These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#61Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 11:27:40 AM
Baha05 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's not that big of a difference since most used game sales are from places like Gamestop, wow.. a $2-$5 savings on a used game..

and hell I've seen them sell used games more expensive than new if you were to purchase at Wal-Mart.

You're forgetting that prices over time tend to drop for used games.

So does new games, at the same time most of the time
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#62Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 11:28:20 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It only effects poor people.

Or people who want to play older video games.

Oh, you want to play Halo 5 and it's 2020? Too bad - there aren't any new copies, unless you're willing to pay $150 for one on the internet.

You'd be paying that if it were new.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#63sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 11:33:59 AM(edited)
incornetium posted...
Someone made a reference to if this were to happen with Levi Jeans. I can promise you if there was a store called JeanStop that made millions of dollars off of selling their jeans, they would try to control their product just as well.

There are lots of multimillion dollar used clothes stores.

Goodwill
Plato's Closet

In fact, here's an article about how much used clothing stores are growing.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/article/S-A-sees-growth-of-used-clothing-stores-3929474.php
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1627026,00.html

Pezofpower posted...
I'm mostly fine with it. People are still butt hurt that they don't own games they buy and only the licenses to play them. If anything it'll be good for the industry because the adverse affect on sales due to hefty price tags will force smarter monetary decisions meaning higher quality games so that they will in fact sell. The wii is a prime example of this, it was littered with $20 shovelware and 15$ used shovelware. if people HAVE to pay $50 that means less shovelware money.

Unfortunately it will probably have the opposite effect. Those $15-20 games will look really good to moms and dads that can no longer trade their kid's old games to offset the cost of the $60 AAA game.

Also, it could be the final nail in the coffin for niche titles that already have much smaller audiences and need every sale that they can get.

Besides, when you buy a physical game you are purchasing a physical product. This is not a license. When you purchase a digital game you are purchasing a license, hence no physical product.
#64geneticsftwPosted 1/3/2013 11:28:44 AM
Pezofpower posted...
SebVettel posted...
Unless every single game released is available to download digitally, this would not be good, especially once a console's lifespan is over and publishers aren't making new copies of games.

That's where vgs are headed, soon there will be no physical media such as discs for gaming, it'll all be DLC which is great because there's no more discs to ruin.

I believe movies are heading the same way, its possible the bluray is that last form of physical media.
#65hotgamerPosted 1/3/2013 11:29:23 AM
Don't worry, since anything is heading toward being digital. They don't have to try blocking used games, since being if things become digital, it will happen to anything.

PS4/X720/WiiU won't go that route, but be prepared for their successor to be fully digital.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#66Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 11:29:42 AM
TediousMatt posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

What if the game is sold out or it only had a small shipment?
I have a bunch of games I needed to buy used because I could not find a new copy.
I've also bought used games sold as new, seeing that the cartridge had a save file on them (the box was sealed).

I've also lost count of the amount of new PC games I've bought which had an already used key code.
I really don't want those issues on my consoles, having to deal with them on PC is more than enough.

When the hell does software sell out? Maybe a Gamestop, but you have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, tons of places to buy the game. I have not ever had trouble finding a game within the past 10 years
---
#67IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 11:32:13 AM
It's natural progression that physical media dies off, PC gaming has already gotten to that point.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#68sonic777Posted 1/3/2013 11:33:39 AM
Reflex-Arc posted...
I think the best course of action is one that's already in place for many games, the online access registration key. Every game would come with an individual key in in the retail box to access online features/gameplay. If that game is traded in and someone buys it used, and wants to play online, they have to purchase a new key from the publisher. Not interested in playing online? No key needed. Don't have internet access to buy a new key? You wouldn't be playing online anyway.

It's win/win. Gamers still get to play used games, and the publisher gets a cut of the used market. Everyone is happy.

Quoting this because this is exactly how it's going to be used.

It eliminates the need for individual developers to block online access, the system does that instead.

Probably saves the developers money in end (but I'm not sure.)

And, they still get a cut of the used game sales due to having to purchase an online key (which is fine, since it's not forced and there are online trials to see if you like the community.)
#69IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 11:35:59 AM
The codes are bad because they expire, this is better because it won't.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#70sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 11:36:02 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
TediousMatt posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

What if the game is sold out or it only had a small shipment?
I have a bunch of games I needed to buy used because I could not find a new copy.
I've also bought used games sold as new, seeing that the cartridge had a save file on them (the box was sealed).

I've also lost count of the amount of new PC games I've bought which had an already used key code.
I really don't want those issues on my consoles, having to deal with them on PC is more than enough.

When the hell does software sell out? Maybe a Gamestop, but you have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, tons of places to buy the game. I have not ever had trouble finding a game within the past 10 years

I've seen several niche games sell out because of small shipments. It took me literally 10 stores to find Tales of the Abyss for 3DS when I bought it.