Nintendo's profits for the period.

Regardless though, revenue is typically used over profit when determining the size of a market. I mean, Sony Computer Entertainment lost several billion dollars during this period but that doesn't make the market any smaller. (It does make it volatile, though.)
#102StealthlysPosted 1/5/2013 7:52:20 AM
So...Nintendo previously held the title of "king of gaming" Now Apple has the title?
#103excitebike64Posted 1/5/2013 8:46:37 AM
Phange 2 posted...
excitebike64 posted...
Phange 2 posted...
Shadow_Ganon posted...
iOS has no buttons; therefore, it doesn't matter.

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

sorry to burst your bubble

The average phone gamer would never get that. Meaning, it is no where close to being a high end gaming machine, even if it is because of the consumers themselves holding it back, not the technology.

Other than having a GPU at least a dozen times more powerful and a screen considerably better?

If not enough people buy it, it does not matter. You would have to see several million people buying the attachment and then be willing to buy the games that count. Not happening any time soon.

Nintendo owns the handheld market, no question. Free and penny apps don't really amount to much.
#104VampiricDragon_Posted 1/5/2013 9:33:46 AM
nintendo is the king of gaming
#105jagger_wandererPosted 1/5/2013 9:49:27 AM
The sad fate of gaming on smartphone is the battery life. I have never met a person that plays games on their phone for at least an hour. They quit before that because "battery is low." With more powerful hardware you are require to use up more electricity and current battery technology can't handle it.
As it stands, there are emulators for the android phone. It's ironic that people with use these programs to play dedicated handheld games on their phones.
---
Joy is to the ears that hear not the mouth that speaks.
Chronicles of the Unbeliever
#106Lord_KagatoPosted 1/5/2013 9:51:52 AM
Pretty much had enough of NoJobBob.

Ignored.
---
Watch my LPs and UMvC3's Courtroom Drama! - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
Current LPs: Majora's Mask, Fatal Frame 2, Persona 3 FES
#107Z_ZawPosted 1/5/2013 10:37:32 AM
Steve Jobs is dead while Miyamoto lives.

your argument is irrelevant.
#108Sega9599Posted 1/5/2013 10:51:19 AM
Arbies: More people have brought our sausage rolls than had a McDonalds Apple Pie, so I guess we're the King of the Snack foods!

:p
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#109excitebike64Posted 1/5/2013 11:28:14 AM
jagger_wanderer posted...
The sad fate of gaming on smartphone is the battery life. I have never met a person that plays games on their phone for at least an hour. They quit before that because "battery is low." With more powerful hardware you are require to use up more electricity and current battery technology can't handle it.
As it stands, there are emulators for the android phone. It's ironic that people with use these programs to play dedicated handheld games on their phones.

touche