Thinking of taking the plunge...a few questions first

#1btaylorstlPosted 1/7/2013 9:02:12 AM(edited)
So I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Wii U. If nothing else because my Wii is starting to show signs of crapping out, and if I'm going to get another one, I might as well get something that will play the new stuff also.

First, how solid is the backward compatibility? Is it pretty much just exactly like the previous Wii in terms of performance and compatibility?

Second, can someone describe the Wii transfer process in some detail? I ask because my outlet situation is a little sketchy so I'm just curious about what kind of temporary rearrangement I'll have to do to have both of them hooked up at once.

Third, how long roughly would it take to set everything up? I've heard some horror stories. How long does it take to download the initial update? How long does it take to do the average Wii transfer? I just want to know how much time I need to set aside before I can start playing.

Oh, and also...what's the difference between the standard and deluxe version exactly?

Thanks!
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#2Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/7/2013 9:02:41 AM
1) Like Gamecube on the Wii. It becomes a Wii, so the BC is basically 100%.

2) Never did it, can't comment.

3) About 2 hours or so, depending on your connection & going through the settings, making an account.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#3FoppePosted 1/7/2013 9:05:46 AM
First you insert a SD card into the Wii U and start the process.
Then you move the SD card to your Wii, download the app from the Wii Shop channel and starts it.
Then you wait some.
Then you move the SD card to your Wii U to end it.
And Pikmin.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#4mcnichojPosted 1/7/2013 9:06:16 AM
The transfer takes a bit of time but you get to see a neat video.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner.
#5Great_Pudding_3Posted 1/7/2013 9:06:17 AM
Oh, forgot.

Basic:
$300
White case
8gb HDD

Deluxe
$350
Black case
32gb HDD
Nintendo Land game
Optional Stand

If you want a black Wii U and Nintendo Land, you're probably better off getting that. But if the only big deal to you is the bigger HDD, save money and go with the basic. You're going to want an external HDD anyway, 32gb is nothing.
---
NNID: ChocoboDragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#6FoppePosted 1/7/2013 9:09:49 AM
The OS got 5 GB reserved of that memory, just saiyan.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#7flipmode_1Posted 1/7/2013 9:20:18 AM
1. Works just like the wii almost except here there is a wii channel on the main wiiU menu. Open it up and it's like your Wii U is temporarily a Wii.

2. You have to have both consoles hooked up, powered on, and connected to the same wifi network. You'll also need an SD card. Go to the store on the Wii and wii channel on the wii u. Download the transfer channels from each. Follow the instructions on those channels. Your games on the wii's hard drive will transfer with no problem. Games that you may have on an SD will not be transferred but you can go into your downloaded list and redownload them all.

3. Yeah, I've heard some people talk about how it took hours to do that first update. For me it took roughly an hour and I was having some wifi problems. Then it took me maybe another hour to transfer all my wii stuff(including re downloading all the games on my SD card) but I had all the available wii channels on the main menu filled with NES and SNES games and my SD card filled with N64 and wiiware. Seems like a lot but I'd say you're looking at no more than four hours including plugging everything all in and doing the other basic new console set up stuff.
---
GT-Flip Munk PSN-Flip-Munk
Favorites- (1)God of War Series (2)BioShock (3)The Warriors (4) Red Dead Redemption (5)TMNT TiT (6)GTA III
#8btaylorstl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 9:26:09 AM
Thanks everybody. Sounds like I might as well get the Deluxe. NintendoLand seems interesting enough as a sort of feature introduction even if I don't end up spending much time with it, and more disc space is always useful.

Would an SD card that I have in the Wii work for this, or does it come with one? I could always buy another if necessary when I get the system, I just want to make sure I'm prepared.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#9FoppePosted 1/7/2013 9:28:04 AM
Your Wii SD card should work.
Beware that it will delete everything from it once it's done.
---
#10btaylorstl(Topic Creator)Posted 1/7/2013 9:36:59 AM
One more question: does Nintendo Land come pre-loaded in the system or do they give you a disc like Wii Sports? Seems like that could possibly eat up a decent chunk of the hard drive if it's loaded digitally.
---