So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#1HeaderHogPosted 1/9/2013 6:54:26 PM
I can understand why the Wii U might not do well, (or not,) or why the Wii was hated (or loved)
But why the hell did the GameCube do badly?
It had some very good games for its time, good 3rd party support, and some killer launch items.
So, why didn't it do well?
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#2DiscostewSMPosted 1/9/2013 6:55:50 PM
Might have been the storage medium (1.4GB) vs the 4.7GB DVDs the competition used.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#3Enigma149Posted 1/9/2013 7:00:46 PM(edited)
Because it didn't have a built-in DVD player. Then again, the Panasonic Q had one, and it did even worse...

If I had to guess, it's because it didn't cater to casuals. Look at all the best-selling systems The NES, the PS1, the PS2, and the Wii all catered to casuals. Heck, even the SNES targeted a wider audience than the Genesis. Casuals sell systems.

Of course, it did have some disadvantages: 2-disc GameCube games had to be smaller than 1-disc PS2 and XBox games, and although the GameCube development tools were designed for up-to 4-disc games, no game exceeds 2 discs. It also didn't have built-in online support (then again, neither did the PS2), and its maximum resolution was 480p (though to be honest, I doubt anyone bought the Xbox just because it had 720p support).

It also cost the least. Which also makes it the only time the cheapest console didn't sell the most in a generation.

Let's just say the GameCube is an enigma.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#4HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:56:33 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Might have been the storage medium (1.4GB) vs the 4.7GB DVDs the competition used.

Really?
How many multiplats did the GameCube miss out on for that?
---
#5Baha05Posted 1/9/2013 6:57:00 PM
Mainly just Disc Size and 3rd Party issues
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#6HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 6:57:34 PM
Enigma149 posted...
Because it didn't have a built-in DVD player. Then again, the Panasonic Q had one, and it did even worse...

If I had to guess, it's because it didn't cater to casuals. Look at all the best-selling systems The NES, the PS1, the PS2, and the Wii all catered to casuals. Heck, even the SNES targeted a wider audience than the Genesis. Casuals sell systems.

It's Nintendo.
They ALWAYS cater to casuals.
---
#7ADHDguitarPosted 1/9/2013 6:58:26 PM
HeaderHog posted...
Enigma149 posted...

It's Nintendo.
They ALWAYS cater to casuals.

PS2 was way more casual.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#8ObtuseAnginaPosted 1/9/2013 6:59:02 PM
the Gamecube is also technically superior than the PS2 but the Xbox is stronger than the Gamecube. so its an example of a more capable system doesnt mean more sales
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg http://www.stacksofdoom.com
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,....I'd give my life. Not for honor, but for you!
#9HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:00:14 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
the Gamecube is also technically superior than the PS2 but the Xbox is stronger than the Gamecube. so its an example of a more capable system doesnt mean more sales

That's also true.
I didn't know anyone who owned an XBOX when I was a kid.
---
#10GuitaristMattPosted 1/9/2013 7:01:45 PM
HeaderHog posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

Really?
How many multiplats did the GameCube miss out on for that?

A couple games were just multiple discs. Like Halo 4 is with its multiplayer and single player disc. There isn't really a way to tell what we missed with the gamecube with information being spread differently in 2004, but most games are only 1.4gb or less anyway.
---
"Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's Undeniable."
Self Proclaimed Matt of your board