Discussion point: Do you see motion controls being used often with the Wii U?

#1IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/9/2013 6:27:45 AM(edited)
This discussion was prompted by a CES interview with Gabe Newell of Valve fame:

Q: Speaking of controllers, what kind of creative inputs are you working on? Valve has already confessed its dissatisfaction with existing controllers and the kinds of inputs available. Kinect? Motion?

A: We’ve struggled for a long time to try to think of ways to use motion input and we really haven’t [found any]. Wii Sports is still kind of the pinnacle of that. We look at that, and for us at least, as a games developer, we can’t see how it makes games fundamentally better. On the controller side, the stuff we’re thinking of is kind of super boring stuff all around latency and precision. There’s no magic there, everybody understands when you say "I want something that’s more precise and is less laggy." We think that, unlike motion input where we kind of struggled to come up with ideas, [there's potential in] biometrics. We have lots of ideas.

I think you’ll see controllers coming from us that use a lot of biometric data. Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we’re a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method. Motion just seems to be a way of [thinking] of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth — so to trying to talk to a game with your arms is essentially saying "oh we’re going to stop using ethernet and go back to 300 baud dial-up." Maybe there are other ways to think of that. There’s more engagement when you’re using larger skeletal muscles, but whenever we go down [that path] we sort of come away unconvinced. Biometrics on the other hand is essentially adding more communication bandwidth between the game and the person playing it, especially in ways the player isn’t necessarily conscious of. Biometrics gives us more visibility. Also, gaze tracking. We think gaze tracking is going to turn out to be super important.

And honestly, I think he's right. Motion controls really never evolved much further than Wii Sports, shake and point. Sure there were notable exceptions, but honestly even the game many say is the "defining game" for motion controls (Skyward Sword) would have been better without them, in my opinion.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Motion controls ye or ne? I figured this was the most relevant place to discuss it, what with Nintendo focusing so much on it last gen and then all but leaving it behind this gen in favor of the tablet controller.

Edit: Interview link if anyone is interested http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming
#2lninjasoniclPosted 1/9/2013 6:31:58 AM
I don't think so, well primarily anyway seeing as how the gamepad is the main controller now. I can see the wii remote being an addition since you need for 2-5 player games and thus using motion controls.
---
I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. Best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes.
#3Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:36:11 AM
I don't think so, well primarily anyway seeing as how the gamepad is the main controller now. I can see the wii remote being an addition since you need for 2-5 player games and thus using motion controls.

I too think the Wii Remote will be relegated to the "oh, we can only use one UPad so... use this" controller in multiplayer games.
#4Kazoka223Posted 1/9/2013 6:37:47 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

I too think the Wii Remote will be relegated to the "oh, we can only use one UPad so... use this" controller in multiplayer games.

also, don't forget the wii u classic controller that can also be an option.
#5Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:43:25 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

also, don't forget the wii u classic controller that can also be an option.

True but stock seems surprisingly low for that controller and isn't it some ridiculous price for what it offers?
#6Rasputin77Posted 1/9/2013 6:43:57 AM
I think I need to play Skyward Sword... but as of right now, I'm mostly "nay" on the motion controls.
---
Wii U board rule: If the topic title has ANY adjective with a negative implication... it's time to pee pants.
http://alturl.com/hc9un
#7guedesbrawlPosted 1/9/2013 6:46:19 AM
few games are actually competent in advanced motions.like trauma team or skyward sword.
some even have few problems with simple motion,like DKCR
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#8Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:50:55 AM
I think I need to play Skyward Sword... but as of right now, I'm mostly "nay" on the motion controls.

It gives you a faux sense of 1:1 tracking, but the actual swordplay only has 8 predetermined slashes and one jab. I think the motion controls could have worked if the system for sword play was actually dynamic and not predetermined.

Oh, and the bird flying controls are completely awful.
#9xLittlekillxPosted 1/9/2013 6:50:57 AM
Fishing Resort is the pinnacle of motion controls. You might think I'm being ironic, but I'm not. The game is spectacular and the controls are great.
#10Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:54:51 AM
Fishing Resort is the pinnacle of motion controls. You might think I'm being ironic, but I'm not. The game is spectacular and the controls are great.

I'll take your word for it, though we had games like that since Dreamcast.