So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#111TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 6:57:50 AM
Because of momentum. PS1 absolutely destroyed N64, and without some kind of massive screwup by the market leader, it's impossible to reverse that kind of trend. Gamers and developers will just continue to support whoever's in the lead until something makes them change.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#112PaladinrjaPosted 1/10/2013 7:34:53 AM
Terotrous posted...
Because of momentum. PS1 absolutely destroyed N64, and without some kind of massive screwup by the market leader, it's impossible to reverse that kind of trend. Gamers and developers will just continue to support whoever's in the lead until something makes them change.

I didn't know many people with a PS then. Think just about everyone had a N64. Goldeneye, ya know, Zelda OoT? two of the highest rated games in history.
Others pretty popular 1080 Snowboarding, Bust-a-move, Carmeggadon, Banjo Kazooie, Clayfighters, WWF games, C&C, Castlevanias, Cruisin'this'n'that, Doom, Quake, Extreme G, F-Zero, Gauntlets, Harvest moon, HEXEN, Mario - Golfs - Tennis - Parties, NBA's, Penny Racers, Daikatana, Pokemons, Pilot Wings, Perfect Dark, StarFoxs, Starcraft, Tom Clancy's, Stunt Racer, Wipeouts, Wave race, Worms, Yoshi's. Hell the list goes on forever.
But you're right, the NGC didn't catalyse change, for some reason.
I wouldn't say PS took off til the PS2, which came out very quickly for a high price. Out of curiosity I got a PS1 @ the end along with a buncha games that really didn't do much for me. The Syphon Philter series however, I loved.
#113ish0turfac3Posted 1/10/2013 7:39:08 AM
All this "catered to casuals" bull**** is getting really f***ing annoying. I wasn't aware that mario was for casuals.. people don't seem to know what casual even means.

"Nintendo is for casuals. Durrrr" "ps3/360 is for hardcore" "I'm hardcore even though I only play cod"

Give me a break.. f***ing idiots.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
"Beef is evil chicken"
#114ish0turfac3Posted 1/10/2013 7:41:18 AM
Cranman1982 posted...
Lack of third party support. Same reason every home console since the SNES has done bad for nintendo. Lack of third party support
*facepalm*
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
"Beef is evil chicken"
#115trenkenPosted 1/10/2013 7:43:17 AM
HeaderHog posted...
I can understand why the Wii U might not do well, (or not,) or why the Wii was hated (or loved)
But why the hell did the GameCube do badly?
It had some very good games for its time, good 3rd party support, and some killer launch items.
So, why didn't it do well?

PS2

/topic
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#116PaladinrjaPosted 1/10/2013 7:44:44 AM
ish0turfac3 posted...
All this "catered to casuals" bull**** is getting really f***ing annoying. I wasn't aware that mario was for casuals.. people don't seem to know what casual even means.

"Nintendo is for casuals. Durrrr" "ps3/360 is for hardcore" "I'm hardcore even though I only play cod"

Give me a break.. f***ing idiots.

Ya know whats even funnier? I had two posts removed for flaming yesterday. They were pretty tame. These guys flame the living f*** outta this board & the mods do F/A daily!
#117excitebike64Posted 1/10/2013 7:57:25 AM
The Gamecube looked like a toy. I truly believe that was what held it back. It can't be because of the format or lack of DVD movie ability or the Wii would have done poorly.
#118excitebike64Posted 1/10/2013 8:08:05 AM
mini_blight posted...
OzzieArcane posted...
The problem was the Gamecube was coming in after the N64 and the N64 had very poor 3rd party support. So many games jumped ship after the SNES. The PS1 dominated that console generation and then the PS2 was the first console to have backwards compatibility meaning all those people who bought the PS1 could get a new system that would still play their old games.

This is true. Nice to see some accurate history in this topic for a change.

I hope you know the PS2 was NOT the first backwards compatible machine. If you believe this, sorry, wrong.
#119TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 8:16:22 AM
Paladinrja posted...
I didn't know many people with a PS then. Think just about everyone had a N64. Goldeneye, ya know, Zelda OoT? two of the highest rated games in history.

Of course, it's always possible to see small areas that go against the trend, but PS1 still outsold N64 3 to 1 worldwide.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#120mashuPosted 1/10/2013 8:16:56 AM
Terotrous posted...

Pretty much this. Everyone I knew had a PS1 back then, myself included. N64 was the only Nintendo console I skipped. I only knew one person with one despite loving Ninetendo from the NES/SNES days. CDs were the newer medium and the PS1 had a good enough library that I never picked up an N64, even though it was always on my mind to do so at some point. Enter the PS2 with backward compatibility and and a DVD player and as a PS1 owner you were almost guaranteed to get the PS2, which then rode a huge wave of momentum. I did get a GC also - and loved it - but the switch between the N64 and the GC wasn't as graceful, and the GC had smaller media then the PS2 in terms of storage. That didn't hold developers back in all cases, but they had mostly already embraced the PS1 as their priority and that carried on into the PS2.