Why is Wii U being called Last Gen?

#61NewavePosted 1/5/2013 10:30:53 AM
Foppe posted...
So where do you place Wii?
In the same generation as the Gamecube of the same generation as Wii U?
How many companies have released two consoles in one generation?
Atari, because it's more simple to count the 5200 as the second generation instead of putting it alone in the third generation before the big videogame crash.

Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox and Wii are in the same generation.
Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U are in the same generation.
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#62ColorfulColorsPosted 1/5/2013 10:41:57 AM
HeaderHog posted...
CapnStanky posted...
Because it's last gen.

Just... Because?

*facepalm*

CapnStanky is a gigantic Sony Pony who NEVER shuts up about how much the Wii U sucks, even on the Vita boards he does it.
---
Go on the Wii U board and find a topic where the word fanboy isn't used. Its impossible.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed~SuperShyGuy9000
#63RyuuHou25Posted 1/5/2013 10:43:47 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
People think that it's not next-gen because it is doing what the PS3 and 360 are able to do right now, which is precisely what makes it next gen. It's doing it now, at launch. Something the PS3/360 could not do at their launch.

Uhhhhhh.....

So you're saying because it can run games that 7 year old consoles can run, that makes it next gen?

Oxymoron much?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#64ColorfulColorsPosted 1/5/2013 10:46:21 AM
Newave posted...
Foppe posted...
So where do you place Wii?
In the same generation as the Gamecube of the same generation as Wii U?
How many companies have released two consoles in one generation?
Atari, because it's more simple to count the 5200 as the second generation instead of putting it alone in the third generation before the big videogame crash.

Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, Xbox and Wii are in the same generation.
Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U are in the same generation.

When the new Xbox and Playstation come out, and they're sitting right next to the Wii U, this will happen:
WOW! LOOK AT THAT!
XBOX 720! NEXT GENERATION!
PS4! NEXT GENERATION! WOW!
What about this Wii U?
EWWW GROSS, LAST GEN STUFF SUCKS EWWW!

I don't see that happening.
Also, please learn Generations are made by time, not power.
---
Go on the Wii U board and find a topic where the word fanboy isn't used. Its impossible.
#65endoflevelbossPosted 1/5/2013 10:46:21 AM
Wii U is current gen. Xbox 360 and PS3 are last gen.
#66ColorfulColorsPosted 1/5/2013 10:48:03 AM
RyuuHou25 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
People think that it's not next-gen because it is doing what the PS3 and 360 are able to do right now, which is precisely what makes it next gen. It's doing it now, at launch. Something the PS3/360 could not do at their launch.

Uhhhhhh.....

So you're saying because it can run games that 7 year old consoles can run, that makes it next gen?

Oxymoron much?

He's saying that the Wii U is running games that the PS3 and 360 couldn't do at launch. It can only go up from here.

Also, nice sig.
---
#67OmegaChrisPosted 1/5/2013 11:41:31 AM
Okay so "gen" is referencing generation. Which has to do with TIME. it's just the set of time that consoles are released. First set released. Then the next. Like your parents having you. It's not what you look like or something. You were born after your parents.

So wii u and ps4 and 720 will be "born" very close to each other. Hence they are the same generation.

Why do people have such a hard time with this?
---
Nintendo Ntwk & PSN ID: Chrismiyster
3DS Friend Code: 4897-7237-1836
#68Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/5/2013 3:22:26 PM
softballumpire posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It's a next generation Nintendo console, what people are referring to is, from a technical standpoint, it's not next generation based on that.

"The Wii U (pron.: /ˌwiː ˈjuː/) is a video game console from Nintendo and the successor to the Wii.[8] The system was released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30, 2012 in Europe and Australia and December 8, 2012 in Japan.[9][10] It is the first entry in the eighth generation of video game home consoles.[11][12][13]"

yes it is.
"first eight generation of video game home console." even if they put a nes out it sitll be consider first for the eight generation

But what I'm saying, hardware wise it's not next generation hardware. The console, the plastic surrounding it and the name is next generation but the actual hardware is so damn dated.

That's what people refer to when they say it's not next generation because simply it's not but the console is in fact next generation, just not the hardware inside.

Simply put, when the Xbox 720 and PS4 release, the Wii U will not stand a chance against them

but it's in the same generation as they are, just it's hardware is not.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#69jairusmonillasPosted 1/5/2013 3:32:30 PM
its not next generation if its not capable of today's standards.
#70Cranman1982Posted 1/5/2013 3:36:00 PM
Generation is an ambiguous term that people will classify however they like to either support or destroy another's point of view.

However, from my stand point the Wii U is only next gen for nintendo.

From a spec standpoint the Wii U isn't an improvement from what we've already seen.
From a gameplay standpoint it is not a revolution either. Its touch pad gaming; people have been doing that on their phones for years.

So the problem is that yes it is the next nintendo system so that makes it next gen to nintendo loyalists. But from a consumer standpoint there is nothing that demonstrates it being new or innovative (which is what people typically associate with "generations" in electronics)....

I'm not anti nintendo; just saying. I want a Wii u, but not at its current price. I love nintendo games though.