So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#101FireWyvern4000Posted 1/10/2013 3:27:51 AM
How about, because it died out before my Nintendo 64?
#102Cranman1982Posted 1/10/2013 3:31:01 AM
Lack of third party support. Same reason every home console since the SNES has done bad for nintendo. Lack of third party support
#103MarioFanaticXVPosted 1/10/2013 3:45:21 AM
HeaderHog posted...
Enigma149 posted...
Because it didn't have a built-in DVD player. Then again, the Panasonic Q had one, and it did even worse...

If I had to guess, it's because it didn't cater to casuals. Look at all the best-selling systems The NES, the PS1, the PS2, and the Wii all catered to casuals. Heck, even the SNES targeted a wider audience than the Genesis. Casuals sell systems.

It's Nintendo.
They ALWAYS cater to casuals.

The DS had a set of cames designed to cater to casuals (Touch Generation), and the Wii U is focusing on trying to draw casuals away from the 360... I really don't see how two platforms (neither of which solely was made to cater to casuals) are "always".
---
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:"
1 Tim 6:20
#104MarioFanaticXVPosted 1/10/2013 3:47:24 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
You had three choices

The weakest console that played DVD and had excellent third party support

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support

I'm confused... I'm guessing the PS2 is the last one, since it's the only one of the three that had an actual harddrive (well, the original model, at least). But the DreamCast couldn't play DVDs, and I'm not sure I'd say it had "excellent 3rd party support". Also, the PS2 was weaker than the GameCube. The GameCube was the strongest console of its generation.
---
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:"
#105El_ZaggyPosted 1/10/2013 3:51:54 AM
because nintendo did not 'age' with the gamers. Gamers have an average age between 30 and 40. Nintendo still do games for little kids with no appeal at all for older gamers, like myself. I've not been concerned by a nintendo game or consle since the snes back in the good old days.
#106P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/10/2013 5:42:39 AM
MarioFanaticXV posted...
You had three choices

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support

I'm confused... I'm guessing the PS2 is the last one, since it's the only one of the three that had an actual harddrive (well, the original model, at least). But the DreamCast couldn't play DVDs, and I'm not sure I'd say it had "excellent 3rd party support". Also, the PS2 was weaker than the GameCube. The GameCube was the strongest console of its generation.

It's PS2, Gamecube and Xbox
---
Hello... you lost me at "hello"...
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Trine2
#107MarioFanaticXVPosted 1/10/2013 6:29:03 AM
MarioFanaticXV posted...
You had three choices

Still confused, because even if we count the X-Box (which really doesn't compare to the big three of the generation), the GameCube still had the best technical specs, and it couldn't play DVDs.
---
#108P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/10/2013 6:49:43 AM
MarioFanaticXV posted...
MarioFanaticXV posted...
You had three choices

Still confused, because even if we count the X-Box (which really doesn't compare to the big three of the generation), the GameCube still had the best technical specs, and it couldn't play DVDs.

The XBox was stronger than the Gamecube
---
Hello... you lost me at "hello"...
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Trine2
#109PaladinrjaPosted 1/10/2013 6:49:44 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Actually, the Xbox had a much more powerful CPU than the GameCube had. Ironically, the GameCube had a much more powerful GPU than the Xbox, meaning it could produce better-looking games.

Of course, since neither console ever pushed its hardware as far as it could go, the point is rather irrelevant.

This quite true. Its why the NGC was voted best of. We're in the days of P2/P3, Celeron II's. Most code could run on P1s back then, the tech was moving 3x as fast as our understanding of how to use it.
The NGC GPU did some serious poly's. Xbox was good, I was a big fan of Halo, Rogue Trooper on it. Towards the end of the gen alot of games came out for PS2 & Xbox, whilst NGC had dried up due to dwindling support. I remember reading many articles at the time from diff mags & sites claiming the end of the gen. Most pretty explicitly put the NGC @ the top of their list, often trying to expose why it didn't do as well as it should've. Most of those articles pretty unanimously cited Nintendo's lack of marketting as the reason.
#110bigphil2003Posted 1/10/2013 6:51:39 AM
Hold on, someone's actually saying the Xbox doesn't compare to the Dreamcast? Wise up.
---
Rest In Peace Stretch - We miss you homie