To those that say next Gen starts here

#11FoppePosted 1/5/2013 3:53:39 AM
So why didn't NeoGeo start a new generation?
Having a arcade system in your home was pretty revolutionary back then.
Or Xbox?
It was more powerful than anything else and Xbox Live was revolutionary for how to play console games online.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#12geneticsftwPosted 1/5/2013 3:57:18 AM
Foppe posted...
So why didn't NeoGeo start a new generation?
Having a arcade system in your home was pretty revolutionary back then.
Or Xbox?
It was more powerful than anything else and Xbox Live was revolutionary for how to play console games online.

I hope you realize talking to some of these posters is like clapping with one hand.
---
Sweet
#13DynheartPosted 1/5/2013 3:57:21 AM
Foppe posted...
People had no problems with generations before Wii was released.

Obsessed with graphics. That graphical leap was unparalleled (technology went through a lot of changes between the 6th gen and the 7th gen). When people saw the Wii? They were no longer used to Nintendo bringing something new to the table (ALL of their consoles except the GC). Instead, people wanted them to stay on the GC route: Power.

Would this have been an issue if Nintendo's predictions were spot on, like they usually are? HD not the norm? Online gaming not the norm?

Either way you slice it: It is what it is.

Now they have a whole other set of predictions. Nintendo is uncanny with their predictions. They only really failed with the Wii, but they still got one correct. Gamer's were ready for something new. It's pushing 100 million consoles. We'll see if they are correct in their predictions with the Wii U. Or if horsepower finally wins (so far...it hasn't..maybe this generation will be the ticket). Because I'll tell you...horsepower didn't win it for Nintendo.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#14Chaos_KreaturePosted 1/5/2013 4:11:54 AM
xerofyre0 posted...
generation is just the release of a new console from a console maker. this is the first console of the new generation, its kind of a fact and not open to interpretation. power, system specs have nothing to do with the ''next gen''.
thats just a misnomer because people have been using it as an adjective when game looks graphically more impressive than current gen tech. people are still stuck in box by thinking that graphics are the only advancements necessary for game systems.

This. Why the hell is this so hard for you people to understand?
---
MHT: Zyzax MH3U: Hopefully the same, if not for some reason, TriforceKnight
#15FoppePosted 1/5/2013 4:24:26 AM
Chaos_Kreature posted...
xerofyre0 posted...
generation is just the release of a new console from a console maker. this is the first console of the new generation, its kind of a fact and not open to interpretation. power, system specs have nothing to do with the ''next gen''.
thats just a misnomer because people have been using it as an adjective when game looks graphically more impressive than current gen tech. people are still stuck in box by thinking that graphics are the only advancements necessary for game systems.

This. Why the hell is this so hard for you people to understand?

Because it's logical.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#16its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 4:31:36 AM
I think actually giving the generations numbers is silly. I mean PS3 and Xbox360 are regarded as 7th gen and are getting some real big releases this year so they are hardly at the end of their life just yet at the same time we have the so called 8th gen with 3DS, Vita and WiiU and to add to the confusion further, half the WiiU's library is made up of ports from 7th gen console's which really are not showing the WiiU to be anymore advanced at all (apart from the extra screen which I mentioned in an earlier post). So 7th or 8th gen out the window I think at the moment all of the above should be regarded as current until developers stop releasing worth while games for the relevant format. In other words I can't see see how WiiU can be regarded as next gen from the PS3 / Xbox360 perspective until it is running games that would be not feasible on those formats.
#17FoppePosted 1/5/2013 4:41:42 AM
Generations have always overlapped in the past.
Just because the first nextgen console is released does not mean that everybody drops whatever they are working on and only make games for that console.
Just see how long Sony kept the PS2 alive after they released the PS3.
And handhelds have always been running their own race.
And over half of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 launch titles had already been released on other hardware so it's not strange to see PS3/360 ports on Wii U.
---
#18GencoilPosted 1/5/2013 4:48:55 AM
The way I see it, generations aren't simply about improved graphics or processing. There could be other factors involved. In this case it's the controller which introduces a user interaction not possible with previous consoles.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#19its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 1/5/2013 4:54:04 AM(edited)
Foppe posted...
Generations have always overlapped in the past.
Just because the first nextgen console is released does not mean that everybody drops whatever they are working on and only make games for that console.
Just see how long Sony kept the PS2 alive after they released the PS3.
And handhelds have always been running their own race.
And over half of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 launch titles had already been released on other hardware so it's not strange to see PS3/360 ports on Wii U.

Yes but when you saw Xbox 360 and PS3 first running you could see even with the release games they were doing stuff more advanced than the previous gen, even ports ran smoother and were higher res than the previous gen equivalents. This time we have WiiU simply matching current gen not even stepping up the frame rate or running the games in proper 1080p. No they are running just the same or worst than all the comparison's with the Xbox360 version (the oldest of this gen). This does not say next gen or 8th gen or whatever you want to call it.
#20triple sPosted 1/5/2013 4:53:08 AM
To me, generations in consoles are when most games can be played with similar results between all of the competing consoles. This is exactly why I feel that the original Wii felt a gen behind because it couldn't handle 99% of multiplatform games anywhere near as good as PS3 or 360. Now here comes to Wii U, yes technically you can say it's the start of a new generation but it sure as hell doesn't feel that way when the games are being played mainly on the same level as PS3 and 360 games. Let's say the new 360 hits this year and offers a nice jump in graphics(lets be honest, it's not that hard or expensive to do....it's 7 year old tech they're running against) and then the PS4 hits and has similar performance to the newest Xbox....where does that put the Wii U? Pretty much at the same place the Wii was. Yeah, the gimmick motion controls helped push sales considerably within the first few years but the game to system ratio was way lower than the 360 and PS3 simply because the Wii could not handle games at the same level as the competition and it didn't get a lot of the big name multiplatform titles because of this(Skyrim, GTAIV, Saints Row The Third). So yes, Wii feels like a generation behind and yes the Wii U might be the "start" of the new generation but when the competition release their consoles...the Wii U will feel like a generation behind as well. I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to get the concept on why some people don't really feel like this is the start of a new generation.
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09