These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#31quickposterPosted 1/3/2013 11:22:04 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Used games have been negatively affecting the industry for a while. Plus like I said in the other thread if both the 720 and the PS4 do this then we can expect few games on the U as publishers have wanted this type of system for a very long time.

And when people don't buy the consoles and ignore their games as a result? Consumers aren't stupid. Any system that does this would be stopped by retailers, shunned by consumers and given bad publicity to the very end. A system which did that would be dead on arrival.

Then they have no choice but to support Nintendo because they would buy that instead.
---
Bethesda not convinced people will buy the next xbox and PS4: your install base always starts at zero
#32xoftheuniversePosted 1/3/2013 11:30:11 AM
I think that any system that does not support used games will drastically kill of a good portion of their sales. I would not have bought a WiiU or 3DS if they did not support used games. If they don't support physical media it's even worse as I usually get online deals for my new games. Either way it is hard to get every single game you want to play while stores still carry them.
---
Sex is good, 3DS is better.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#33NettoSaitoPosted 1/3/2013 11:37:22 AM
This is a rumor from about a year and a half ago lol
---
3DS FC - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | Nintendo Network - [NettoSaito]
My Backloggery - http://www.backloggery.com/NettoSaito
#34geneticsftwPosted 1/3/2013 11:41:18 AM
DTY3 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

and hell I've seen them sell used games more expensive than new if you were to purchase at Wal-Mart.

I got Metroid Prime 3 for $5 used at Gamestop...

New must have been only $7-$10?
#35LatebrakerPosted 1/3/2013 11:43:46 AM
This story comes up everytime new consoles are about to be released. See PS3.
#36ElectricMolePosted 1/3/2013 11:43:55 AM
Gabe Newell doesn't see what the problem is and wonder why pc gamers aren't whining about the inability to sell unwanted games bought on Steam.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#37Soanevalcke6Posted 1/3/2013 11:45:30 AM
ElectricMole posted...
Gabe Newell doesn't see what the problem is and wonder why pc gamers aren't whining about the inability to sell unwanted games bought on Steam.

Because Steam sales make up for it.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
PSN/NNID/Steam: Soanevalcke6 // http://www.backloggery.com/soanevalcke6
#38sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 11:53:37 AM(edited)
Instead of using anti-consumer tactics that punish the people to whom you are trying to sell your game, why not use pro-consumer, anti-gamestop tactics.

A great example of this sort of system would be steam-like sales. Simply, make a "Deals" section on the eShop that sells digital games for half off (or more). Sell it digitally for prices that used sales cannot compete with.

For example: sell a generic shooter that is about to release a sequel. Sell it for $10 for the game alone or $20 for the game and all the DLC. This will spur sales of an otherwise dead game, put money in the dev's pocket, and advertise the new game.

Another example: sell a bundle of games for a low combined price. Sell generic shooter, a racing sim, a platform game and strategy game for $30 together. It becomes a deal that is almost too good to pass up. It puts gives money to the devs, rewards the consumer, and possibly introduces the consumer to unfamiliar IPs.

I personally like Steam's sales in which you buy 4+ copies of the same game for a low price. Get the game and share it with your friends. Introduces people to IPs while putting money in the dev's pocket.

These sorts of systems would reward the consumer with a good deal, punish Gamestop for their used sales, and advertise the coming game increasing sales.

Its a win for the consumer and the developer.

Unlike banning used games which is a shortsighted win for the dev and console company at the cost of hurting the people you want to buy your games.
#39EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/3/2013 11:50:52 AM
Soanevalcke6 posted...
ElectricMole posted...

Because Steam sales make up for it.

This. Steam provides sales that can't be found anywhere else or it's hard to find. Console games are expensive as it is.
---
Nintendo Network ID (Wii U): EnVy_CaLiBeR (PSN): EnVy_CaLIBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#40Robertn__07Posted 1/3/2013 11:56:03 AM
I might see this working only if they release digital copies of all games as well.

No one really knows what type of media Sony/MS are even going to use for sure. They might switch to all digital which will hurt sales from people without internet connections, but at the same time will make all sales from games go straight to them.

Unless we've got someone on the inside we can only speculate about what Sony/MS is thinking.