It's sad that Nintendo is no longer king of gaming. Apple is

#81BuretsuPosted 1/3/2013 12:19:07 PM
Darth_Elusive posted...
...Assuming iPhone doesn't have games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience
...Assuming traditional game developers won't put in more resources in IOS devices.
....Assuming your pre-teen cousin/nephew/niece/ whoever doesn't want a more sophisticated cell phone/portable game machine / portable internet browser/ video audio player/ mini computer than a mere handheld video game machine when they grow up

They generally don't.
They haven't so far.
Who says they won't want both?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#82DynheartPosted 1/3/2013 12:19:12 PM
Phange 2 posted...
Darth_Elusive posted...
endoflevelboss posted...
Darth_Elusive posted...
The iPhone 5 already got some impressive games. We start to see some quality games from long time console game publishers like Square Enix, Capcom, SNK plus lots games from smartphone game developers like Gameoft, Gamevil, Epic.

Every year the iPhone gets a more powerful update to the previous version. The game on the iPhone will get better at a faster rate than those on the 3DS. It won't be long before the iPhone and other smartphones capable of gaming decimate the handhelds such as 3DS and PS Vita.

In more than one occasion, Nintendo President Iwata was critical about the "cheap" games available on smart phones - the same kind of comment I saw someone posted on this thread. Iwata is worried about gaming on smart phone because he knows it is a real threat to an important part of Nintendo's business.

And he has very good reason to worry: The so-called casual games that helped Wii raise to number one in the console world, there are a lot of these types of games on iPhone. They are "cheap" fun game that people like.

All signs are pointing to the demise of 3DS and PS Vita

... Assuming there is no market for portable games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience anymore.

3DS will live on unaffected...

...Assuming iPhone doesn't have games that offer more than a casual, time waster experience
...Assuming traditional game developers won't put in more resources in IOS devices.
....Assuming your pre-teen cousin/nephew/niece/ whoever doesn't want a more sophisticated cell phone/portable game machine / portable internet browser/ video audio player/ mini computer than a mere handheld video game machine when they grow up

Find me a 3DS game better than Bastion, which is 99 cents on the iOS store.

I bought that game...ugh. Linear. Short. Beat it in 3 hours, maybe less. Yes, I unlocked everything. 99 is a deal, I guess. But to put that game on a pedestal? Will not play again.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#83Propellerhead7Posted 1/3/2013 12:54:46 PM
I really hate when people (trolls) and ESPECIALLY so-called "tech writers" from big magazines and newspapers proclaim that iPhone or phone games in general will take over the portable game market. I honestly feel that they've never actually played a true handled game because the difference between a phone game and even a GBA game is vast.

The most limiting factor for me with the phone games is really simple: controls. Its far easier and more precise to have a physical, dedicated button. I'm sorry, but gaming on just a touchscreen is just a shallow copy of button gaming. (And don't even think of merging phone and gaming device. Anyone remember the Xperia Play? Heck, even the N-Gage?)
---
PSN ID: Propellerhead7
#84Phange 2Posted 1/4/2013 6:12:02 AM
Propellerhead7 posted...
I really hate when people (trolls) and ESPECIALLY so-called "tech writers" from big magazines and newspapers proclaim that iPhone or phone games in general will take over the portable game market. I honestly feel that they've never actually played a true handled game because the difference between a phone game and even a GBA game is vast.

The most limiting factor for me with the phone games is really simple: controls. Its far easier and more precise to have a physical, dedicated button. I'm sorry, but gaming on just a touchscreen is just a shallow copy of button gaming. (And don't even think of merging phone and gaming device. Anyone remember the Xperia Play? Heck, even the N-Gage?)

iOS/Android gaming has already left its toll on this generation of handhelds. The Vita is essentially stillborn and the 3DS has very little developer interest.

The era of dedicated handhelds is basically over.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#85RunetheKoopaPosted 1/4/2013 6:16:15 AM
Nintendo hasn't been the king of gaming since the SNES era.
#86bleedingelitePosted 1/4/2013 6:17:34 AM
RunetheKoopa posted...
Nintendo hasn't been the king of gaming since the SNES era.

Depends. I might be able to argue that they are the king of games since they make the best games, but I think the demographic has broadened a lot to include the "lol I pwn u noob"
gamers.
#87Phange 2Posted 1/4/2013 6:17:58 AM
I also find it ironic that there are still people using the argument that iOS gaming has less depth than handheld gaming. At this point, the exact opposite is the problem. Games like Modern Combat 4 and The Room have essentially surpassed what is expected or even possible on handhelds, and the countless improved (but still much cheaper) console and handheld ports like FFIV (Upgraded DS port), Bastion, and GTA Vice City are all better than their handheld counterparts at a fraction of the price.
---
Bacon.
#88The J0kerPosted 1/4/2013 6:27:46 AM(edited)
Western developers have never shown much interest in handhelds. In Japan however the 3DS is the overwhelmingly dominant system.

Why is it that iOS keeps getting cheap games and ports? It can't support serious big budget handheld games. In addition to which, touch screen alone is severely limiting for 95% of games.
#89Phange 2Posted 1/4/2013 6:29:39 AM
The J0ker posted...
Western developers have never shown much interest in handhelds. In Japan however the 3DS is the overwhelmingly dominant system.

Why is it that iOS keeps getting cheap games and ports? It can't support serious big budget handheld games. In addition to which, touch screen alone is severely limiting for 95% of games.

Name a single game on 3DS with the budget of the iOS version of Walking Dead
---
Bacon.
#90DeathSnipe777Posted 1/4/2013 6:50:50 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]