New Super Mario Bros. U has really made me appreciate great design

#31Sailor GoonPosted 1/3/2013 4:35:13 PM
Banjo2553 posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
None of these have anything to do with design

They have everything to do with design. Being able to play levels your own way (and each way is perfectly viable) is a testament to good level design. Whether you want to be skillful with the Acorn Suit and not land (a number of levels are designed so that you can do this), whether you want to take your time, or whether you want to speed through it, all can be possible. Not to mention that there's tons of hidden 1-UP tricks in the majority of levels that you can find if you put your mind to it.

That isnt design at all. That's just a playstyle. And im sorry, but hiding 1-Ups in a game is not indicitive of good game design. The TC quite frankly doesnt know what design even means.
---
As told to me by Gamefaqs admin: They hire 17 year olds as moderators!
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#32lt519Posted 1/3/2013 4:42:27 PM
Sailor Goon posted...
Banjo2553 posted...
Sailor Goon posted...
None of these have anything to do with design

They have everything to do with design. Being able to play levels your own way (and each way is perfectly viable) is a testament to good level design. Whether you want to be skillful with the Acorn Suit and not land (a number of levels are designed so that you can do this), whether you want to take your time, or whether you want to speed through it, all can be possible. Not to mention that there's tons of hidden 1-UP tricks in the majority of levels that you can find if you put your mind to it.

That isnt design at all. That's just a playstyle. And im sorry, but hiding 1-Ups in a game is not indicitive of good game design. The TC quite frankly doesnt know what design even means.

Not everything he listed was design, but level layouts and paths are design. Look at a corridor shooter and then a game like Far Cry or Crysis, the different designs are immediately apparent. One game forces you to play a certain way and the other lets you decide how you want to approach a problem. That is certainly a DESIGN choice the developers made in a meeting room one day.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/design

I'd say they are designing the level structures to be played in multiple ways, which is a design choice.
#33T_TanggPosted 1/4/2013 2:40:26 AM(edited)
People who don't want and complain about co-op online most likely don't have real friends or family to play online with so you will never understand.
---
NNID: T_Tang PSN: T_Tang GT: ElateDuckling0
Vita: AsKsQsJsTs 3DS: 0387-9826-5126
#34diving_devil46Posted 1/4/2013 3:00:15 AM
After NSMB 2's level of *alright-ness* I was skeptical when my partner wanted to go out and get NSMBU.

But it is definitely the most forward out of the new series.

Something that was completely overlooked in reviews etc is the use of baby Yoshi's. These basically replace Yoshi of old and allows Ninty to design new power-ups.

Things like the fact that they can be carried from level-to-level (much the same that you could keep Yoshi in World).

Now I know the babies aren't new themselves, but the mechanics are very different here.

The map feels better, the levels are nice and long and the game flows really quite well.

This is also some of the BEST ghost house design in a long time, which is great to see.

Overall it's basically hardened reviewers/gamers (bored of Mario, which is fair enough I guess) or people that haven't played it that seem to dislike it or just think it's okay.

Ninty could have done more, but they always adjust very slowly, look how long it has taken Pokemon / Animal Crossing etc to even remotely evolve. I think the next one, if not rushed, will be fantastic.
#35TheBonfiniPosted 1/4/2013 3:03:44 AM
They need to design some online multiplayer for everyone who has mastered it.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#36DTY3Posted 1/4/2013 4:26:12 AM
T_Tangg posted...
My biggest complaint for this game is the lack of online co-op. It's possible. Nintendo is just not good with online yet.

Lazy too. Didn't even want to add new music. At least add the classic music from Super Mario Bros 1-3 or something. Or the ability to use custom music so I can do it myself like in XBox360 games.

Besides that it is a solid platformer and great for local co-op.

I cant see why everyone keeps saying they didnt add new music.

The damn MAIN THEME is new and it's remixes are new for one.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#37nonexistingheroPosted 1/4/2013 5:26:35 AM
maximumbarmage posted...
Rayman Origins does all of these things as well, except I didn't have to waste money on a console with no other games to play that game.

Except Rayman Origins didn't do most of these things at all. It's a game with very ng 'tight' level design without really being able to set your own pace or path. Instead, you follow a set path the developers intended you to follow, with a few branches for secrets, but those branches have set paths as well. It feels like an on-rails platformer and a game like Rayman Jungle Run only supports that statement (and I was saying it before they even announced Jungle Run).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#38Faceman_Posted 1/4/2013 5:36:46 AM
My only complaint about NSMB is that they recycle more old music than they make new. I love the original main and underground themes, but I hate how often I have to hear them remixed. I want something even better and catchier than them. The Luigi's Mansion theme is a great example of a great modern Nintendo song. I still whistle it to this day!
#39trenkenPosted 1/4/2013 5:44:14 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
And yet it still doesn't play as smoothly as the classics. :(

Well it plays smoothly, maybe even smoother than the old games. But it sucks and isnt close to as good as Miyamoto's Mario games. So I get what you're saying anyway.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#40gamewhooper181(Topic Creator)Posted 1/4/2013 8:32:30 AM
trenken posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
And yet it still doesn't play as smoothly as the classics. :(

Well it plays smoothly, maybe even smoother than the old games. But it sucks and isnt close to as good as Miyamoto's Mario games. So I get what you're saying anyway.

It hardly sucks. Most people consider NSMBU to be the second or third best in the series, and a very spiritual successor to Super Mario World.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper