So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#131TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 8:38:28 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
If there were so many good first party exclusives no disc size or console design issues would have made it sell more poorly than the abominable Nintendo 64.

Not really, first party can't carry a system on its own. GC may have like 15-20 great first-party games, but that's not really enough to justify buying it over PS2 and its hundreds of exclusives.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#132Bahamut_10thPosted 1/10/2013 8:40:45 AM(edited)
My PS2 gave me less issues than my N64 or Wii ever did.
In fact it's still running just as good as the day I purchased it...

I love Nintendo, but really, you don't need to be a genius to see how the Gamecube was easily their worst console, not counting the ones that wouldn't last a single year.

Terotrous posted...
Bahamut_10th posted...
If there were so many good first party exclusives no disc size or console design issues would have made it sell more poorly than the abominable Nintendo 64.

Not really, first party can't carry a system on its own. GC may have like 15-20 great first-party games, but that's not really enough to justify buying it over PS2 and its hundreds of exclusives.

Nintendo 64.
#133Sir_HaxorPosted 1/10/2013 8:40:27 AM
excitebike64 posted...
The Gamecube had a handle. The controllers looked like toys vs the competition.
Not dissing the Gamecube, but it looked like a toy. The other two looked a lot more like consoles do to today.

Oh, and the Gamecube had a handle.

Is there something mentally wrong with me then? I just don't understand this toy thing. I've never thought that about a game console. I also thought that handle was awesome. Made carrying the GC from a different room cool and easier. I wish all systems had handles actually. Plus if you dropped a GC you were good. Drop a PS2 and your SOL. PS2's broke like mad.

I just feel weird with the toy comments. Is that an American thing?
---
3DS Friend Code: 0559-6940-0140
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#134TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 8:47:38 AM(edited)
Bahamut_10th posted...
Nintendo 64.

N64 didn't have a lot of third-party exclusives, but it had more than GC. Also, it still got smoked by PS1, in large part because the carts scared off third-party developers.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#135DJNfinityPosted 1/10/2013 8:49:07 AM
They didn't release Smash soon enough.
---
Nostalgia-~-[+..oo]
#136excitebike64Posted 1/10/2013 8:59:47 AM
Sir_Haxor posted...
excitebike64 posted...
Not dissing the Gamecube, but it looked like a toy. The other two looked a lot more like consoles do to today.

Is there something mentally wrong with me then? I just don't understand this toy thing. I've never thought that about a game console. I also thought that handle was awesome. Made carrying the GC from a different room cool and easier. I wish all systems had handles actually. Plus if you dropped a GC you were good. Drop a PS2 and your SOL. PS2's broke like mad.

Oh, I get it.

Yes, it is an American thing. People here are obsessed with image. To have a PS2 for the typical male (or xbox) , means less chance of a girlfriend caring.

At the time, the very site of a gamecube would scream kiddie to a typical teenage angst girl.

At least, that is the perception. How true that is, is unclear.

Or hanging out with jocks (or bros) the site of something like the Gamecube meant at least some backlash.

Even the magazines here in the US, gaming magazines, took the time to point out the kiddie Gamecube look.

Nintendo really gimped itself with the Gamecube design. The only third party support Nintendo really lacked was the RPGs and the sandbox style games. If more consoles sold, they would have gotten more games. Over 600 titles, they still did decent.
#137meiyukiPosted 1/10/2013 9:05:24 AM
Sir_Haxor posted...
excitebike64 posted...

It's people who are not mature enough to not be obsessed with trying to look adult. It's the same crowd that thinks only M rated games are worth playing and if a game is colorful it's childish. It's the same people in the C.S Lewis quote you see going already all the time, and it's the same people that think their maturity is determined by what console they buy.

This is generally teenagers and the frat boy crowd of college age(though some people never grow out of it).
#138excitebike64Posted 1/10/2013 9:32:57 AM
meiyuki posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...
excitebike64 posted...

It's people who are not mature enough to not be obsessed with trying to look adult. It's the same crowd that thinks only M rated games are worth playing and if a game is colorful it's childish. It's the same people in the C.S Lewis quote you see going already all the time, and it's the same people that think their maturity is determined by what console they buy.

This is generally teenagers and the frat boy crowd of college age(though some people never grow out of it).

Actually, most people never grow out of it. It's not some. Most.
Technology is slowly washing out the hard lines of society however.
So that's a plus.
#139Frozenx07Posted 1/10/2013 9:35:27 AM
Sir_Haxor posted...
excitebike64 posted...

I never had a problem with the look of the console either. I thought and still think it looks cool. No problem with the color or the handle. It can't just be an American thing. I'm American.
---
Animal Crossing: City Folk
John Atlantis 0132-8718-5558
#140ilexukiPosted 1/10/2013 10:07:56 AM
while the xbox andps2 was getting sequels to popular franchises and new ips, the gamecube was getting shovelware. lack of strong first party and third party support made the GC unattractive. that gen i got a gamecube first ,riding off the 64 era's high and expecting more of that greatness. what i got was a system i rarely played and a lot of disappointment.

shovelware, just like the wii, the gamecube was filled with shovelware. the difference between the wii and the gamcube is when nintendo actually did decide to make a game, they actually tried on the gamecube, whereas with the wii they just throw some waggle on it and call it a day.
---
The weak die out and the strong survive....which are you?