Next Assassins Creed 3 DLC skips Wii U...

#121StickMen1090Posted 1/9/2013 1:34:01 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
It's also true that developers simply don't want to waste money on Wii U versions, but that doesn't explain the Assassin's Creed 3 DLC which is announced for the Wii U but simply not out yet due to the server infrastructure not being there.

why is early DLC included in games but not newer it cant be because of Nintendo or the WIi U cause they wouldnt get any DLC if that was the case
#122kissdadookiePosted 1/9/2013 1:36:00 PM
Baha05 posted...
kissdadookie posted...
That's a terrible assumption that defies the business aspect of it. These companies are businesses, they are not releasing things for goodwill, they release it with the full intention of making money. I highly doubt that they've sold enough copies of AC3 for the Wii U to warrant worrying about putting DLC out for it. Why? Because even if every single owner of AC3 Wii U bought the DLC, it's still probably not enough for Ubisoft to break even on the development and distribution of it.

I mean honestly, the reason that all these ports even made it to the Wii U in the first place is most likely Nintendo having probably threw a bit of an incentives package at these publishers and then hoping that the games would sell well enough to attract more 3rd party support. Obviously these games haven't sold that well and now we are seeing devs and publishers come out o the woodwork saying how things like Crysis 3 makes no financial sense to release on the Wii U.

I guess but still you would think that they would want all version on a somewhat equal ground or else what would be the incentive to buy say ME3 on the Wii U if it'll be a game that has gimped content in the long run? Especially if they expect these ports to make a killing on the system.

Devs gotta work for these things you know?

Again, I honestly don't believe that something like AC3, ME3, BO2 or Arkham made it on to the Wii U without a lot of Nintendo backing (aka, either heavy subsidization of dev costs, heavy discount licensing deals, etc.). Like even that Pro Controller, I honestly believe that thing came out at the same time as the console launch due mainly because some publishers probably refused to port over the game if that controller wasn't available (most likely Activision, showing how much leverage Activision is and how much Nintendo is willing to give to get some titles on to the Wii U). It's not a far fetched idea seeing how the Circle Pad Pro was essentially made because Capcom wanted dual analogue for RE on the 3DS along with MH dual analogue support.

So no, the publishers and devs could care less about making sure all versions of the games are on even footing in terms of post-release support. They will only really focus on supporting games with large install bases. The Wii U install base for these games really are negligible. We really are lucky to even have what we currently have.

All comes back around to the business aspect and nothing else. Again, they don't make games for the goodwill of gamers, they make games so that they can make a profit to fund their next game and the cycle continues like that. Heck, remember Punch Quest on iOS? That game was released basically using the good will model, look at what happened with that, the devs basically came out and explained that they learned the lesson of never to make a game and release it using that model ever again, it's a one way road to failure.
#123Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 1:36:05 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
It's also true that developers simply don't want to waste money on Wii U versions, but that doesn't explain the Assassin's Creed 3 DLC which is announced for the Wii U but simply not out yet due to the server infrastructure not being there.

why is early DLC included in games but not newer it cant be because of Nintendo or the WIi U cause they wouldnt get any DLC if that was the case

Are you talking about Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, and Darksiders 2? That's on disc DLC and was included for extra value most likely.
#124Baha05Posted 1/9/2013 1:36:15 PM
kissdadookie posted...
To be perfectly honest, I feel that all the dislike and critique on publishers and devs are totally misplaced. The Wii U isn't getting great 3rd party support due to how Nintendo has been running their business for this whole console generation (PS360/Wii). They made their own Wii market that was completely disconnected with the main PS360 market. Now with the Wii U, it's Nintendo trying to gain parity with just the PS360 at the moment. People who have PS360s mostly are not going to go and drop their current platforms in favour for the Wii U, plain and simple. So they will continue buying things like AC3 and what not for their existing PS360s and if they do own a Wii U, these multi-console owners would most likely just stick with the exclusives for the Wii U.

So all these leads back to publishers and devs, they are not stupid enough to waste their resources to develop a multi-plat game, especially ones that have been in dev for some time now, for the Wii U when there's a 90+% chance that the number of copies they will be able to sell on the Wii U will not come close to recouping the cost of developing the Wii U version. You can't really blame publishers and devs for NOT wanting to lose money.

True I can't blame them for not wanting to lose money but the thing is I think they approaching the Wii U the wrong way but porting. I think the best thing for them to do is make new or original games exclusive to the Wii U or exclusive features for new multiplats for the Wii U. It won't say get all the fans to drop their current systems but it'll at least show initiative to do something different.

Because really when you boil it down 3rd party devs don't want to risk money but this industry is always full of risks. I think it might be better to at least try the risk a little with ports and then follow up with say a new game from scratch to get people
s attention by at least showing support in the system instead of playing the waiting game to see the system sell first. Hell even little Arcade type games could help just as much and there would be a much small risk involved but still show you are willing to develop games for the system.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#125AhnoldDoodPosted 1/9/2013 1:38:45 PM
Oh, and Tank! Tank! Tank! still proves you wrong in every way possible. It doesn't matter if its on-disc DLC, its still DLC, that's why we call it on-disc DLC. They can, and DID, upload DLC to their servers, so you're flat-out wrong.
#126kissdadookiePosted 1/9/2013 1:40:07 PM
Baha05 posted...
kissdadookie posted...
To be perfectly honest, I feel that all the dislike and critique on publishers and devs are totally misplaced. The Wii U isn't getting great 3rd party support due to how Nintendo has been running their business for this whole console generation (PS360/Wii). They made their own Wii market that was completely disconnected with the main PS360 market. Now with the Wii U, it's Nintendo trying to gain parity with just the PS360 at the moment. People who have PS360s mostly are not going to go and drop their current platforms in favour for the Wii U, plain and simple. So they will continue buying things like AC3 and what not for their existing PS360s and if they do own a Wii U, these multi-console owners would most likely just stick with the exclusives for the Wii U.

