These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#111genlockPosted 1/3/2013 1:35:22 PM
This is a fascinating discussion in so many ways.

Frankly the argument regarding used items being part of a capitalist economy is complete bunk. IP is undergoing a radical new understanding across the world. And unless we start finding ways to fairly monetize it, we won;t be able to support it. That's why pure over-the-top services like Netflix have done so poorly. That's why Gamestop has essentially shot itself in the foot by not having any vision for the future and working with game companies as opposed to against them.

And frankly, poor people benefit far more from models that do not sell used games but that balance a market better - such as Steam. Everyone does.

Pirates and bad companies (not because they sell used merch, but how they do) like Gamestop have forced everyone's hand here.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#112OmgitsMarioPosted 1/3/2013 1:36:04 PM
The thing is, the costs of the games are, in all likely, going to drop as well. So you can see the prices drop to $50 brand new.
---
An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself.
#113Robotron2084Posted 1/3/2013 1:40:57 PM
These are corporations who care about profit, not gaming.

When you always have to turn a greater profit you do whatever it takes to please investors. This is the reason why indie games are so great. They still have a creative spark that drives them. The corporate controlled publishing system is killing gaming for me. It's as bad right now as the music industry. No rights to the product you create and almost zero profits.

Now there will always be one guy who says "well making money isn't bad". No it's not bad but it is destructructive when it is your only motivation. I would prefer to see the industry collapse and have a phoenix or two rise from the ash. The sooner the corporate greed machine loses interest in gaming the better.
#114TyrantLowKeyPosted 1/3/2013 1:55:42 PM
TrueBlue91 posted...
The day all companies do this, I'll stop gaming.

---
All time favs: FFX Int., FFXIII, Shadow Hearts Series, SMT: Nocturne, SMT DS OC (3DS), ToGF, TotA, FFT, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, ARF (Wii), LO (360), TO (PSP)
#115singhellotakuPosted 1/3/2013 1:59:43 PM
meh, i'll just go pc only for a few years, still not buying a wii-u though
#116FRo3tBLo0dPosted 1/3/2013 2:00:39 PM
I don't trade my games in so I seriously could care less.
#117Pawkie07Posted 1/3/2013 2:18:27 PM
I grew up playing PS1, PS2 and after all this time still with Sony with my PS3 and I love it. But if Sony goes down this road of banning used games I will completely stop supporting them. Obviously so will many others as well. It's like Sony wants to commit suicide.
#118silverbulltPosted 1/3/2013 2:20:18 PM
Pawkie07 posted...
I grew up playing PS1, PS2 and after all this time still with Sony with my PS3 and I love it. But if Sony goes down this road of banning used games I will completely stop supporting them. Obviously so will many others as well. It's like Sony wants to commit suicide.

There will be backlash but eventually everyone will adapt.
---
XBOX360 - It only does everything.
Nintendo FIX the Wii U FFS: http://youtu.be/gl5_qODv-gQ
#119diggyfreshPosted 1/3/2013 2:40:50 PM
There is an upside to license of console and its games. The price of playing the games could subsidize the price of cutting edge console technology and make it easier for people to buy into gaming.
#120bluedragon619Posted 1/3/2013 2:52:37 PM
Any console that comes with such device won't be in my home, and the fact is I know im not unique so say 1 of me is worth in the world maybe 1,000 people? You put a console price of say 300 and thats 300,000 they will lose
---
Your dead, NOW STAY DEAD