These rumors of the PS4 and XBox720 not running used games. (Wall of text)

#71Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 12:36:23 PM
hotgamer posted...
Don't worry, since anything is heading toward being digital. They don't have to try blocking used games, since being if things become digital, it will happen to anything.

PS4/X720/WiiU won't go that route, but be prepared for their successor to be fully digital.

This, the companies see the success Steam has and how many people purchase digital games for the PC now. It's just a matter of time before that happens. People QQ now but they obviously don't PC game, because if they did they would see how great the prices are.

I picked up Duke Nukem Forever, Borderlands GOTY, Saints Row 3 and Darkness 2 for $10.60, for all 4.

Let's add that up if I bought them used with scratches from Gamestop.

Darkness 2: 19.99 used
Borderlands GOTY: 27.99 used
Duke Nukem 4.99 LOL, Horrible game but came with the bundle.
Saints Row 3: 34.99

Almost $88 for that used, I saved a total of $76 and some change by buying it digital.

I say take it all digital, I play games. I don't want a bunch of old ass games taking up space in my house.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#72IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 12:36:54 PM
Yep, another plus for DD is that the niche games don't sell out.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#73Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 12:38:39 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

Yep, and it'll be even cheaper and if something happens to it. You simply download it again vs a physical copy, if you lose it. It's gone forever.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#74IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 12:46:10 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Icecreamdunwich posted...

Yep, and it'll be even cheaper and if something happens to it. You simply download it again vs a physical copy, if you lose it. It's gone forever.

Yep, physical copies are easily the worst.
---
#75saleamaPosted 1/3/2013 12:52:00 PM
Just a silly thought. What if they produced these "one system only" games and then charged less money for them...or more for an unrestricted copy? There is plenty of precident for that...all you can eat buffets, longer subscriptions to magazines, online sites etc.., If you are a collector, than it should not bother you to not be able to trade or buy used and it would off set the cost of a new key if you did buy a used restricted game. Also, it would leave the market open for rentals. Unless of course, Redbox and Gamefly had games with a master code number.
#76DynheartPosted 1/3/2013 12:58:13 PM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
TediousMatt posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It only effects poor people.

What if the game is sold out or it only had a small shipment?
I have a bunch of games I needed to buy used because I could not find a new copy.
I've also bought used games sold as new, seeing that the cartridge had a save file on them (the box was sealed).

I've also lost count of the amount of new PC games I've bought which had an already used key code.
I really don't want those issues on my consoles, having to deal with them on PC is more than enough.

When the hell does software sell out? Maybe a Gamestop, but you have Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, tons of places to buy the game. I have not ever had trouble finding a game within the past 10 years

Software sells out/limit shipment. All of it. Now, some games are in production much longer than others due to demand. But they are put on halt eventually.

A lot of people have a backlog, though. So they just don't go out and buy everything day 1; they wait a year, maybe two. Most games are out of production 3-6 months (sometimes sooner) after release. The huge AAA titles like Halo and COD go on for much longer. But those end as well, and you have no choice but to rely on the re-sale market to get the game (or wait for the game of the year editions...these get limited production).

Take that away? You are shoehorning people into buying a game in a limited window...unless everything goes digital. But most gamer's like to have that physical copy, especially for a console.

Your past 10 year statement? Those are most likely sealed copies from other people,or re releases (limited time only). Games in production for 10 years? Not a chance.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#77Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/3/2013 12:57:25 PM
Dynheart posted...

Take that away? You are shoehorning people into buying a game in a limited window...unless everything goes digital. But most gamer's like to have that physical copy, especially for a console.

That's just old behavior, the physical copy thing. I use to be like that until I got older and decided it was a waste of space to keep all of that stuff, kind of like people who collect action figures, they eventually grow out of it.
---
#78DemonDog666Posted 1/3/2013 12:58:51 PM
I really don't think it's actually going to be used on a video game system, and if it is I think initial sales would be so poor that it get removed rather quickly and disabled in existing models.
#79IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/3/2013 12:59:54 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Dynheart posted...

That's just old behavior, the physical copy thing. I use to be like that until I got older and decided it was a waste of space to keep all of that stuff, kind of like people who collect action figures, they eventually grow out of it.

Yep, these 'I like to look at the games on my shelf' guys are almost always 15-20 years old. Grown adults understand the convenience of DD
---
#80PezofpowerPosted 1/3/2013 1:01:20 PM
sejan12 posted...
incornetium posted...
Someone made a reference to if this were to happen with Levi Jeans. I can promise you if there was a store called JeanStop that made millions of dollars off of selling their jeans, they would try to control their product just as well.

Unfortunately it will probably have the opposite effect. Those $15-20 games will look really good to moms and dads that can no longer trade their kid's old games to offset the cost of the $60 AAA game.

Also, it could be the final nail in the coffin for niche titles that already have much smaller audiences and need every sale that they can get.

Besides, when you buy a physical game you are purchasing a physical product. This is not a license. When you purchase a digital game you are purchasing a license, hence no physical product.

Only Moms and dads buying games for their kids is a relatively small fraction of the market. You're also overlooking the fact that kids grow up and buy their own games. This will ultimately seperate causlas from hardcore and I'm completely ok with it. Games have been in a ezpz slump since wow and cod.
---
PSN:Pezofpower