These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#141godplaysSNESPosted 1/3/2013 5:26:11 PM
SgtInfinity posted...
- Used games become a thing of the past
- Retail price drops due to not having to make up for losses because of used game sales.
- To make more profit, companies start doing holiday sales similar to steam.

What the hell are you all complaining about.

Point 1: That's not positive
Point 2: They may as well go up, since there isn't any other buying option
Point 3: Or simply never makes a discount at all
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#142AccrovideogamesPosted 1/3/2013 5:33:02 PM
I agree with TC and I approve of this topic. On a related note, it's illegal to prevent second hand sales and this is no different with gaming, digital or not. It's only a matter of time until the government intervenes and improves the law and its enforcement against such practices. Europe is currently in the process of doing so.
---
I'm French speaking.
Male, 22, Quebec
#143WarhawkPosted 1/3/2013 5:33:07 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

I was able to get a few games online, brand new and was able to save like $30 give or take a few.
---
CRP: 12949 | FAQs: 15
FAQ Outlaws | Mega Man Legends
#144d_sidePosted 1/3/2013 5:36:19 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It only effects poor people.

I hope you were dropped on your head when you were little.
---
Enter Thy Darkside Of GameFaqs
http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaDside
#145geneticsftwPosted 1/3/2013 5:58:32 PM
Virtue777 posted...
Virtue777 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It only effects poor people.

Thank you XD, nice sig.
#146ZarchoniaPosted 1/3/2013 6:16:27 PM
godplaysSNES posted...
SgtInfinity posted...
- Used games become a thing of the past
- Retail price drops due to not having to make up for losses because of used game sales.
- To make more profit, companies start doing holiday sales similar to steam.

What the hell are you all complaining about.

Point 1: That's not positive
Point 2: They may as well go up, since there isn't any other buying option
Point 3: Or simply never makes a discount at all

Point 2: Ever learn economics? You think they just arbitrarily arrived at $60? You also think that if new games increased in price to $70-75 that that wouldn't affect the gaming market?

All of your points seem to discredit Steams way of doing business and say that it doesn't matter. Yet if you look at steam, you'll see it's wildly successful because of the way it does business.

Being a greedy corporate money hog doesn't get you to win in the entertainment market because entertainment is optional.

Sony/MS are doing this because places like Gamestop are screwing over developers/publishers by offering players a game for a $5 discount with ZERO of the money going to the developer/publisher. Gamestop also pushes and encourages used games sales to their consumers (offering more rewards etc.).

How would you feel if you created something and then were undercut on that product by about 10% on the first day you release that product (Yes you can buy used games literally the day or day after they come out because people trade them in) AND you see zero money on the product sold for 10% less?
---
"How do you prove we exist? Maybe we don't exist." -Vivi
#147dennis941012Posted 1/3/2013 6:19:11 PM
I agree with TC and I approve of this topic. On a related note, it's illegal to prevent second hand sales and this is no different with gaming, digital or not. It's only a matter of time until the government intervenes and improves the law and its enforcement against such practices. Europe is currently in the process of doing so.

XD like U.S. government will ever do this
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#148godplaysSNESPosted 1/3/2013 6:25:23 PM
Companies like Gamestop isn't screwing anyone over. Pretty much every industry has a second hand market, why shall gaming suddenly be excluded?
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#149SmoshCuchPosted 1/3/2013 6:34:49 PM
From a thread over on the PS3 board...

SmoshCuch posted...
Companies patent things all the time, with no intention of ever using them. They can make money just by holding the patent.

If another company tries to make something similar, they can sue for patent infringement or force them to pay royalties. Or they do it to safeguard themselves from being sued by someone else, just in case they ever want to do it in the future. They may even want to patent this just in case MS or Nintendo try to block used games.

Companies devote billions of dollars to patents, even if many of them never get used.

Just because there's a patent, doesn't mean that Sony has any intention of using this in the PS4. Same with MS.
#150SharkbiteR6Posted 1/3/2013 6:35:46 PM
My concern with this is how it makes it harder to enjoy your system and game library as the system gets older. Say you picked up a PS3 late, after 3 or so years. Or get one now. You've heard good things about Valkyria Chronicles and want to try it out. Good luck with this tech in place. I cant remember the last time I saw a new copy on the shelves. So that's it, its either pay some insane premium that people are charging for unopened copies on Amazon/Ebay, or don't bother. And you could say that about any game as time goes on....
---
Currently playing: Hitman: Absolution, Persona 4: Arena, Xenoblade Chronicles, Brigandine