So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#21messhiaunedPosted 1/9/2013 7:33:07 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
You had three choices

The weakest console that played DVD and had excellent third party support

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support

The power of the consoles between the three were similar enough to not limit the developers for multiplats, not like the Wii was the weakest compared to the 360 or PS3, nor like the Wii U will be the PS4/720.

It was basically Nintendo and it started before the GC, it started with the Nintendo 64, everyone else switched to CD-Rom, they stayed with carts because they refused to pay Sony money, being cheap. They pissed developers off because it costs more to release a cartridge based game than it obviously does on CD.

So what did Nintendo do with the Game Cube? Cheap again, refused to license DVD support and went with their own format and screwed over developers once again. So by this time 3rd parties just said the hell with the Game Cube and that's why it did not do well.

Well, Nintendo has been doing it ever since with the Wii and now with the Wii U. Since they use their own format, their own type of disc. The duplication cost goes up some per disc, due to it not being common and can be duped any where. That's the least of their concerns now, now they said the hell with hardware and now they have their own disc format along with weak hardware so at this point, other than developers shoveling over old games from 360/PS3 over to the Wii U for a quick buck the support will go away once again with the next generation consoles coming out

BTW, the Xbox did better than the Game Cube

Multiplats won't be a problem between ps4/720/wii u
#22HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:34:01 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
You had three choices

The stronger console that only played games and was known for first party support

The strongest console that could play DVDs and had an internal harddrive with basic support

The power of the consoles between the three were similar enough to not limit the developers for multiplats, not like the Wii was the weakest compared to the 360 or PS3, nor like the Wii U will be the PS4/720.

It was basically Nintendo and it started before the GC, it started with the Nintendo 64, everyone else switched to CD-Rom, they stayed with carts because they refused to pay Sony money, being cheap. They pissed developers off because it costs more to release a cartridge based game than it obviously does on CD.

So what did Nintendo do with the Game Cube? Cheap again, refused to license DVD support and went with their own format and screwed over developers once again. So by this time 3rd parties just said the hell with the Game Cube and that's why it did not do well.

Well, Nintendo has been doing it ever since with the Wii and now with the Wii U. Since they use their own format, their own type of disc. The duplication cost goes up some per disc, due to it not being common and can be duped any where. That's the least of their concerns now, now they said the hell with hardware and now they have their own disc format along with weak hardware so at this point, other than developers shoveling over old games from 360/PS3 over to the Wii U for a quick buck the support will go away once again with the next generation consoles coming out

...I just wanted stuff about the GameCube, thanks.
And it couldn't have been THAT hard for devs to change the format.
The power of the systems were basically on par, and it was all on a disc.
There were a crapload of multiplats.
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#23BkzUziPosted 1/9/2013 7:34:08 PM
Playstation 2.
It is the god console.
#24Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 7:35:43 PM
messhiauned posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
You had three choices

Yes they will, ram is important for a console. Developers state that all the time, the Xbox 720/PS4 will have at least 4GB, that's double the RAM alone. Wii U only has 1 GB that's usable for a game, 1GB for O/S, if you use that ratio and then the Wii U's usable ram for games is 3 to 1

So if the game is developed for a system with 3x the ram, how the hell they gonna scale it down to a version that'll compete with the other versions?
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#25HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:36:50 PM
Can we stay on topic, here?
---
#26HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:38:01 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
messhiauned posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
You had three choices

Yes they will, ram is important for a console. Developers state that all the time, the Xbox 720/PS4 will have at least 4GB, that's double the RAM alone. Wii U only has 1 GB that's usable for a game, 1GB for O/S, if you use that ratio and then the Wii U's usable ram for games is 3 to 1

So if the game is developed for a system with 3x the ram, how the hell they gonna scale it down to a version that'll compete with the other versions?

More behind the scenes load times, and more regular load times.
---
#27SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/9/2013 7:39:31 PM
HeaderHog posted...

...I just wanted stuff about the GameCube, thanks.
And it couldn't have been THAT hard for devs to change the format.
The power of the systems were basically on par, and it was all on a disc.
There were a crapload of multiplats.

True nothing was stopping them the GameCube just didn't have a big enough base to justify going the extra mile. The 7th gen has evidence they didn't stop making 360 games because it has a smaller storage medium, people don't have problems with disc swapping.
#28Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/9/2013 7:42:50 PM(edited)
HeaderHog posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
messhiauned posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
You had three choices

More behind the scenes load times, and more regular load times.

but it still wouldn't compete with the other versions, with surveys and what not, most people own two or more current generation console systems. So they have a choice in the version they purchase. Developers knows people will always go for the superior version of a game. It's human nature to want the best

Edit: Which is also a reason of the Game Cube falling behind, the versions were similar graphically but the disc issue caused disc swapping and what not annoyances and people bought other versions instead due to that. I done that with a few titles actually.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#29HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:42:18 PM
I take it was because of the rise of the "hardcore", then?
---
#30OzzieArcanePosted 1/9/2013 7:42:20 PM
The problem was the Gamecube was coming in after the N64 and the N64 had very poor 3rd party support. So many games jumped ship after the SNES. The PS1 dominated that console generation and then the PS2 was the first console to have backwards compatibility meaning all those people who bought the PS1 could get a new system that would still play their old games.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com