So all these leads back to publishers and devs, they are not stupid enough to waste their resources to develop a multi-plat game, especially ones that have been in dev for some time now, for the Wii U when there's a 90+% chance that the number of copies they will be able to sell on the Wii U will not come close to recouping the cost of developing the Wii U version. You can't really blame publishers and devs for NOT wanting to lose money.

True I can't blame them for not wanting to lose money but the thing is I think they approaching the Wii U the wrong way but porting. I think the best thing for them to do is make new or original games exclusive to the Wii U or exclusive features for new multiplats for the Wii U. It won't say get all the fans to drop their current systems but it'll at least show initiative to do something different.

Because really when you boil it down 3rd party devs don't want to risk money but this industry is always full of risks. I think it might be better to at least try the risk a little with ports and then follow up with say a new game from scratch to get people
s attention by at least showing support in the system instead of playing the waiting game to see the system sell first. Hell even little Arcade type games could help just as much and there would be a much small risk involved but still show you are willing to develop games for the system.

The problem with new IP and new games in general is that those are going to come out for the next Sony and MS boxes. Devs have been playing with those devkits for a long time now and making games for them, but they are under gag order. So what we have remaining for the PS360 are mostly games that have been in development and are now just being finished and waiting to launch which of course in turn makes no sense to start Wii U development for so late into the dev cycle.

So the testament of Wii U 3rd party support will really come when the next Sony and MS boxes come out. Then we will see new IPs and games in general. We will see if these games make it to the Wii U. We may see some new games for PS360 that have been developed post-Wii U launch and see if these games make it over to the Wii U. That's basically when we will know if the Wii U will be getting full 3rd party support or not.
#127kissdadookiePosted 1/9/2013 1:40:57 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Oh, and Tank! Tank! Tank! still proves you wrong in every way possible. It doesn't matter if its on-disc DLC, its still DLC, that's why we call it on-disc DLC. They can, and DID, upload DLC to their servers, so you're flat-out wrong.

The fact that they can PATCH these games just shows that DLC is perfectly doable right here right now.
#128Baha05Posted 1/9/2013 1:46:58 PM
kissdadookie posted...
The problem with new IP and new games in general is that those are going to come out for the next Sony and MS boxes. Devs have been playing with those devkits for a long time now and making games for them, but they are under gag order. So what we have remaining for the PS360 are mostly games that have been in development and are now just being finished and waiting to launch which of course in turn makes no sense to start Wii U development for so late into the dev cycle.

So the testament of Wii U 3rd party support will really come when the next Sony and MS boxes come out. Then we will see new IPs and games in general. We will see if these games make it to the Wii U. We may see some new games for PS360 that have been developed post-Wii U launch and see if these games make it over to the Wii U. That's basically when we will know if the Wii U will be getting full 3rd party support or not.

I guess though again kinda foolish to just wait bbut hey we'll see what 3rd party support this puppy gets. Hell the 3DS didn't start out to a smooth start either but it's been catching up.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#129pikachupwnagePosted 1/9/2013 1:55:42 PM
I just want to know when freaking season pass(With nuketown zombies) Hits Wii U :(
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png
#130kissdadookiePosted 1/9/2013 1:56:36 PM
Baha05 posted...
kissdadookie posted...

I guess though again kinda foolish to just wait bbut hey we'll see what 3rd party support this puppy gets. Hell the 3DS didn't start out to a smooth start either but it's been catching up.

If you think about it, 3DS is kind of not doing all that well. You can tell by looking at the games released for it and the ones coming down the pipe. I think dedicated handheld gaming systems is pretty much on its last legs at this point. I highly doubt that there will be another dedicated console in the traditional sense after the 3DS and Vita. Yes the 3DS is selling a lot of units relatively speaking but the exchange rate right now is terrible and the margins on these things are noticeably lower than Nintendo's traditional margins. So financially speaking, the 3DS doesn't seem to be that impressive. We truly are in the age where you should be making most of your money from content. Look at the 360, that thing STILL is sold at a loss I believe yet MS makes billions in net profit off of the 360 business.

The way I see the Wii U to be is a 3-4 year stop gap for Nintendo. It fills the period between now until the time that the next Sony and MS boxes begin to gain traction. At that point, Nintendo will probably announce a new system thus truly reaching parity with the rest of the video games market. This totally makes sense as well since Nintendo's traditional life cycle for home consoles has been 3-4 years. For Nintendo to receive proper 3rd party support, the system needs to be close to the same age as the other platforms as well as be close in parity in terms of hardware. I mean, the direction of the video games market is truly heading towards the set top box model where the hardware really doesn't matter and the defining aspects of the platforms are really going to be the unique services each provide.