Welp, I bought Majora's Mask on the Wii VC.

#41KouramaPosted 1/9/2013 7:09:26 AM
I love MM. Such a great game and definitely my favorite Zelda. As much as I dislike remakes, as they are usually done lazily and badly, I would probably buy a remake of MM in a heartbeat.
#4240DribylfPosted 1/9/2013 7:11:51 AM
Oh yeah, and screw off. Sorry I offended your precious Zelda that you had to resort to childish ad hominem

Do you even know what ad hominem means?

Anyway, like I said before, you like your Zelda games easy. Not once have I felt the bosses were "poor designed" because I never felt incompetent enough to blame the game for my failings. And even so, I always had fun with the bosses, and never felt frustrated or annoyed, I felt challenged and I had fun, even when I was 10 playing the game. And the dungeons had their faults like any other Zelda game, but they stood out in their design and never thought once they were "poor"

I recently fell in love with the game, because I beat it once when I was a kid and didn't care for it much, until I played it again when i was 18 and loved it since.

I'm open for criticism of the game (some side-quests are more fleshed out than others, the Great Bay Temple can be extremely annoying if you don't know what you're doing, the Ikuna area can be a mess, you have completely wing that Love sidequest at times, pre-temple areas can take a while) but it sounds like you think the game was "2 hard 4 me" and dismissed it as a bad Zelda game

Which is hilarious..
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#43Rasputin77Posted 1/9/2013 7:12:32 AM
FAT____MAN posted...
Jesus ****ing Christ quit replying to every post like you have something to prove.

Um... you just described about 90% of the users here. Very accurately, lol.

On topic: Thank you, TC, for this thread! I hadn't even checked out the Wii store yet until I read this yesterday. I found Majora's Mask, which I've never played, and will have to buy it soon. So thanks for making me aware. :)
---
Wii U board rule: If the topic title has ANY adjective with a negative implication... it's time to pee pants.
http://alturl.com/hc9un
#44poultrygeist1Posted 1/9/2013 7:32:03 AM(edited)
40Dribylf posted...
Oh yeah, and screw off. Sorry I offended your precious Zelda that you had to resort to childish ad hominem

Do you even know what ad hominem means?

Anyway, like I said before, you like your Zelda games easy. Not once have I felt the bosses were "poor designed" because I never felt incompetent enough to blame the game for my failings. And even so, I always had fun with the bosses, and never felt frustrated or annoyed, I felt challenged and I had fun, even when I was 10 playing the game. And the dungeons had their faults like any other Zelda game, but they stood out in their design and never thought once they were "poor"

I recently fell in love with the game, because I beat it once when I was a kid and didn't care for it much, until I played it again when i was 18 and loved it since.

I'm open for criticism of the game (some side-quests are more fleshed out than others, the Great Bay Temple can be extremely annoying if you don't know what you're doing, the Ikuna area can be a mess, you have completely wing that Love sidequest at times, pre-temple areas can take a while) but it sounds like you think the game was "2 hard 4 me" and dismissed it as a bad Zelda game

Which is hilarious..

No, I did not dismiss the entire game because it was "2 hard 4 me" I dismissed it because frustratingly poorly designed bosses. Just google "king of Ikana" and you'll find plenty of people saying "how do I dodge his head" "I keep dying because he keeps biting me" "I have never once dodged his head in my whole life" I thought I was just being stupid and missing something obvious, but even wikis and FAQs offer no good strategies. Gyorg has created similar infamous frustrations among fans so I'm not alone. So no, you're not open to criticism when you automatically dismiss someone's argument by just laughing at them saying "THEY LIKE THEIR GAMES EASY HERP DERP!" because that IS ad hominem ("an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument" you didn't address my argument that the bosses were poorly designed until just now, you just implied I suck at Zelda, and trust me, I've played MUCH harder games than Majora's Mask)
#4540DribylfPosted 1/9/2013 7:40:39 AM
No, I did not dismiss the entire game because it was "2 hard 4 me" I dismissed it because frustratingly poorly designed bosses. Just google "king of Ikana" and you'll find plenty of people saying "how do I dodge his head" "I keep dying because he keeps biting me" "I have never once dodged his head in my whole life" I thought I was just being stupid and missing something obvious, but even wikis and FAQs offer no good strategies. Gyorg has created similar infamous frustrations among fans so I'm not alone. So no, you're not open to criticism when you automatically dismiss someone's argument by just laughing at them saying "THEY LIKE THEIR GAMES EASY HERP DERP!" because that IS ad hominem ("an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument" you didn't address my argument, you just implied I suck at Zelda, and trust me, I've played MUCH harder games than Majora's Mask)

