It's sad that Nintendo is no longer king of gaming. Apple is

#61Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 11:02:25 AM
endoflevelboss posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Wow. Comparing the sales of cheap $2.00 (or even free) apps to full-blown $50-60 full games. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with THAT comparison!

Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games.

And how do they play with those touch controls?

Remind me what the DS's selling point was, again?
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#62TerotrousPosted 1/3/2013 11:03:25 AM
DS's selling point was games, to be honest. The number of games that do anything substantial with the touch screen or dual screen functionality is very limited.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#63Lightning_fanPosted 1/3/2013 11:05:26 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
Enigma149 posted...
Lightning_fan posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Wow. Comparing the sales of cheap $2.00 (or even free) apps to full-blown $50-60 full games. Yeah, there's nothing wrong with THAT comparison!

Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games.

So?

Carnival games looks better than The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Wii Play looks better than Super Mario World. Kinect Adventures looks better than Soul Calibur. Does that mean these are the better games?

Of course, the iPhone does have some good games:
-Lostwinds is one of my favorite games of this generation...then again, that's also available on the Wii.
-Real Racing 2 is a great racing game for its price.
-Carcassonne and The Settlers of Catan both have excellent digital versions on the iPhone.
-Until Banana Splitz came out, it arguably the best portable Super Monkey Ball game (though I personally think the N-Gage game holds that title).

But all-in-all, the iPhone's library doesn't come close to the libraries of the 3DS, Vita, Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360.

Your purposely leaving out so many IOS games...
I never said that graphics were all that matter, nice strawman.

I am saying that for a fraction of the cost you can get games that look better than the games out for the Wii on IOS. Super cheap Infinity Blade versus 60$ game? Both are good games but IOS games are more appealing because they are not overpriced.

You said, and I quote, "Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games." I was simply going off of your statement.

You were making a strawman... I was responding to your $60 "full blown game"... By pointing out that many IOS games have just as much content and better graphics than 3DS, Vita, and Wii games.

Not bashing other systems though just defending IOS gaming (which Nintendo and Sony fanbots love to dismiss).
#64Lightning_fanPosted 1/3/2013 11:08:42 AM
Terotrous posted...
DS's selling point was games, to be honest. The number of games that do anything substantial with the touch screen or dual screen functionality is very limited.

Quite a few games on 3DS, DS, and Vita require touch controls.

All three handhelds use unconventional controls.

IOS gaming does sacrifice buttons at the cost of portability and aesthetics. However the irony is... Most IOS games that emulate buttons play traditionally and are not as riddled with gimmicks as the three handhelds I just mentioned.
IOS gamers do not bash the games that use these methods of control because they are games.

IOS games are games.

Its incredibly ridiculous to dismiss an entire platforms library because you dislike the controls...
#65endoflevelbossPosted 1/3/2013 11:10:31 AM
Terotrous posted...

Which makes sense given that touch based controls are very limiting.

I bet FIFA looks as good on the iPad as it does on Vita but I'd only consider buying one because of the controls.

There are some games that work great on iOS but they are casual games and I generally prefer "proper" games (for want of a better word).
#66Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 11:10:46 AM
iOS gaming has easily surpassed the content expectations most consumers have with handheld games. Simply put, there's nothing on a handheld to match the content of Modern Combat 4 or the like.

It's the reason why handhelds in general aren't doing so hot. Vita is floundering and the 3DS is basically treading water. There's no room for $40 handheld games that aren't discernably superior to far cheaper alternatives on devices everyone has.

But the real surprise is how this burgeoning industry of cheap or freemium games is starting to encroach into the console market as well. I don't think any console will sell particularly well this coming generation, to be honest. There's no media functionality that people want or need that hasn't already been met by the PS3, 360 and now the Wii U. There's not much value in the next generation of consoles outside of graphics, and that hasn't sold consumers lately.
---
Bacon.
#67Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 11:10:54 AM
Lightning_fan posted...
You were making a strawman... I was responding to your $60 "full blown game"... By pointing out that many IOS games have just as much content and better graphics than 3DS, Vita, and Wii games.

Not bashing other systems though just defending IOS gaming (which Nintendo and Sony fanbots love to dismiss).

