I called it....

#1darkjedilinkPosted 1/9/2013 1:39:51 PM
SteamBox is a PC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/eyes-on-with-valves-steambox-prototypes/

Now, would everyone please stop pretending that SteamBox is some radical new console that'll destroy the Wii U somehow?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#2New LinkPosted 1/9/2013 1:41:55 PM
Uhm... I think we've all known the steambox is a linux pc well before it was confirmed.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#3PaladinrjaPosted 1/9/2013 1:43:54 PM
darkjedilink posted...
SteamBox is a PC.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/eyes-on-with-valves-steambox-prototypes/

Now, would everyone please stop pretending that SteamBox is some radical new console that'll destroy the Wii U somehow?

No, 'Bigfoot' is a console. The Hardwares fixed.
#4Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 1:46:54 PM
It's designed to be a gaming console for the living room that uses Linux
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#5PaladinrjaPosted 1/9/2013 1:51:56 PM
You can load whatever OS ya want on it. Just that it uses fixed proprietary hardware.
#6New LinkPosted 1/9/2013 1:56:02 PM
Paladinrja posted...
You can load whatever OS ya want on it. Just that it uses fixed proprietary hardware.

Well, it's shipped with linux, and I doubt OSX, AmigaOS, BSD, or Haiku would have the hardware support for it. The only thing that we know that if for some god-awful reason you want to put windows on it, it will work.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#7jmichaelbpPosted 1/9/2013 2:03:41 PM
If it comes with a free hat, a frogurt, a heavy plushie and a Gabe Newell plushie, and if it's priced well, the Wii U , 720 and PS4 are screwed. Oh, and if Half Life 3 is exclusive to the Steam Box, well.... yeah...
---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#8PaladinrjaPosted 1/9/2013 2:11:48 PM
jmichaelbp posted...
If it comes with a free hat, a frogurt, a heavy plushie and a Gabe Newell plushie, and if it's priced well, the Wii U , 720 and PS4 are screwed. Oh, and if Half Life 3 is exclusive to the Steam Box, well.... yeah...

Exclusives are not in Valves plans. HL3 will be multiplat. Bigfoot is mainly for Steam & Steam workshop.
#9IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/9/2013 2:14:52 PM
Steambox is not just a PC, please learn something before you try and talk about it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming
#10darkjedilink(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 2:17:30 PM
Paladinrja posted...

Fixed hardware, sure, but it's very unlikely to be proprietary. Going that route would mean that the games they already have would likely not work properly.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie