So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#51PaladinrjaPosted 1/9/2013 8:46:26 PM
HeaderHog posted...
I can understand why the Wii U might not do well, (or not,) or why the Wii was hated (or loved)
But why the hell did the GameCube do badly?
It had some very good games for its time, good 3rd party support, and some killer launch items.
So, why didn't it do well?

While I won't dispute what anyone says here is true. My take on it from memory was rather different. Sony had a rather agressive marketting campaign, touting the system as the grown ups version. Sony isn't just tv's & games. Its also movies & music. As so many popular actors & musicians in the late 90's, they were actually claused in their contracts to advertise the PS2 as their console of choice. Truth was few if any of those artists at the time had anything to do with the system at all. The extensive buzz marketting campaign worked amazingly. Gen Y were becomming teenies & you can guess the rest.
The NGC increasingly came under attack from Sony, Nintendo's own lack of equally agressive marketting kinda painted them a target. Truth was the NGC was the best of the bunch, clearly so and it had the best games on it because of this.
Wasn't a matter of exclusives, such concepts didn't really weigh in then. Simply games like Factor 5 - Rogue Squadron could not run on it without some heavy duty watering down.
Nintendo counted on the hardware to speak for the console, but most devs just didn't need such heavy duty hardware for their games & saw no point developing for it.
Of course, the following gen looked good for Nintendo, unfortuntely Sony & MS came of age, then came to the party with the PS3 & 360. However the real battle was for a single title & the end ofthe gen. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. This game, originally designed for the cube. Was turned to the Sony side by a very weakened confidence in Nintendo's console & a little pocket greasing for Rockstar. GTA:SA was responsible for selling a stupid amount of PS2's. Much more was going on between Sony & Nintendo in the courts. This is the essence of it. I think in the end, a combination of 90's pop culture, Sony's underhandedness & GTA:SA led many to believe Sony was some badass yakuza type company. They'd certainly become the 'other' rovkstars of their time. Truth was by gen 7 people quickly began to see Sony did not have their best interests at heart, the rest is as you probably know it.
#52EazyERockPosted 1/9/2013 8:50:35 PM
the controller sucks
---
not changing this sig until RG3 wins Rookie of the Year
Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive.. Ya Mad Bro?
#53softballumpirePosted 1/9/2013 8:51:15 PM
HeaderHog posted...
I can understand why the Wii U might not do well, (or not,) or why the Wii was hated (or loved)
It had some very good games for its time, good 3rd party support, and some killer launch items.

couple of reason
small disk
kiddy imagine really did affect it
people don't like the square console.

Its hard to compete with ps2 and xbox.
#54HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 8:58:08 PM
genlock posted...
Post SNES Nintendo stopped innovating in the same way. Their original titles suffered, they stopped catering to the consumer end model and began catering to their own ideology of what consumers should want.

Post 64.
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#55PaladinrjaPosted 1/9/2013 9:00:36 PM
softballumpire posted...
HeaderHog posted...

couple of reason
small disk

Lol, wasn't hard at all. It was industry voted as best in every class (the industry was divided on the controller), apart from sales by the end of Gen 6. Every mag, every site.
Everyone was perplexed. Sony smear & fear campaign, coupled with GTA:SA & Sing star worked well. Neither Xbox nor PS2 had the quality of games the NGC had, nor the power to run them as the 'kiddy box' could.
#56ArcadianGenesisPosted 1/9/2013 9:03:16 PM
It actually did pretty well. Why do you think it didn't?
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#57HeaderHog(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 9:06:33 PM
ArcadianGenesis posted...
It actually did pretty well. Why do you think it didn't?

It might have done well in general profits.
But, APPARENTLY that doesn't cut it.
It has to be BETTER than other consoles to make profits.
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#58genlockPosted 1/9/2013 9:14:24 PM
HeaderHog posted...
genlock posted...
Post SNES Nintendo stopped innovating in the same way. Their original titles suffered, they stopped catering to the consumer end model and began catering to their own ideology of what consumers should want.

Post 64.

I can see this. I disagree. But I can see the value in this criticism.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#59Enigma149Posted 1/9/2013 9:15:59 PM
Paladinrja posted...
softballumpire posted...
HeaderHog posted...

couple of reason
small disk

Lol, wasn't hard at all. It was industry voted as best in every class (the industry was divided on the controller), apart from sales by the end of Gen 6. Every mag, every site.
Everyone was perplexed. Sony smear & fear campaign, coupled with GTA:SA & Sing star worked well. Neither Xbox nor PS2 had the quality of games the NGC had, nor the power to run them as the 'kiddy box' could.

Actually, the Xbox had a much more powerful CPU than the GameCube had. Ironically, the GameCube had a much more powerful GPU than the Xbox, meaning it could produce better-looking games.

Of course, since neither console ever pushed its hardware as far as it could go, the point is rather irrelevant.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; PSN: CrimsonEnigma (not currently in use)
'If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature' -squatch
#60legisu86Posted 1/9/2013 9:23:13 PM(edited)
During the N64 fiasco most gamers migrated for Playstation, since Nintendo started to get more strict with their child policies. While N64 had one Banjo Kazooie clone released every month, Playstation owners had Final Fantasy, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil, Marvel vs Capcon, Dragon Quest, Dragon Ball, Gran Turismo, Street Fighter, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, etc.
So, people didn't trusted Game Cube
---
My three major game trauma: Shenmue, Xenogears and Xenosaga
I'm a badass reporter!!