It's sad that Nintendo is no longer king of gaming. Apple is

#51Lightning_fanPosted 1/3/2013 9:43:53 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
Wow. Comparing the sales of cheap $2.00 (or even free) apps to full-blown $50-60 full games. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with THAT comparison!

Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games.
#52endoflevelbossPosted 1/3/2013 9:46:39 AM
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Wow. Comparing the sales of cheap $2.00 (or even free) apps to full-blown $50-60 full games. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with THAT comparison!

And how do they play with those touch controls?
#53Lightning_fanPosted 1/3/2013 9:48:21 AM
endoflevelboss posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Most of them play fine.

Ironic considering the selling point of the Wii U is its touch pad that you would criticize IOS games.
#54Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 9:54:15 AM(edited)
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

So?

Carnival games looks better than The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Wii Play looks better than Super Mario World. Kinect Adventures looks better than Soul Calibur. Does that mean these are the better games?

Of course, the iPhone does have some good games:
-Lostwinds is one of my favorite games of this generation...then again, that's also available on the Wii.
-Real Racing 2 is a great racing game for its price.
-Carcassonne and The Settlers of Catan both have excellent digital versions on the iPhone.
-Until Banana Splitz came out, it arguably the best portable Super Monkey Ball game (though I personally think the N-Gage game holds that title).

But all-in-all, the iPhone's library doesn't come close to the libraries of the 3DS, Vita, Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#55endoflevelbossPosted 1/3/2013 9:54:34 AM
Lightning_fan posted...
endoflevelboss posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

Most of them play fine.

Ironic considering the selling point of the Wii U is its touch pad that you would criticize IOS games.

It's only my opinion but I find iOS games with virtual buttons and sticks absolutely awful to control. Angry Birds and Plants V Zombies are fine but they are very casual games and offer a different experience to the games I expect on my 3DS or Vita.

The gamepad comparison doesn't make much sense to me as it offers physical controls that are on par (again in my opinion) with any other home or portable games console.
#56Lightning_fanPosted 1/3/2013 9:59:02 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

So?

Carnival games looks better than The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Wii Play looks better than Super Mario World. Kinect Adventures looks better than Soul Calibur. Does that mean these are the better games?

-Lostwinds is one of my favorite games of this generation...then again, that's also available on the Wii.
-Carcassonne and The Settlers of Catan both have excellent digital versions on the iPhone.
-Until Banana Splitz came out, it arguably the best portable Super Monkey Ball game (though I personally think the N-Gage game holds that title).

But all-in-all, the iPhone's library doesn't come close to the libraries of the 3DS, Vita, Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360.

Your purposely leaving out so many IOS games...
I never said that graphics were all that matter, nice strawman.

I am saying that for a fraction of the cost you can get games that look better than the games out for the Wii on IOS. Super cheap Infinity Blade versus 60$ game? Both are good games but IOS games are more appealing because they are not overpriced.
#57Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 10:00:09 AM
I bet Apple makes more money off the iOS App Store per month than Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo make combined in the same amount of time.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#58Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 10:00:25 AM
Lightning_fan posted...
Enigma149 posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...

So?

Your purposely leaving out so many IOS games...
I never said that graphics were all that matter, nice strawman.

I am saying that for a fraction of the cost you can get games that look better than the games out for the Wii on IOS. Super cheap Infinity Blade versus 60$ game? Both are good games but IOS games are more appealing because they are not overpriced.

You said, and I quote, "Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games." I was simply going off of your statement.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
#59Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 10:01:24 AM
Phange 2 posted...
I bet Apple makes more money off the iOS App Store per month than Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo make combined in the same amount of time.

The J0ker posted...
The revenue - and by extension - profit numbers for the App Store is surprisingly small compared to the traditional video game market, actually.

Since the App Store launched in July 2008, Apple has paid a cumulative total of $6.5 billion to App Store developers. Apple's cut is 30% so they generated 6.5 / 0.7 *0.3 = ~$2.8 billion for themselves.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/25/apple-sets-all-time-record-for-quarterly-app-store-sales-700k-apps-275k-for-ipad-6-5b-paid-to-devs/

In the same period of time (FY2009 to date), Nintendo's total revenue was about 4.935 trillion, or about $56.5 billion.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_pl_e1209.pdf

And then we take into account that App Store revenue covers all apps, not just games.

---
#60Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 10:01:44 AM
AhnoldDood posted...

There is when you sell 100x as many of those $2.00 games.

The bottom line is volume. Sales volume wins out over expensive games selling relatively small volumes.

Only a handful of big-budget games, like Call of Duty, really rake in the cash. The rest are usually not as much of a profit margin as you might think (ask THQ)
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange