Am I the only one who thinks Zelda is overrated?

#41Dragonfist17Posted 1/8/2013 10:22:40 PM
Speaking as someone who played Zelda, Zelda II, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask back when they were brand new and groundbreaking, I would say they were masterpieces. Except Zelda II, though, it was better than the first TMNT game, so I did end up beating it eventually, but all the rest redefined the action adventure genre.

I can think of many overrated series, but this isn't one of them. I do have to mention that I didn't care too much for Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, but the older games were very solid in their day.
#42aether17Posted 1/9/2013 12:08:17 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
aether17 posted...
Some of the games are overrated, especially OoT, the most overrated game in the history of gaming. Even when I got the 64, Mario 64 was way better than OoT. OoT didn't feel like anything special really.

FFVII and Ocarina of Time are tied for most overrated game of all time.

I'm not a fan of FFVII, but it's more "positive" than OoT to me (but still is overrated)
#43FlyinTonitePosted 1/9/2013 12:19:54 AM
you can say a zelda game is overrated but I don't think the series can be called overrated. Critically loved, commercially successful system sellers to their core, how can you possibly argue they aren't as good as the masses say? (Series wise obviously)
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#44badboyPosted 1/9/2013 12:26:56 AM
It's not the best series, and there are several bad Zelda games. But the good ones are really good.
#45redbuckPosted 1/12/2013 8:32:56 AM
ArturiaZwei posted...
There are exceptions to everything.

Zelda, Mario... most Nintendo titles are highly popular games that are widely considered to be the best in gaming.

If you think otherwise, you would definitely be in the minority. Not wrong... but... not adhering to popular opinion.

Gonna add to this. I'm sure back in the day, as little kids (Twilight Princess was my first Zelda game, so I can't say from personal experience), it was probably the greatest thing in existence, because your parents would only let you pick out a game a month, so people went with what they knew as good. These days, you can learn about any given game. All you have to do is hear about it, look up gameplay on youtube, search both professional and user reviews, talk about it with internet buddies, and all that good stuff.
#46ElGadoPosted 1/12/2013 8:34:13 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
People are always praising it like it's the best series on the planet, even though the games themselves are pretty standard adventure games. Even OoT, with is regarded as flawless, is still pretty mediocre.

...This is my death warrant isn't it?

It's only mediocre today because the graphics have aged horrifically. If the game were to be remade such as Resident Evil Remake for GC, it would be flawless.
#47FuNsH1nEPosted 1/12/2013 8:37:35 AM
Nintendo games (mainly Mario/Zelda) are the only games I end up playing multiple times. I would bet this isn't because I find the games overrated.
#48LugiaMaster45Posted 1/12/2013 9:05:19 AM
SegavsCapcom posted...
BearlyWilling posted...
Someone's trying to be hip and edgy.

Eh, not really. Hating on a mainstream game doesn't really make you hip. There are a lot of Call of Duty haters. Are they all hip and edgy.

Zelda is just one series that's really hard for me to get in to. OoT is okay, but not as perfect as many make it out to be.

Zelda gets way too much praise as it's pretty stadard.

you know i feel you on the " too much praise/hard for you to get into" thing im the same way with the Final Fantasy games.
---
NintendoID: KINGZXGAMBIT87
XBXLIVE GAMTAG: XAVEUSCAESAR WiiU60ers UNITE
#49koolguy5Posted 1/12/2013 9:13:30 AM
I do see it being a bit overrated, but just a bit. I probably think that because of fanboyish comments about it that makes me think that...however I do respect the series and all of which it stands for, and I do indeed plan on playing all the zelda games at somepoint in the future.
---
Mario rules.Period.FTLulz
#50DarkAdonis123Posted 1/12/2013 9:18:17 AM
For me Zelda stopped being good after OoT. It's sailing on it's name at this point. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword would've been deemed mediocre games if they didn't have "The Legend of Zelda" slapped on them.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue