So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#71KarnRX78Posted 1/9/2013 10:13:22 PM
I don't think I've played a game on the gamecube.

At the time the gamecube didn't provide anything I wanted. PS2 had the games, it had a DVD player, it was backwards compatible. I've only bought nintendo handhelds since then, Nintendo home consoles just haven't offered games that I want to play. However I'm willing to give the Wii U a try once more games are released.
#72AtalalamaPosted 1/9/2013 10:18:48 PM
KarnRX78 posted...
I don't think I've played a game on the gamecube.

At the time the gamecube didn't provide anything I wanted. PS2 had the games, it had a DVD player, it was backwards compatible. I've only bought nintendo handhelds since then, Nintendo home consoles just haven't offered games that I want to play. However I'm willing to give the Wii U a try once more games are released.

Ahh, thanks. I knew I forgot something.

6th, was backward compatibility. The PS2 started off with a massive library from the prev. gen. due to backward compatibility with PS1 games, while offering to smoothen the textures & speed-up the disc speed (which turned out to be HILARIOUS for games like Silent Hill). Mom & pop were more than happy to learn that the new, $400 system could play little Johnny & Suzie's old PS1 games as well. That's VALUE.
#73DarthCarissPosted 1/9/2013 11:23:13 PM
I'm not sure why the GameCube didn't do better, really. It had some of my favorite video games I've ever played. Resident Evil 4 is probably one of my favorite games of all time (though it's available everywhere now, it was a GameCube exclusive for a while), and it had the amazing Resident Evil 1 remake (still to this day the best video game remake I've ever seen). Smash Brothers Melee, Eternal Darkness, and many other great games easily make it my favorite console of the PS2/Xbox/GC era.

Maybe people hated that the console had a handle on it.
#74helldewPosted 1/9/2013 11:31:00 PM
Gamecube has majority of my favorite games of all time on it. I cant say that for any other system rather it be PC SNES GBA PSP DS PS2 etc. the quality of the top gamecube titles is just crazy good. Seriouly Metriod prime 1 and 2 are some gold right there. Tales of symponia is fantastic Paper mario TTYD F Zero GX FE POR.. then it had some nice mutiplayer games to i spent hours upon hours playing gladius James bond nightfire Custom robo,XIII FSA phantasy star melee Pokemon Collosum and what not.

yeah the gamecube just kicks ass. I like the PS2 but IMO gamecube has more games that just stood out. while the PS2 had a ton of good games it didnt have nearly as many great games. and the gamecubes easy 4 player support made mutiplayer far more enjoyable and easy to setup.
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#75FaycelessPosted 1/9/2013 11:43:07 PM
It was an ugly purple box.

Seriously, shallow as that may seem, first impressions are everything. And most non-Nintendo fans look at that box, then look at the PS2. The PS2 looks more like a serious gaming machine. The GameCube looks like a little kid's toy. Sure, many true gamers won't be dissuaded by such a thing, but most console purchases are not "true gamers." They DO let things like that influence their decisions.

Truly terrible marketing decision that limited sales largely to the Nintendo fan base. It is sad, the system had many great games.
#76Charles_DaBeastPosted 1/9/2013 11:47:33 PM
In Australia at least, lack of DVD movie playback was a massive contributor to why people opted for the other consoles. Xbox only picked up towards the end of the lifecycle when there were no new GameCube games coming out. GameCube is my favourite generation so far. Loved everything about it.
---
Wii U Nintendo ID - CharlesDaBeast
#77mini_blightPosted 1/10/2013 12:05:29 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
It was basically Nintendo and it started before the GC, it started with the Nintendo 64, everyone else switched to CD-Rom, they stayed with carts because they refused to pay Sony money, being cheap. They pissed developers off because it costs more to release a cartridge based game than it obviously does on CD.

So you'd gladly pay your biggest enemy at the time to use their tech? Hilarious. What makes you think Sony would have even allowed Nintendo to use it at all?

They pissed some developers off. Keyword: Some. The N64 did get some good third party support. Not a lot, but it did get some. As did the Gamecube.

And don't even try arguing costs. If that's all that mattered, the DS would have got the vast majority of all support this past gen, since it was the cheapest to develop for.

So what did Nintendo do with the Game Cube? Cheap again, refused to license DVD support and went with their own format and screwed over developers once again.

No, they did what they had to do to avoid dealing with Sony. You know, Sony, Nintendo's mortal gaming enemy? lmao

And what developers did Nintendo screw over here? The ones that were long gone since the previous gen and were firmly in Sony's camp for the PS2?

Well, Nintendo has been doing it ever since with the Wii and now with the Wii U. Since they use their own format, their own type of disc. The duplication cost goes up some per disc, due to it not being common and can be duped any where.

BTW, the Xbox did better than the Game Cube

Yes, Nintendo likes using it's own tech. The horror! Sony does the same. Blu ray, anyone? DVD? CD? And guess what, every third party developer paid to use it. According to you that's "screwing the developers!"

So, basically your viral marketing here boils down to nothing more than "if Nintendo does what Sony and MS do, it's wrong and screws people over."
#78zalak321Posted 1/10/2013 12:14:40 AM
People could not handle how insanely awesome it was.
---
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH
#79turtlej-manPosted 1/10/2013 12:14:55 AM
Fayceless posted...
It was an ugly purple box.

Seriously, shallow as that may seem, first impressions are everything. And most non-Nintendo fans look at that box, then look at the PS2. The PS2 looks more like a serious gaming machine. The GameCube looks like a little kid's toy. Sure, many true gamers won't be dissuaded by such a thing, but most console purchases are not "true gamers." They DO let things like that influence their decisions.

Truly terrible marketing decision that limited sales largely to the Nintendo fan base. It is sad, the system had many great games.

I will admit, this was a factor in my initial decision to skip the GameCube. I was in that weird phase where I was trying to look older. The design of the GameCube screams child. My eye was drawn towards the Xbox. It looked very powerful on its own, and had games like Dead or Alive 3, Halo, and by the time I actually got the system..Knights off the Old Republic.

There were some things about the GameCube I was interested in though.. I thought the mini discs were really cool, and I love Nintendo games.

But DVD playback was a pretty big deal too, so that was what pushed me to Xbox. I was a little disappointed to learn I had to get the playback kit to watch dvds on it, but oh well.

I love the Xbox. A few of my favorite games ever were on it..like Ninja Gaiden Black.
---
If a Killer Instinct 3 is never made....AT LEAST PUT THE FIRST 2 ON XBLA!!!!!
#80mini_blightPosted 1/10/2013 12:20:29 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Might have been the storage medium (1.4GB) vs the 4.7GB DVDs the competition used.

Nope. None of them had a problem putting out 4 disc PSX games during the PS/N64/SS gen. Format is just another excuse.

Xeeh_Bitz posted...
the Xbox 720/PS4 will have at least 4GB, that's double the RAM alone.

You don't know anything about the 720 or the PS4.

Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Developers knows people will always go for the superior version of a game. It's human nature to want the best

lol Wrong. Tell that to all the inferior PS2 versions that sold truck loads better than the superior Xbox versions.

Edit: Which is also a reason of the Game Cube falling behind, the versions were similar graphically but the disc issue caused disc swapping and what not annoyances and people bought other versions instead due to that. I done that with a few titles actually.

No, you didn't. No one did that.

Just like no one complained about a ton of PSX games being 3-4 discs.

Time to find a different angle to work, Viral Marketer.

Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Nintendo as an example went casualcore with their system, the other companies continued to do what was done back in the 90s and kept on going, Nintendo just changed, not the people and the diehard Nintendo fans live in a world where they think everyone else changed but really it's them who changed

Are you done making things up?