These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#1sejan12Posted 1/3/2013 9:56:32 AM(edited)
Newest evidence:
http://www.gamechup.com/sony-patent-new-tech-that-suppresses-second-hand-game-sales/

With a firm patent application, it seems more and more likely that at least one if not both of Nintendo's competitors are going to try to kill off used game sales. How will this affect the Wii U and 3DS?

I see three possible options.

First, nothing happens and business goes on as usual. This option would be neutral to all parties as no one would benefit.

Second, for fear of damaging business, game stores like Gamestop, mom and pop shops, and anyone else that profits off used sales push systems that don't use such technologies to a preferred position. They get more shelf space and advertising. Employees are instructed to push systems that are used-game friendly.

Third, 3rd parties pull back support from systems that don't use this technology. They decide that the prospect of pulling in some revenue from used game sales is too good to pass up and abandon Nintendo and other used-game friendly systems.

Personally, this sort of technology bothers me on a huge level. I will not support any company that implements it. Used products are, and always have, been an important part of the capitalist structure. Imagine buying a pair of bluejeans from Goodwill or a yard sale and being told that you have to mail $5 to Levi's before you can wear them. Imagine buying a book second hand, but all the pages are blank until you send $2 to the publisher.

I love collecting games, but this sort of strategy is a direct assault against my hobby.

Consider these ways that used games stimulate the new game market:

Someone is short on cash, but really wants to buy the newest game. To make up for the money he doesn't have, he trades a game or two in order to buy a new game.

Someone just heard of the awesome sequel that was just announced. Unfortunately, they have heard mixed reviews and are hesitant to make the purchase. They quickly order the original game from the internet and love it. A few months later, they buy the sequel at launch.

Someone hears how great a game is from their friend. They borrow it and love it. They soon purchase it new. (this scenario isn't even about used game sales)

I have fallen into both of those categories myself. In both cases, I would not have been able to get the new game, but the used game market aided me. Without the used game market, the publisher would not have gotten any money in those situations.

Also, consider situations in which easy access to used games is essential.

A man gets a kick to relive part of his childhood. He goes and buys a classic system and his old favorite games. (impossible without a used game market.)

Several years into a console's life, someone decides to go back a play a game from the beginning. It is no longer being produced. (this person is hurt by this technology in the very same generation of systems by this technology.)

This sort of technology is anti-consumer. It punishes the very fans that support the system for doing something that has always been legal. Used goods are and always have been a part of any capitalistic system.

If the PS4 and XBox720 go this route, then I sincerely hope they get backlash for it.

How do you feel about technologies such as this? How do you feel it will affect the WiiU and the other next gen systems?
#2Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 9:24:19 AM
It only effects poor people.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#3tizzywilkillyouPosted 1/3/2013 9:24:20 AM
I'm with you, for the most part.

But one reason why your comparisons don't hold up is that all your examples cost money to produce/duplicate and distribute.

Games cost next to nothing to duplicate and distribute when done digitally. Even physically, it still costs less than your examples in all likelihood.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't put it past Sony/MSFT to pull a stunt like this... we'll see where things go...
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#4GAMERCAMRYPosted 1/3/2013 9:24:25 AM
I see.
---
Chuck Norris once ordered a Big Mac at Burger King....and got one.
#5TrueBlue91Posted 1/3/2013 9:24:30 AM
The day all companies do this, I'll stop gaming.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#6Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 9:26:58 AM
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

and hell I've seen them sell used games more expensive than new if you were to purchase at Wal-Mart.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#7cavebear56Posted 1/3/2013 9:29:25 AM
Though it wouldn't affect me in any way, I always buy new but I buy during sales ( I won't pay more than $30 for most games and I'm patient, I can wait), I wouldn't purchase a system that goes the route being discussed.

What if game gets a limited release or just is so hard to find that all you can get is a used copy?

Not every game has a digital release. Consoles are still far behind what PC's do, and even then PC is still evolving the process (a few sites allow you to trade back in certain digital games for credit).

Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Ignorance, in this statement, is not even close to bliss. Keep on trucking with the mindless drivel, short sightedness and lack of actual understanding of the entire issue. You do the world proud.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#8Baha05Posted 1/3/2013 9:32:21 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

and hell I've seen them sell used games more expensive than new if you were to purchase at Wal-Mart.

You're forgetting that prices over time tend to drop for used games.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#9Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 9:33:10 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Or people who want to play older video games.

Oh, you want to play Halo 5 and it's 2020? Too bad - there aren't any new copies, unless you're willing to pay $150 for one on the internet.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#10sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 9:33:13 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Yes, Gamestop's pricing has always been terrible. Also, 9 times out of 10, I'll buy the new game for the purpose of supporting the company, but there are many time in which it is impossible to find the game new. Sometimes the used games are considerably cheaper than the new. I just bought Fortune Street from Gamestop for $20 used. They had it priced at $50 new.