These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#161oxnerdPosted 1/3/2013 6:57:34 PM
Like most people I also buy new no matter what, but I am concerned if I would be able to buy an old new game in the future if they stop producing them.
#162Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 6:59:49 PM
Zarchonia posted...
godplaysSNES posted...
Companies like Gamestop isn't screwing anyone over. Pretty much every industry has a second hand market, why shall gaming suddenly be excluded?

Because in other 2nd hand markets the product is affected by wear and tear of the previous user making it less valuable than the original. Buy a used car, there's wear and tear on the motor, the tires, the transmission, the interior, the exterior, etc. You are getting a product in worse condition than if you purchased it new from the factory. This analogy carries through to other used products, book bindings wear out, tools degrade, furniture wears, etc. I could go on an on. This is also why a used product is often much less than its original counterpart, you pay less because you are accepted a worn product.

If you have a used copy of the game it is no worse than the original game, you get the exact same game that I did when I bought it new no different. Especially as games become more and more digital you won't even have a disc that could have scratches on it (which btw gamestop guarantees new games and you can get a scratched/damaged one replaced).

TLDR; Gamestop isn't actually selling you a "USED" product in the traditional sense of a used product.

Yeah!

Except for movies. Movies are pretty much the same as games, and there's a large second-hand market for those.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#163EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/3/2013 7:01:33 PM
Zarchonia posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...

It's not just Gamestop that offer used games. If Sony/Microsoft do this, you take away every single possible way a consumer can get a game cheaper. This includes, Craigslist, Ebay, borrowing from friends, along with places like Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. It's essentially handicapping the consumer as to how they can weigh their options and that won't go well with consumers regardless of how those developers feel. As much as it isn't good for business that they lose sales on those used games, consumer loyalty is far more valuable because if the game is good, then you can expect buyers to purchase future installments along with DLC if its provided that a developer can get money back on their games.

And while we may indeed see a price drop on retail games, how significant of a drop do you believe there will be initially to where this won't matter to consumers?

You raise some very valid points on other ways to acquire used games. I indeed used to share and borrow many games from my NES/SNES days with my neighbors. I agree that this was awesome, but we don't live in those times anymore unfortunately. There are tons of ways to see/experience a game before you decide it's worth the investment to purchase. There's professional and user reviews on tons of websites, there's videos demonstrating gameplay, there's even streams of players playing the game that you could watch to see what it is like. It's no longer the case that the only way to play a game was to play at a friends, the demo console in a store, or rent a copy from blockbuster.

One thing I have seen on Steam (I have PS3/XBOX/steam, just to show that I'm not totally STEAM ERMAGERD). Is that they will have weekends where you can play a game for free for about 48 hours (Usually games based on the multiplayer experience) to see if you like it. Perhaps a system like this would be implemented on consoles, or DEMOs would be more common and fleshed out (Remeber PS1 demo discs, FUN for hours).

I don't know how much a drop we could expect to see to be honest because I don't know how much used games sales are actually cutting into developer/publisher profits. Maybe a 5-10% drop (which is the current drop for most used games unless they are older 6 months +). We also could see sales on games offered by developers to encourage players to buy them.

As an aside I like some of you as debaters as you actually debate the topic and don't mindlessly insult the poster for their opinion or spew nonsense.

This is true. You bring up valid points as well. There are many ways one could experience a game before they actually purchase it. I personally look at reviews, watch gameplays on Youtube, and play demos before I purchase a game myself. However, people still have consumer rights as to how they get their games and disrupting those rights will alienate a good portion of whoever implements this into their systems. In this economy, you can not dictate how people can use their purchases. It will make consumers more reluctant to purchase games due to that thought in the back of the head that the game might not be as good as it may look on Youtube, reviews, in the demo, etc. I've had plenty of those cases that even after doing my research, I ended up purchasing the game and it didn't appeal to me as I initially thought it would.

And I asked that question because I don't believe the price drops will be significant enough to make consumers forget about it. This a patent so it may not even happen but if it does, Sony/Microsoft would be putting the nail in their own coffin.
---
Nintendo Network ID (Wii U): EnVy_CaLiBeR (PSN): EnVy_CaLIBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#164AwayFromHerePosted 1/3/2013 7:04:58 PM

Yeah!

Except for movies. Movies are pretty much the same as games, and there's a large second-hand market for those.

No there isn't. Not like Gamestop.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#165PezofpowerPosted 1/3/2013 7:08:56 PM
Accrovideogames posted...
I agree with TC and I approve of this topic. On a related note, it's illegal to prevent second hand sales and this is no different with gaming, digital or not. It's only a matter of time until the government intervenes and improves the law and its enforcement against such practices. Europe is currently in the process of doing so.

You don't own video games, you own the license to play them and the company clearly states they can terminate your ability to play at their discretion (their discretion being you attempting to resell their title). There's nothing illegal about this.
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#166genlockPosted 1/3/2013 7:11:42 PM
I think there are two things here that tend to get overlooked:

1. We already have a proof of concept here in the Steam system that doing this is better for both consumer, publisher, and the games market in general by empowering independent competition.

2. There is no such thing as new and used in this system. Games on Steam are as cheap as they were on the used market as they age away from new.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#167yoshirpgPosted 1/3/2013 7:12:36 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

and hell I've seen them sell used games more expensive than new if you were to purchase at Wal-Mart.

What about eBay and Amazon?

Almost all the games I buy from Amazon are used, and ALL the games I buy from eBay are used....
---
Pokemon WHITE 2 FC: 4556-8603-2383 Name: Nate
Youtube website: http://www.youtube.com/user/scigamerfan07
#168Enigma149Posted 1/3/2013 7:13:03 PM
AwayFromHere posted...

Yeah!

No there isn't. Not like Gamestop.

A large chain? No. But there are secondhand movie shops, and many people buy movies online.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#169Limelight788Posted 1/3/2013 7:22:38 PM
If Sony and Microsoft go down this route, then the next console they put out will both fail and it will confirm that the Wii U will be the last modern video game console I ever get.

Hopefully this is just a patent and doesn't become a reality because doing this would seriously damage the video game industry.
---
Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Geno, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Pichu, Genesect, Roy, Palutena, Mach Rider, Ray, and Mega Man for SSB4!
#170Ace_The_BlackPosted 1/3/2013 7:33:37 PM
My take on the whole thing is that in essence, this would affect those in the future the worst. Anyone who would want to go back and obtain a game that's no longer in production would be stuck hoping someone decided to hold on to an unopened copy, but would probably have to pay way more than they would have at launch for it. Not to mention this would also hurt a lot of businesses that make their livelihood off of used game sales. Making it a digital release only would essentially do the same thing, even if you could buy the code at a shop instead of online like with some DLC I've seen sold at Gamestop. If Sony and Microsoft go through with it, it's just showing me that once again, corporate suits are in their best interest, and don't care if they break a few eggs to have their omelet at the end of the day, with the eggs being lesser companies and shops in this case.
---
"It's time for Contra mode!" - me, when playing with no healing items.