Nintendo - "Virtual Console will eventually be playable on the GamePad alone"

#1lp913Posted 1/8/2013 7:35:46 PM(edited)
"The Wii U eShop has been hailed by a number of small developers as an exciting new platform on which to publish games; however, since the system's launch the eShop hasn’t seen a significant growth due to few new titles emerging.

Many people have also been wondering what is happening with the Virtual Console, at the moment you can access it through the Wii Menu but not through the Wii U eShop itself. This is something that Nintendo is working on and it's reiterated this, telling Kotaku that it is “moving ahead with development of Virtual Console for Wii U”.

One dream some Nintendo gamers had upon hearing of the Wii U was to see Virtual Console titles like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Chrono Trigger playable on the GamePad alone."

Thankfully, Nintendo has also confirmed that this is something it's working towards:

"We plan to make it so you can play it on the Wii U GamePad alone."

There's still no news on whether or not GameCube games will be downloadable through the Wii U Virtual Console, but we do know Reggie Fils-Aime would "love for that to happen". So would we Reggie, so would we."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/virtual_console_games_will_eventually_be_playable_on_wii_u_gamepad_alone

IF true, sounds great, only questions are how soon, and will transferred paid Wii VC to Wii U will eventually be playable on the GamePad without having to purchase a difference version of the same titled software? I know that's what all of us are hoping for, and personally believe it will happen. Going by the 3DS example, paid for DSiWare transferred over to the 3DS and became instantly playable, so we should expect Nintendo to come through here, though a much larger back catalog in Wii VC and even WiiWare to convert over.

I honestly DON'T expect cross purchase play between 3DS and Wii U (that would require complainers to look at the other half of the equation - do you really want and can stomach the likes of Classic Game Boy to DSiWare blown up on your TV screen through Wii U (saying just make those playable on the GamePad as well when you would already have 3DS/XL is utterly redundant).

At the very least, all transferred paid Wii Shop content (just like our old Wii Miis) should be transferred and converted into the Wii U format - HD upscale (OR render), GamePad and Pro Controller play, maybe even data sharing between SD Card, Internal memory and external HDD. For those feeling nostalgic, let us have the option of either using the Wii Menu OR the Wii U menu to navigate the same software. Right now, its the best feature Nintendo could add to the Wii U right now and hopefully they'll get it done (and right) before next holiday season.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#2CrystalKing5426Posted 1/8/2013 7:32:52 PM
Good news, but why is it not available now?
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
#3AhnoldDoodPosted 1/8/2013 7:33:32 PM
CrystalKing5426 posted...

It takes time?
#4CrystalKing5426Posted 1/8/2013 7:35:24 PM
AhnoldDood posted...

It takes time?

I don't imagine the coding to make that work being all that difficult or time consuming. If it is, then I will retract this statement.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
#5AhnoldDoodPosted 1/8/2013 7:40:12 PM
I don't imagine the coding to make that work being all that difficult or time consuming.

I did remember once that they said that making Mario Bros. work on the GamePad was harder than they thought it was (here it is: http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/10/nintendo-explains-why-you-cant-play-virtual-console-games-using-the-wii-u-game-pad/). But that's prolly cause it was a VC made for the Wii.

The reason why we don't have Wii U VC is prolly the same reason games like Yoshi's Island weren't on the Wii VC. And that reason is... uh... Mode 7?
#6sentoworfPosted 1/8/2013 7:41:41 PM
I would love this
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#7Enigma149Posted 1/8/2013 7:46:50 PM
If I had to guess, it's because they have to either a) re-create all of the emulators to work on the Wii U, or b) create a system so that, when you are playing a game in Wii Mode, the Wii U can detect that that game is a Virtual Console game, and re-activate the GamePad to act as the screen to output to and cause the GamePad to act as a Classic Controller, without exiting Wii mode.

Interestingly enough, if they chose the second option, they could theoretically make other Classic Controller games, such as Brawl or Xenoblade, work like this as well.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#8lp913(Topic Creator)Posted 1/8/2013 7:53:09 PM
Enigma149 posted...
If I had to guess, it's because they have to either a) re-create all of the emulators to work on the Wii U, or b) create a system so that, when you are playing a game in Wii Mode, the Wii U can detect that that game is a Virtual Console game, and re-activate the GamePad to act as the screen to output to and cause the GamePad to act as a Classic Controller, without exiting Wii mode.

Interestingly enough, if they chose the second option, they could theoretically make other Classic Controller games, such as Brawl or Xenoblade, work like this as well.

Pretty much my thinking as well, GamePad and Pro Controller literally have Identical buttons to the old Wii Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro. So at least for the digital games, the button/software conversion shouldn't be difficult, if at all.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#9Enigma149Posted 1/8/2013 8:06:12 PM
lp913 posted...
Enigma149 posted...

Pretty much my thinking as well, GamePad and Pro Controller literally have Identical buttons to the old Wii Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro. So at least for the digital games, the button/software conversion shouldn't be difficult, if at all.

The problem is, they basically have to trick the Wii U into thinking the GamePad is really a Classic Controller plugged into the Wii Remote...not exactly easy, especially if there's already a Classic Controller or Nunchuck plugged into the Wii Remote. As it is, the Wii Remote can't receive these signals wirelessly...
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#10hellbringherPosted 1/8/2013 8:09:19 PM
If only there was a way to know that people would have expected this a long time ago. In turn Nintendo could have started on this at least a year ago. Let Nintendo spew their lies though. Nintendo fanboys believe everything. 3 years from now everyone is going to forget and Nintendo is going to walk away quietly.
---
Regular Show >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Adventure Time