New Nvidia handheld will allegedly be able to stream PC games to a second screen

#21CyclicalPosted 1/6/2013 10:45:35 PM
Muljo Stpho posted...
So what's the count on new systems trying to enter the market at this point? There's this. There was something said about a Steam console at some point. There was... what was the one that came out a while ago... not Phantom because that was a hoax, but there was something else with a similar concept to that... OnLive? Anyway, it seems like there have been even more systems than that mentioned at some point or another but I can't remember them all. Was Apple coming up with a dedicated gaming system of some sort or was that just rumors?

edit: Ouya! I forgot about that one. Remind me, what was that one's pitch again? Something about it being targeted more at indie developers instead of large studios?

There's
eSFere
Gamestick
OUYA
Shield
Steambox

And then you have Durango and Orbis coming. It was very smart for Nintendo to release Wii U earlier because 2013 will be a bloodbath of competing gaming hardware.
#22kuwab0Posted 1/6/2013 10:46:31 PM
Jx1010 posted...
copying Nintendo, again...

You sound mad.
#23midgarPosted 1/6/2013 11:02:33 PM
I absolutely love the idea of an android based handheld with actual controls. I hate the design of this thing, though. Personally, I can't ever
see myself playing games on a cell phone or tablet extensively, but as a fan of the OS and some of it's titles, I think this is a good thing.

Then again, why can't Sony just strike a deal to run a version of android on the Vita and instantly bolster their library? Seems smarter.
---
"The key to happiness is disinterest mingled with mild contempt."
Better living through apathy. If you're into that sort of thing.
#24ToastyOnePosted 1/6/2013 11:13:46 PM
This handheld is Nvidia's revenge for Nintendo ditching their Tegra design on the 3DS.
---
AMD X2 6000+ | GTX550 Ti | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | 4GB DDR2 | AM2 Daughterboard | NEC 20WMGX2
#25Board_hunter567Posted 1/7/2013 12:07:10 AM(edited)
Streaming from the cloud or your PC is completely useless due to input lag and poor image quality. Even in their demonstrations you could see the delays in user input.

But it's a nice piece of hardware for what it is, obviously very powerful. If priced right it could be a nice companion for some gamers.
#26BuretsuPosted 1/7/2013 12:07:32 AM
It's a cute little peripheral for someone with a gaming PC who wants to sit on their couch and play a game from Steam. Too bad it'll probably cost at least $150.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#27blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 12:15:06 AM
Buretsu posted...
It's a cute little peripheral for someone with a gaming PC who wants to sit on their couch and play a game from Steam. Too bad it'll probably cost at least $150.

Portable emulator with android games as a stand alone. Can stream higher quality emulated games (wii/ps2) and pc games. For the tech in the device it'll cost more then $150, its a beast and also the screen in detachable and looks like the controller will function as a standalone controller as well. In the end this is comparing apples to oranges. This won't impact the wiiu/3ds since they're appealing to 2 different crowds. Hardly something I would call "cute" though.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#28Board_hunter567Posted 1/7/2013 12:31:28 AM(edited)
By the way, in order to steam PC games you need a Kepler based card (GTX 650 minimum).
It's honestly not that high or demanding of a requirement but it's something to keep in mind if you're hoping to stream from your PC (you'll also probably need a better router if you want minimum input lag).
#29r8mliPosted 1/7/2013 12:27:00 AM
http://shield.nvidia.com/

Read the specs and be prepared to be shocked at how no PC gamer will take this seriously. PC gamers love multiple monitors and large screens, why would a PC gamer spend another 250-400 dollars to play their high end pc games on a 5 inch 720p screen? This device is pretty much a smarter Wii U gamepad that doesn't understand its audience. Seeing that the PSV is already at 250-299 I don't see this costing less than 250-400. The Tegra 4 tech is amazing but people buy tablets as a device to do work on and surf the internet. This has a lot of things going against it.
---
Look inside the box, live outside of it.
#30blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 12:39:40 AM
r8mli posted...
http://shield.nvidia.com/

Read the specs and be prepared to be shocked at how no PC gamer will take this seriously. PC gamers love multiple monitors and large screens, why would a PC gamer spend another 250-400 dollars to play their high end pc games on a 5 inch 720p screen? This device is pretty much a smarter Wii U gamepad that doesn't understand its audience. Seeing that the PSV is already at 250-299 I don't see this costing less than 250-400. The Tegra 4 tech is amazing but people buy tablets as a device to do work on and surf the internet. This has a lot of things going against it.

Actually it does understand its audience, if it were just a portable android system with a controller it'd be different. As a pc gamer depending on this cost it does interest me. I would love to play some of my pc games ot emulated games in the comfort of my own bed. Like you said above, Pc gamers love that extra mile, the shield isn't a new platform, its essentially a pc gamer accessory. Of course me buying comes down to the actual cost and how it functions in its release stage.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler