Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon App Questions

#1Spiral55Posted 1/8/2013 1:36:44 AM
Minor, but for some reason when close these Apps to go directly to the Wii U menu, it will show the Wii U menu loading screen, then the screen will go black for half a second..almost as if it's changing resolution, before showing the Wii Menu Loading screen again (and ultimately arriving to the main Wii U hub area).

It doesn't do this for any of the Wii U games, eShop or MiiVerese and doing it for getting access to the Wii Menu is normal. I have my Wii U set to 1080p currently, and the 3 apps mentioned are in HD or so I thought, so the screen shouldn't be going black at all?

Strange thing is,when using my A/V cables the screen doesn't go black at any point when switching from Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to the Wii U menu.
---
LULZ
#2BuretsuPosted 1/8/2013 1:39:43 AM
Pretty sure it's an HDMI thing.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3Spiral55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 2:16:45 AM(edited)
Buretsu posted...
Pretty sure it's an HDMI thing.

Is this normal for the Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon apps? I know it is for changing to/from Wii/Wii U mode. If it's not...any idea on whether it be the system, T.V, or cable?
---
LULZ
#4Thunderbird8Posted 1/8/2013 2:18:22 AM(edited)
This might be the HDMI switching from a protected stream to an unprotected one. While I've not tried a HDMI recording device (don't have one) with the Wii U, I've heard one can be used with it. But obviously the video streaming services wouldn't want that to be possible.

I mainly watch Netflix on the GamePad, with the Wii U itself hooked up via component, though.
#5Spiral55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 7:52:56 AM
Thunderbird8 posted...
This might be the HDMI switching from a protected stream to an unprotected one. While I've not tried a HDMI recording device (don't have one) with the Wii U, I've heard one can be used with it. But obviously the video streaming services wouldn't want that to be possible.

I mainly watch Netflix on the GamePad, with the Wii U itself hooked up via component, though.

Sorry, if a dumb question but what do you mean it switches to an un-protected stream?

If it helps any, the T.V I use for my dorm room is different from the one I use back at home, and I don't recall it ever doing this back on my home television.
---
LULZ
#6Spiral55(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 7:13:58 PM
bump
---
LULZ
#7Thunderbird8Posted 1/9/2013 2:09:49 AM
It is possible for HDMI transmissions to be protected via HDCP to prevent recording with another device. I suspect blu-ray players do this. I don't know for sure if the Wii U ever actually uses an unprotected output, but it's certainly a thought if that sort of thing only happens with the video streaming apps and not with component. I suspect different TVs might handle the change differently.