These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#51incornetiumPosted 1/3/2013 11:15:56 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It only effects poor people.

Or people who want to play older video games.

Oh, you want to play Halo 5 and it's 2020? Too bad - there aren't any new copies, unless you're willing to pay $150 for one on the internet.

This is true since many rare games do accumulate value, but by that time it is likely any game will be able to purchased digitally so the only people wanting to get a hard copy need to pay for the nostalgia. Hell I buy PS classic games on PSN all the time and am extremely grateful it is only 5-6 dollars instead of the 25 dollar cost on eBay.

Someone made a reference to if this were to happen with Levi Jeans. I can promise you if there was a store called JeanStop that made millions of dollars off of selling their jeans, they would try to control their product just as well.
#52IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 11:18:24 AM
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Sure but you won't find console games at the same prices that you can find PC games online.

How weird! It's almost as if they have a working business model that console gaming can't compete with...!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#53geneticsftwPosted 1/3/2013 11:20:30 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Sure but you won't find console games at the same prices that you can find PC games online.

How weird! It's almost as if they have a working business model that console gaming can't compete with...!

And yet new consoles keep coming.
#54SebVettelPosted 1/3/2013 11:20:33 AM
Unless every single game released is available to download digitally, this would not be good, especially once a console's lifespan is over and publishers aren't making new copies of games.
#55shadowx9471Posted 1/3/2013 11:21:16 AM
As someone who goes to alot of fighting game tournaments, those will become a nightmare if systems need unlock codes to be able to play games.

Beyond that, It'll stop game borrowing. My friend bought a new game I want to try out? Outta luck.

What I see happening is Gamestop make deals with game companies to include unlock clodes for their games, while mom and pop stores can no longer sell used games.
---
GT/PSN: shadowx9471
#56PezofpowerPosted 1/3/2013 11:21:28 AM
I'm mostly fine with it. People are still butt hurt that they don't own games they buy and only the licenses to play them. If anything it'll be good for the industry because the adverse affect on sales due to hefty price tags will force smarter monetary decisions meaning higher quality games so that they will in fact sell. The wii is a prime example of this, it was littered with $20 shovelware and 15$ used shovelware. if people HAVE to pay $50 that means less shovelware money.

Also game stop needs to die, period Developers deserve every cent they get. If that's not the case then it's because the game wasn't worth buying. (Here's the mostly part) people will argue that 'there should ALWAYS BE A USED MARKET." I'm kinda fine with that, but game stop facilitates used game sales and never turns people away which is the problem.
---
PSN:Pezofpower
#57IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 11:22:25 AM
shadowx9471 posted...
As someone who goes to alot of fighting game tournaments, those will become a nightmare if systems need unlock codes to be able to play games.

Beyond that, It'll stop game borrowing. My friend bought a new game I want to try out? Outta luck.

What I see happening is Gamestop make deals with game companies to include unlock clodes for their games, while mom and pop stores can no longer sell used games.

Official tournaments will most likely get special disks that can override this.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#58EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/3/2013 11:22:39 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...

Who's debating that consoles have better prices on games though? That's not debatable.
---
Nintendo Network ID (Wii U): EnVy_CaLiBeR (PSN): EnVy_CaLIBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#59justdontaskPosted 1/3/2013 11:24:03 AM
so... system X only plays new games... what if, i buy game X on day one, put it in the system, play it, beat it, go to another game... then come back to game X next year... the system cant play it because its been used?

now one of your examples is that somebody sells their game, then 10 years later wants to play it, but cant because there are no new copies... the player is at fault for selling it, fully knowing that a used copy wont work on their system...

i dont see any good coming from this... people start selling used games and saying theyre new, thus getting more money from this and scamming the buyers... after all, if only new games work, the price goes up a good bit since less of the product works, and demand for a working product goes up...

terrible idea all around... if my first point turns out true, there is no good from this... if not, then i wont care about it because i dont buy used games...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#60PezofpowerPosted 1/3/2013 11:27:13 AM
SebVettel posted...
Unless every single game released is available to download digitally, this would not be good, especially once a console's lifespan is over and publishers aren't making new copies of games.

That's where vgs are headed, soon there will be no physical media such as discs for gaming, it'll all be DLC which is great because there's no more discs to ruin.
---
PSN:Pezofpower