Ahem.

My $60 what? Where did I say anything like that? I don't - oh. You thought I was AhnoldDood.

Here's a tip: read the username of people you are responding to before you attempt to make an argument.

Also, my argument doesn't count as a strawman, since you clearly stated that the games "look better". Now, if you said "are better", "play better", etc., that would've been fine. If you presented a large argument, of which, "Many of apple's cheap $2.00 games look better than Wii games," was only a small part, and I only went after that part, that would be a strawman. However, since you did not, and your original position only dealt with the how good the games look, as opposed to how good the games are, this does not count as a strawman.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#68Darth_ElusivePosted 1/3/2013 11:12:05 AM
endoflevelboss posted...
Darth_Elusive posted...
The iPhone 5 already got some impressive games. We start to see some quality games from long time console game publishers like Square Enix, Capcom, SNK plus lots games from smartphone game developers like Gameoft, Gamevil, Epic.

Every year the iPhone gets a more powerful update to the previous version. The game on the iPhone will get better at a faster rate than those on the 3DS. It won't be long before the iPhone and other smartphones capable of gaming decimate the handhelds such as 3DS and PS Vita.

In more than one occasion, Nintendo President Iwata was critical about the "cheap" games available on smart phones - the same kind of comment I saw someone posted on this thread. Iwata is worried about gaming on smart phone because he knows it is a real threat to an important part of Nintendo's business.

And he has very good reason to worry: The so-called casual games that helped Wii raise to number one in the console world, there are a lot of these types of games on iPhone. They are "cheap" fun game that people like.

All signs are pointing to the demise of 3DS and PS Vita

... Assuming there is no market for portable games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience anymore.

3DS will live on unaffected...

...Assuming iPhone doesn't have games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience
...Assuming traditional game developers won't put in more resources in IOS devices.
....Assuming your pre-teen cousin/nephew/niece/ whoever doesn't want a more sophisticated cell phone/portable game machine / portable internet browser/ video audio player/ mini computer than a mere handheld video game machine when they grow up
---
Look at my XBOX720 ===> i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead or Alive 5
#69Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 11:13:18 AM
The only thing that's stopped Apple from completely taking over the handheld gaming market is a lack of tactile controls. One that you can be sure Apple will address with a standardized Apple controller of some kind (one that connects to the iPhone and wirelessly to the iPad and Apple TV)

The latest generation of Apple TV is almost on-par graphically with an Xbox 360. For $99. Think about that for a moment. Apple is simply a universal iOS controller away from completely taking over gaming.
---
Bacon.
#70Phange 2Posted 1/3/2013 11:14:31 AM
Darth_Elusive posted...
endoflevelboss posted...
Darth_Elusive posted...
The iPhone 5 already got some impressive games. We start to see some quality games from long time console game publishers like Square Enix, Capcom, SNK plus lots games from smartphone game developers like Gameoft, Gamevil, Epic.

Every year the iPhone gets a more powerful update to the previous version. The game on the iPhone will get better at a faster rate than those on the 3DS. It won't be long before the iPhone and other smartphones capable of gaming decimate the handhelds such as 3DS and PS Vita.

In more than one occasion, Nintendo President Iwata was critical about the "cheap" games available on smart phones - the same kind of comment I saw someone posted on this thread. Iwata is worried about gaming on smart phone because he knows it is a real threat to an important part of Nintendo's business.

And he has very good reason to worry: The so-called casual games that helped Wii raise to number one in the console world, there are a lot of these types of games on iPhone. They are "cheap" fun game that people like.

All signs are pointing to the demise of 3DS and PS Vita

... Assuming there is no market for portable games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience anymore.

3DS will live on unaffected...

...Assuming iPhone doesn't have games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience
...Assuming traditional game developers won't put in more resources in IOS devices.
....Assuming your pre-teen cousin/nephew/niece/ whoever doesn't want a more sophisticated cell phone/portable game machine / portable internet browser/ video audio player/ mini computer than a mere handheld video game machine when they grow up

Find me a 3DS game better than Bastion, which is 99 cents on the iOS store.
---
Bacon.