New Nvidia handheld will allegedly be able to stream PC games to a second screen

#61blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 4:05:37 AM
Buretsu posted...
blankempathy posted...
"But I accuse you of being a fanboy, because you're using the same sort of fanboy logic that states that if I don't like something, it's because I'm a fanboy of something else. Like it's an alien concept that there exists someone who has specific preferences instead of blind brand loyalty."

Where did I state I didn't like something or blindly said "oh that sucks"?

I never said you did. That's like asking why I call a lion a cat if I've never heard it meow. I call you a fanboy because you use the same logic that fanboys use, not because you expressed blind dislike for something.

Is it so hard to not know why I called you a fanboy, I said before, you're here daily defending the wii u, which in itself isn't fanboyish unless you go to extremes, combine that in the fact that a company in the same business releases details on a new product only to have the same person say stuff like

"It's a cute little peripheral for someone with a gaming PC who wants to sit on their couch and play a game from Steam. Too bad it'll probably cost at least $150."
which is overly negative
also

"I said it in the topic on the 3DS board, I'll say it here:

It's a crappy tablet stuck to a caved-in XBox controller.

Pass."

A statement that infers you're writing off the product for no real reason

From this we can gather that you're statements are pretty fanboyish.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#62blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 4:08:54 AM
Foppe posted...
blankempathy posted...
Foppe posted...
blankempathy posted...
r8mli posted...
http://shield.nvidia.com/

Read the specs and be prepared to be shocked at how no PC gamer will take this seriously. PC gamers love multiple monitors and large screens, why would a PC gamer spend another 250-400 dollars to play their high end pc games on a 5 inch 720p screen? This device is pretty much a smarter Wii U gamepad that doesn't understand its audience. Seeing that the PSV is already at 250-299 I don't see this costing less than 250-400. The Tegra 4 tech is amazing but people buy tablets as a device to do work on and surf the internet. This has a lot of things going against it.

Actually it does understand its audience, if it were just a portable android system with a controller it'd be different. As a pc gamer depending on this cost it does interest me. I would love to play some of my pc games ot emulated games in the comfort of my own bed. Like you said above, Pc gamers love that extra mile, the shield isn't a new platform, its essentially a pc gamer accessory. Of course me buying comes down to the actual cost and how it functions in its release stage.

Put TV in front of your bed, use any card with TV Out, welcome to the 90's.

The way my bed is designed its incredibly uncomfortable to lay down on it since the frame blocks my view to my monitor.

Then you move your monitor, problm solved.
...or get a new bed?
Or introduce the frame to a saw?

Can't do that, My monitor is the centerpoint of my media area, my 5.1 speakers are wired and positioned around it. Not to mention my bed is pretty massive, its also a very nice bed so I'm not going to replace it, and no im not going to saw it off either, it would look terrible.
Just trust me when I say its a hassle to move everything. I like gaming on handhelds as well, ive been doing most of my wii u gaming on the gamepad only.
---
#63FoppePosted 1/7/2013 4:13:18 AM
Doesn't change the fact that we have been able to easily play PC games, and emulators, on our TV's since the 90's.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#64blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 4:17:31 AM
Foppe posted...
Doesn't change the fact that we have been able to easily play PC games, and emulators, on our TV's since the 90's.

Um yea I know I'm using my tv as my monitor at this moment. Thats not exactly the selling point of the shield though.
---
#65Board_hunter567Posted 1/7/2013 4:43:58 AM
Asellus posted...
Can hardly imagine streaming from a pc in the same house would have much input lag, really shouldn't be any different than the Wii U in this respect since it's pretty much the same in how it works there.

Just going by what I see.
http://youtu.be/UKN_SpJ9M2Q?t=32s

There was probably a ton of interference from other devices/hotspots in the room, but I'd imagine they had a pretty good set up for this demonstration. All but one of the demos were 720p as well (they won't say which one was 1080p).
#66NewavePosted 1/7/2013 5:18:44 AM
I see many problems with this...

If it's a gaming console it NEEDS exclusives to survive, and good ones at that. I fail to see how it can get a single exclusive title without causing problems.

The way it's describes is that it uses Android and streams computer games as it's two only options for games.
Now if it starts making exclusive Android games it will undoubtedly anger just about everyone who has a device using Android that isn't the Shield, all other companies that make devices that use Android and all other companies that use Nvidia hardware because it makes the Shield a competitor to all of them.

