So... Why did the GameCube not do well?

#81super_luigi16Posted 1/10/2013 12:23:23 AM
OrangeCrush980 posted...
Rikkus_dad posted...
Because it simply couldn't hold a candle to the PS2's MASSIVE game library, packed to the brim with great games for every genre. There really was no contest between which was the better console unless you were a huge sucker for first party Nintendo games.

This. The PS2 was an unstoppable monster that gen and every other home console suffered because of it. Even the GBA sold quite a bit less than Nintendo's other handhelds.

GBA is the sixth best selling console/handheld of all time with over 80 million sales.

Also, for the purview of this thread, the 3DS has sold more than the GCN >__> <__<
---
Luigi > Mario
Current Project: Paper Mario: Sticker Star FAQ/Walkthrough (co-authored with RedIsPoetic)
#82Sir_HaxorPosted 1/10/2013 12:29:55 AM
I originally had a PS2. Unfortunately it was stolen and then I got a GC. Never looked back.

Well I do have a PS2 a few ft away so I guess that's not entirely true, but GC was my favorite console during that Gen. SA2:B was amazing.

Fact: Sonic games ran much better on GC than they did on the competition. Those Sonic Heroes glitches really only happened on PS2 and Xbox. Example, everyone I talk to always joke about the team selection dialogue being cut off for some reason. For years I wondered what they were talking about. Turns out they were playing the PS2 version. I was surprised. Same thing with Frog Forest and the vine glitch.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0559-6940-0140
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#83youdonnomePosted 1/10/2013 12:32:24 AM
x23sephiroth23x posted...
the Gamecube is also technically superior than the PS2 but the Xbox is stronger than the Gamecube. so its an example of a more capable system doesnt mean more sales

Actually If I can recall the Gamecube was stronger than the Ps2. Just go back to RE4. They had to dumb down the version a bit to get it on the Ps2.
---
Check out the hot new youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersGaming4Gamers#p/a/u/1/fCXW3wQ-eZQ
#84mini_blightPosted 1/10/2013 12:33:17 AM
OzzieArcane posted...
The problem was the Gamecube was coming in after the N64 and the N64 had very poor 3rd party support. So many games jumped ship after the SNES. The PS1 dominated that console generation and then the PS2 was the first console to have backwards compatibility meaning all those people who bought the PS1 could get a new system that would still play their old games.

This is true. Nice to see some accurate history in this topic for a change.
#85JKatarnPosted 1/10/2013 12:35:33 AM
Rikkus_dad posted...
Because it simply couldn't hold a candle to the PS2's MASSIVE game library, packed to the brim with great games for every genre. There really was no contest between which was the better console unless you were a huge sucker for first party Nintendo games.

To be fair there was an awful LOT of crap in that library as well (in all three to be honest), and a large part of the PS2's success was owed to the fact that it functioned as a DVD player at release at a time when that technology was finally hitting home for the mainstream consumer. You also wouldn't have seen anything like "Rogue Leader" on the PS2 and its port of RE4 was inferior to the Gamecube. The PS2 did have some great games, but it wasn't all roses.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#86mini_blightPosted 1/10/2013 12:39:30 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
What does that have to do with the Gamecube? It had those games.

http://www.amazon.com/GAMECUBE-M-RATED/lm/30PA0KOM8M27W

and now here are the M rated games for the Wii, see the direction

http://www.amazon.com/M-Rated-Games-on-Wii/lm/RP0LSL4ZH5O0C

The SNES had very little M Rated titles. The NES had NONE.

What's your excuse now?

Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Microsoft and Sony entered the market, both companies had money to spend at the time and could release hardware at a loss to deliver a solid system where as Nintendo could not really take a loss of $120 per system sold and wait for 3rd party license fees, since they started losing them when they went cheap with the Nintendo 64 and stayed with carts instead of optical drive solutions as the other companies went with.

So here you admit that Nintendo couldn't afford to compete with MS and Sony, yet you still spin it as Nintendo choosing to be "cheap."

Bravo.
#87Bancario51Posted 1/10/2013 12:41:27 AM
because it wasnt very powerful.
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
Awesome Fighting games: TTT2, P4A and Aquapazza...
#88PUNCHOUT1116Posted 1/10/2013 12:45:09 AM
Short answers: Playstation and Halo.
---
-
Good stuff
#89Sir_HaxorPosted 1/10/2013 12:51:23 AM
Bancario51 posted...
because it wasnt very powerful.

More powerful than PS2.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0559-6940-0140
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board