New Super Mario Bros. U has really made me appreciate great design

#1gamewhooper181Posted 1/3/2013 10:31:34 AM
Deservedly knock on the lack of original art style and music, but also deservedly praise a game that exhudes quality game design in nearly all respects.

-This is a game that you can play solo by yourself.

-Or have a blast with friends instead.

-It's also a game chock full of levels that you can beat either by running through them, or carefully, casually, taking your time as a new player might do.

-When you're done with the single player story mode, the Challenges, several which are based off of parts in the main game, offers a new twist on the classic gameplay.

-Or when you've truly mastered the mechanics, maybe you can try to do a Super Play, like the videos that Nintendo provides.

It's just amazing how one can traverse through a game like NSMBU in several different ways, no one of them being any worse than the last.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 1/3/2013 11:45:01 AM
And yet it still doesn't play as smoothly as the classics. :(
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#3lt519Posted 1/3/2013 1:30:28 PM
My thoughts exactly, people don't appreciate the level design in 2-D Mario games enough. I don't think any other company has come close in level design or control. But the art-style and music could definitely use some work all around (except the painted levels which were fantastic).

Had a blast playing a bunch of the boost mode challenges last night with 2 people, another under appreciated mode NSMBU.
#4chris121691Posted 1/3/2013 1:34:15 PM
Can you play this game online with other people?
Or just couch co-op
---
GT= Baiia Caiia
#5Banjo2553Posted 1/3/2013 1:36:05 PM(edited)
chris121691 posted...
Or just couch co-op

Just local.

So it's not really perfect yet. I do think it's the best NSMB game though.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#6Baha05Posted 1/3/2013 1:36:43 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Actually I think it plays better then the classics.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#7gamewhooper181(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2013 1:37:45 PM
chris121691 posted...
Or just couch co-op

Local multi-player only.

I'm not sure how a game like this would be online. LittleBigPlanet 2 lagged a ton for me and that game doesn't even require platforming precision.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#8MotiJrPosted 1/3/2013 1:37:55 PM
My thoughts exactly, people don't appreciate the level design in 2-D Mario games enough. I don't think any other company has come close in level design or control. But the art-style and music could definitely use some work all around (except the painted levels which were fantastic).

Had a blast playing a bunch of the boost mode challenges last night with 2 people, another under appreciated mode NSMBU.

Painted levels were beautiful. I like the art style though. Simple but still looks great.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#9SupaShigPosted 1/3/2013 1:47:40 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

wut..? uh..it plays as well as a 2d platformer possibly can. I understand having complaints about the game but not this..
#10derekfishbowlPosted 1/3/2013 1:48:19 PM
I bet if this game had all new music it wouldn't be criticized nearly as much. Having the same music as NSMBWii makes it feel like an expansion pack to that game... which is not necessarily a bad thing since that was a great game.

The level design of NSMBU is solid and there is a lot of content. If this is considered a rehash, then sign me up for more rehashes!
---
Sony's E3 2013 megaton (courtesy of Megaman Omega):
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=350248936_strengthmitten_122_82lo.jpg