And the whole streaming games from high-end PC's-feature doesn't exactly mean exclusive titles either, it just means it can run a few specific games that are on PC IF you happen to have a high-end PC enough for the job.

In this day and age it would also need more than just the basic ability to run games seeing as all of the competition has much more to offer, like built in cameras, touch-screens, lots of software functions like internet browsers, music, video etc. etc. etc. and as far as what has been revealed of the Shield it has Android games and streamed PC games and that's it. Maybe it will have a touch-screen (It sure looks comfortable to use the Shield as a touch-screen device, doesn't it!?), maybe it'll get a built in camera, maybe it'll utilize the Android system for apps and other functions beyond just playing games, but even if it does ALL those things it'll still be little more than a tablet with button-based controller, which is something already out on the market as been mentioned before in pretty much every thread about the Shield so far, like the iControlPad and so on.

As a peripheral for high-end PCs to play games a few meters away from the actual PC it feels like a flop. I've used my PSP as a remote controller for my PC using homebrew programs, and while it was fun for a while, using programs and even managing to play some games, it ended up being used mostly to stream music while I was in other rooms, effectively making the whole feature completely redundant seeing as PSP can already have music on it without streaming it from a computer.
I can't help but feel that the Shield's streaming capabilities will be just as short-lived for those who buy it. They'll tire of streaming stuff from their computer and just end up using it for the Android part.

As a portable Android game system it also feels like a flop for obvious reasons. The vital games are missing and if they make the games needed it'll just cause more problems than it will solve.

I just can't see this not flopping completely.
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#67EoinPosted 1/7/2013 6:07:35 AM(edited)
Newave posted...
If it's a gaming console it NEEDS exclusives to survive, and good ones at that. I fail to see how it can get a single exclusive title without causing problems.

I think you're looking at this from an old-fashioned viewpoint. Maybe still a correct viewpoint, but maybe not, and increasingly less likely to be correct in future.

This isn't a games console. This is a games player, a way of accessing your games. The games it plays are not tied exclusively to the console in the same way that MP3s aren't tried to an MP3 player - the idea of an MP3 being "exclusive" to one machine sounds silly, and this machine is taking that viewpoint and attempting to apply it to games.

It won't have exclusives. It technically cannot have exclusives, because the PC games come from Steam and play through a PC, and the Android games come from the Play Store and the device is confirmed as running "pure" Android. So every single thing that you can play on this machine, you'll be able to play on something else, no exceptions, and Nvidia are hoping that this won't matter.

Essentially, they are selling you a new way of accessing games. Physical controls for Android titles on the go (there'll be lots of this kind of machine this year), handheld access to PC titles, an easy streaming-to-TV solution for PC games (everyone who says that PCs can already be connected to TVs easily is both correct, and missing the point), and eventually an avenue for some kind of OnLive-like service.

Exclusives, Nvidia are hoping, aren't relevant to the business model for this machine.
#68messhiaunedPosted 1/7/2013 5:33:17 AM
What a gimmick. I guess its cool when NVIDIA does it lol.
#69blankempathyPosted 1/7/2013 5:36:34 AM
Eoin posted...
Newave posted...

I think you're looking at this from an old-fashioned viewpoint. Maybe still a correct viewpoint, but maybe not, and increasingly less likely to be correct in future.

This isn't a games console. This is a games player, a way of accessing your games. The games it players are not tied exclusively to the console in the same way that MP3s aren't tried to an MP3 player - the idea of an MP3 being "exclusive" to one machine sounds silly, and this machine is taking that viewpoint and attempting to apply it to games.

It won't have exclusives. It technically cannot have exclusives, because the PC games come from Steam and play through a PC, and the Android games come from the Play Store and the device is confirmed as running "pure" Android. So every single thing that you can play on this machine, you'll be able to play on something else, no exceptions, and Nvidia are hoping that this won't matter.

Essentially, they are selling you a new way of accessing games. Physical controls for Android titles on the go (there'll be lots of this kind of machine this year), handheld access to PC titles, an easy streaming-to-TV solution for PC games (everyone who says that PCs can already be connected to TVs easily is both correct, and missing the point), and eventually an avenue for some kind of OnLive-like service.

Exclusives, Nvidia are hoping, aren't relevant to the business model for this machine.

Thats what I pretty much said, its a pc gamers accessory. Or for someone who really loves emulators/android games.
---
#70RainingMetalPosted 1/7/2013 5:44:59 AM
Isn't the point of PC gaming to avoid the use of controllers? I hope this thing flops like the N-Gage.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJNpPN6AO8
Steam Account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964001631