Did the Wii win last gen in terms of best exclusives?

#271TalesRevenantPosted 1/5/2013 11:46:26 PM
Not even close. I'll admit, the Wii had some of my favorite games this gen, but it did not win in terms of exclusives. That prize easily goes to the PS3.

The top 5. Best of the best for Wii. No ports. No order.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles

Almost all top 5s will look like this for Wii. Wii has tons of good exclusives, but these are the best.

The top 5. Best of the best for PS3. No ports. No order.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Valkyria Chronicles

Unlike Wii, PS3 has so many it's hard to narrow down a list. Everyone's will be different.

Not to mention, PS3 isn't even done pumping out games. It still has a few years or so, which means more exclusives.

This topic is dumb.
#272Someguy_13Posted 1/5/2013 11:48:22 PM
It has less exclusives, but the few it does have are better.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#273ADHDguitarPosted 1/5/2013 11:54:17 PM
Wii and PS3 are both good choices.

Still not sure how people managed to pick Xbox.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#274TerotrousPosted 1/7/2013 8:31:45 AM
sonicfanaticjtb posted...
What exactly is 999, though?

It's a text adventure game, like Phoenix Wright. The concept is that a group of people are abducted and forced to play a strange game where they have to solve puzzles and make moral choices that can affect who lives and who dies. Unlike most other adventure games, there are numerous endings depending on how you play the game.

Also, you're probably right, there... I'd probably have listed it as simply, "pokémon main series" though since they're all top games.

That's one way to address it. If you were trying to create a more generalized list that's probably what you'd do.

Also, what 'bout Kirby Super Star Ultra? It's a remake, so...

What counts as "exclusive" is always somewhat ambiguous when it comes to ports with new content and remakes. Super Star Ultra is on the very lowest end of what you could potentially consider a unique game, as it has only about 15% new content, the rest is all pulled straight from the SNES game. Something like Final Fantasy IV is much more arguable as the entire game has been redone and bares limited resemblance to the original.

I think the logic I would use to determine eligibility is "does playing one version of the game diminish the enjoyment of playing the other?" In Kirby's case, it clearly does - if you have the DS version, there's no real reason to get the SNES one, and if you have the SNES one, you've already played most of the game already. In the case of FF4, it doesn't really, since the gameplay, graphics, and story have all changed so significantly, it may actually even enhance the experience to have played both.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#275TerotrousPosted 1/7/2013 8:32:27 AM
TalesRevanant posted...
Not even close. I'll admit, the Wii had some of my favorite games this gen, but it did not win in terms of exclusives. That prize easily goes to the PS3.

The top 5. Best of the best for Wii. No ports. No order.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles

Almost all top 5s will look like this for Wii. Wii has tons of good exclusives, but these are the best.

Not really. Brawl and Skyward Sword are somewhat controversial, and not everyone rates TLS quite that high. Excitebots, Kirby RTD, NSMB Wii, DKCR, and Sin and Punishment 2 are also very common picks for top 5.

Also, there's no doubt that some of this has to do with the Wii library not being explored enough. The amount of people who have even played stuff like Shaun White Road Trip and Elebits is very low, so there's currently no way they can show up in these lists even if they've got the quality for it.

The top 5. Best of the best for PS3. No ports. No order.

Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted 2
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Valkyria Chronicles

Unlike Wii, PS3 has so many it's hard to narrow down a list. Everyone's will be different.

Not to mention, PS3 isn't even done pumping out games. It still has a few years or so, which means more exclusives.

I also don't really agree with that. MGS4 and Uncharted 2 are on virtually every list of best PS3 exclusives, and Valkyria is on most of them. The PS3 lists tend to be less varied overall, and most people who troll the Wii consider this a strength of PS3 ("PS3's AAA exclusives are so good there's no need to play something like Shaun White").

Also, I don't think "Top 5/10 variety" is a good argument for library quality anyway, exclusives or otherwise. SNES lists, for example, have very little variety in top 10s. SMW, DKC2, Chrono Trigger, FF6, LttP, and Super Metroid are on like every single one. Yet most people still consider the SNES library to be very strong.

The point about how PS3 is still getting games is a worthwhile one, but at the same time, it's also now losing some of its exclusives to Vita and (likely) Wii U. Consider Okami, which at one point was one of PS2's most valuable exclusives, but now is on many other systems. What games are exclusive is in a constant state of flux.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery