So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#11messhiaunedPosted 1/9/2013 7:08:10 PM
Wind waker.
#12P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/9/2013 7:16:37 PM
You had three choices

The weakest console that played DVD and had excellent third party support

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support
---
Hello... you lost me at "hello"...
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Trine2
#13Rikkus_dadPosted 1/9/2013 7:19:54 PM
Because it simply couldn't hold a candle to the PS2's MASSIVE game library, packed to the brim with great games for every genre. There really was no contest between which was the better console unless you were a huge sucker for first party Nintendo games.
---
It's "I couldn't care less" NOT "I could care less"!! Why do 90% of English speakers get this wrong?
#14SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/9/2013 7:25:13 PM
Sony coming of the success of support of PS1 gaining large third party support + the great marketing for PS2 a cheap DVD player creating a large userbase + Sony's head start + Nintendo blowing it with the mini disc + Nintendo blowing it with the design of the console itself + Nintendo blowing it with online + Nintendo blowing it with no DVD playback (which was important at the time)
#15slyman19Posted 1/9/2013 7:25:33 PM
Rikkus_dad posted...
Because it simply couldn't hold a candle to the PS2's MASSIVE game library, packed to the brim with great games for every genre. There really was no contest between which was the better console unless you were a huge sucker for first party Nintendo games.

Or a sucker for Resident Evil. Nothing from the PS2 library could even come close to the masterpiece that is known as REmake.
#16ObtuseAnginaPosted 1/9/2013 7:27:38 PM
werent the final sales numbers make the Gamecube in the middle xbox last and ps2 first?
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/3f4yT.jpg http://www.stacksofdoom.com
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,....I'd give my life. Not for honor, but for you!
#17Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 7:27:46 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
You had three choices

The weakest console that played DVD and had excellent third party support

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support

The power of the consoles between the three were similar enough to not limit the developers for multiplats, not like the Wii was the weakest compared to the 360 or PS3, nor like the Wii U will be the PS4/720.

It was basically Nintendo and it started before the GC, it started with the Nintendo 64, everyone else switched to CD-Rom, they stayed with carts because they refused to pay Sony money, being cheap. They pissed developers off because it costs more to release a cartridge based game than it obviously does on CD.

So what did Nintendo do with the Game Cube? Cheap again, refused to license DVD support and went with their own format and screwed over developers once again. So by this time 3rd parties just said the hell with the Game Cube and that's why it did not do well.

Well, Nintendo has been doing it ever since with the Wii and now with the Wii U. Since they use their own format, their own type of disc. The duplication cost goes up some per disc, due to it not being common and can be duped any where. That's the least of their concerns now, now they said the hell with hardware and now they have their own disc format along with weak hardware so at this point, other than developers shoveling over old games from 360/PS3 over to the Wii U for a quick buck the support will go away once again with the next generation consoles coming out

BTW, the Xbox did better than the Game Cube
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#18Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 7:28:09 PM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
werent the final sales numbers make the Gamecube in the middle xbox last and ps2 first?

No, Gamecube was last
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#19Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 7:33:24 PM(edited)
SuperShyGuy9000 posted...
Sony coming of the success of support of PS1 gaining large third party support + the great marketing for PS2 a cheap DVD player creating a large userbase + Sony's head start + Nintendo blowing it with the mini disc + Nintendo blowing it with the design of the console itself + Nintendo blowing it with online + Nintendo blowing it with no DVD playback (which was important at the time)

Online support back then did not matter but only to a select few that could actually take advantage of it, majority of the US for an example still was using dial up when it released. Some parts today are still without actual broadband internet.
---
#20DarkAdonis123Posted 1/9/2013 7:31:59 PM
slyman19 posted...
Nothing from the PS2 library could even come close to the masterpiece that is known as REmake.

I'm a big RE fan and love REmake. In fact I still own and occasionally play REmake, but let's not be ridiculous.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue