It's sad that Nintendo is no longer king of gaming. Apple is

#91The J0kerPosted 1/4/2013 8:22:20 AM
That would've been a good point if the game wasn't released on Windows, Mac OS, PS3 and Xbox 360 first.
#92squatch22Posted 1/4/2013 8:31:13 AM
Phange 2 posted...
The J0ker posted...
Western developers have never shown much interest in handhelds. In Japan however the 3DS is the overwhelmingly dominant system.

Why is it that iOS keeps getting cheap games and ports? It can't support serious big budget handheld games. In addition to which, touch screen alone is severely limiting for 95% of games.

Name a single game on 3DS with the budget of the iOS version of Walking Dead

Resi Revelations...
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#93Phange 2Posted 1/4/2013 7:39:54 PM
squatch22 posted...
Phange 2 posted...
The J0ker posted...
Western developers have never shown much interest in handhelds. In Japan however the 3DS is the overwhelmingly dominant system.

Why is it that iOS keeps getting cheap games and ports? It can't support serious big budget handheld games. In addition to which, touch screen alone is severely limiting for 95% of games.

Name a single game on 3DS with the budget of the iOS version of Walking Dead

Resi Revelations...

Very funny, try again.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#94NikraPosted 1/4/2013 8:52:38 PM
bumb
#95HeaderHogPosted 1/4/2013 9:46:00 PM
It's sad that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft aren't the titans of gaming anymore.
The bugs of the App Store are now.
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#96The J0kerPosted 1/5/2013 6:48:12 AM
^
The J0ker posted...
The revenue - and by extension - profit numbers for the App Store is surprisingly small compared to the traditional video game market, actually.

Since the App Store launched in July 2008, Apple has paid a cumulative total of $6.5 billion to App Store developers. Apple's cut is 30% so they generated 6.5 / 0.7 *0.3 = ~$2.8 billion for themselves.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/25/apple-sets-all-time-record-for-quarterly-app-store-sales-700k-apps-275k-for-ipad-6-5b-paid-to-devs/

In the same period of time (FY2009 to date), Nintendo's total revenue was about 4.935 trillion, or about $56.5 billion.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_pl_e1209.pdf

And then we take into account that App Store revenue covers all apps, not just games.

Anyway, smart money says that Revelations cost more than the iOS port of The Walking Dead, but since this data isn't public as far as I'm aware there is no way to know. In either case, iOS has to hope for ports if it wants high profile exclusives.
#97Phange 2Posted 1/5/2013 8:09:20 AM
The J0ker posted...
^
The J0ker posted...
The revenue - and by extension - profit numbers for the App Store is surprisingly small compared to the traditional video game market, actually.

Since the App Store launched in July 2008, Apple has paid a cumulative total of $6.5 billion to App Store developers. Apple's cut is 30% so they generated 6.5 / 0.7 *0.3 = ~$2.8 billion for themselves.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/25/apple-sets-all-time-record-for-quarterly-app-store-sales-700k-apps-275k-for-ipad-6-5b-paid-to-devs/

In the same period of time (FY2009 to date), Nintendo's total revenue was about 4.935 trillion, or about $56.5 billion.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_pl_e1209.pdf

And then we take into account that App Store revenue covers all apps, not just games.

Anyway, smart money says that Revelations cost more than the iOS port of The Walking Dead, but since this data isn't public as far as I'm aware there is no way to know. In either case, iOS has to hope for ports if it wants high profile exclusives.

I do hope you know the difference between revenue and profits.
---
Bacon.
#98excitebike64Posted 1/5/2013 8:15:31 AM
Phange 2 posted...
Shadow_Ganon posted...
iOS has no buttons; therefore, it doesn't matter.

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

sorry to burst your bubble

The average phone gamer would never get that. Meaning, it is no where close to being a high end gaming machine, even if it is because of the consumers themselves holding it back, not the technology.
#99Phange 2Posted 1/5/2013 8:26:10 AM
excitebike64 posted...
Phange 2 posted...
Shadow_Ganon posted...
iOS has no buttons; therefore, it doesn't matter.

http://www.icontrolpad.com/

sorry to burst your bubble

The average phone gamer would never get that. Meaning, it is no where close to being a high end gaming machine, even if it is because of the consumers themselves holding it back, not the technology.

Other than having a GPU at least a dozen times more powerful and a screen considerably better?
---
Bacon.
#100Geminia999Posted 1/5/2013 8:35:05 AM
Phange 2 posted...
Propellerhead7 posted...
I really hate when people (trolls) and ESPECIALLY so-called "tech writers" from big magazines and newspapers proclaim that iPhone or phone games in general will take over the portable game market. I honestly feel that they've never actually played a true handled game because the difference between a phone game and even a GBA game is vast.

The most limiting factor for me with the phone games is really simple: controls. Its far easier and more precise to have a physical, dedicated button. I'm sorry, but gaming on just a touchscreen is just a shallow copy of button gaming. (And don't even think of merging phone and gaming device. Anyone remember the Xperia Play? Heck, even the N-Gage?)

iOS/Android gaming has already left its toll on this generation of handhelds. The Vita is essentially stillborn and the 3DS has very little developer interest.

The era of dedicated handhelds is basically over.

Uh, where exactly does the 3DS have little developer interest? Seems to still be doing pretty damn well and have the games coming.

Anyways, another issue with IOS is upgrading. I mean yeah, apple already has their guys buying the new phones on launch day only a year after the last, but I never really felt it was worth it due to the last still being fine. Technology is moving fast in that regard and requiring constant upgrades is definitely a huge issue since apple want's you to buy whole new items, not just make the old one better like a PC.

Add in that the market isn't that great overall. I mean apple gets 30%, now you have a 1-10 dollar game. For higher end games to start moving there, they already start to lose buyers who just want the next angry birds. So now increased production costs, less buyers and raised prices. Add in that for them to just port there are already better options to play than on your phone. It starts to seem kinda redundant overall. I don't know, maybe they can eventual out of the mandatory low price and bring actual controls into their games, otherwise, I can see IOS just kinda staying in this state.
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should