That's not what ad hominem means, that's a half assed definition. It means "a claim that is made against the person that is irrelevant to the argument at hand to dismiss said argument" My claim wasn't irrelevant to the topic at hand. It was an insult, maybe, but not an ad hominem.

Now, if I said "LOL, this guy likes Katamari Damachi, he knows nothing about good game design" that's ad hominem

Anyway, yes, The Ikuna King can be a ***** because his head is invincible and almost impossible to avoid. That's not too big of an issue if you defeat him quickly. But I'll give you that one. Otherwise, that's the only issue I agree with. Gyorg is a goddamn joke (fun, but easy), and I will chalk that up to failing to comprehend how games work.

And there are about 7-8 boss fights in the games, yet 1-2 give you trouble, then suddenly the game entirely has poorly designed bosses? Please.

And I don't play super challenging games. The toughest game I beat was Ninja Gaiden 1 on Master Ninja. Otherwise, MM gave me damn near zero trouble and I never felt frustrated to the point where I blame the game.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#46wiiking96Posted 1/9/2013 7:52:15 AM
I see what you mean with the Elegy of Emptiness, that was one of the weaker points of MM. Now, that puzzle wasn't overused in that dungeon and it was still a very well designed one otherwise. I can understand despising the Stone Tower, but at least you only have to do it once.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#47poultrygeist1Posted 1/9/2013 8:00:34 AM
40Dribylf posted...

yet 1-2 give you trouble

More like (at least) 1-2 were poorly designed, I just want to hear you say that the king of Ikana at least, was poorly designed (but you probably won't because lol fanboy). That said I found plenty of bosses frustrating, or at least not fun. The very first boss I remember I was ready to use strategy to beat him, I was ready to beat him using a strategic combination of the deku mask and the item I received in that dungeon like most zelda games. Little did I know that didn't actually work, and the most effective strategy was just wildly slashing at him with your sword and running away before he counter attacks. I guess that frustration is kind of on me for assuming it was going to run like every other zelda game, but it was still a lame boss regardless with no strategy IMO.

Like I said I also didn't like the "gimmick" bosses either. The boss where you turn giant and have to hack away at it fast enough that you don't run out of magic, is not only shallow and pointless, but frustrating if you run out of magic and you never use the giant mask again after that, poorly designed if you ask me. Then the goron rolling boss I also didn't like, but I guess frustrating isn't the right word, just not fun IMO.

But yeah, even though there are plenty of people who have trouble with Gyorg because of the crappy camera and controls, I guess that just means that I specifically don't know how video games work
#48poultrygeist1Posted 1/9/2013 8:03:46 AM
wiiking96 posted...
I see what you mean with the Elegy of Emptiness, that was one of the weaker points of MM. Now, that puzzle wasn't overused in that dungeon and it was still a very well designed one otherwise. I can understand despising the Stone Tower, but at least you only have to do it once.

Technically, I had to do it three times. First time I overestimated how much time I had left and had to start over. Second time I got stuck in a glitch just a little before the boss door that forced me to reset the game. Finally beat it on the third time (but the whole upside down thing made it fell like 6 times LOL). Anyways yeah, hated that dungeon, if I give this game another go, I'll probably try to do as many sidequests as I can without replaying stone tower.
#49CymerianPosted 1/9/2013 8:03:58 AM
How do you buy games on the VC? Through the Wii interface?
---
Fanboys: I want Tales of-
Excalibur: Fool! What right do you have to want a tales game? My legend dates back to the 12th century!
#50poultrygeist1Posted 1/9/2013 8:05:08 AM
Cymerian posted...
How do you buy games on the VC? Through the Wii interface?

wii shop channel on the main channel menu. Then search virtual console games. N64 games are usually 10 dollars.